Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Any tips for a newbie starting in foot surgery?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paul_UK, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everyone, I am a recently qualified pod here in the UK and have just started the Theory of Podiatric Surgery Msc, I know some people may say its a little early to do and a big jump but I really want to be a surgeon.

So do any of you more experienced Pods/Surgeons out there have any tips or pointers for a "surgical newbie" on how to deal with the workload etc or what got you through your training?

Thanks Paul

2. G Flanagan

G Flanagan Active Member

Re: Any tips for a newbie?

Hi Paul,

I'm in the second yr of the pod surg MSc in Glasgow/Edinburgh, i graduated approx 2 years ago. Yes its a big jump, but one well worth it if your up for the challenge. Make sure you have a sound basic knowledge in general podiatry before you delve to far. I now work in a surgical unit, but if your in general pod (as many are) don't despair as it gives you time to concentrate on your studies + develop your core knowledge, try and get your trust to release you for half a day here and there to observe theatre lists. don't be in a rush to complete your passport, i have not yet applied and won't be until i have finished the second year, as first impressions are everything and yes you do get another chance, but do you what you can to be prepared first time.

Good luck with your studies!

George

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Active Member

Thanks for the reply, would you recommend seeing as much surgery as possible, whether it be lower limb orthopaedic or pod surgery? or just try and see as much as possible regardless

4. G Flanagan

G Flanagan Active Member

To be honest anything would be good, just to get theatre experience, Pod Surgery would obviously be a good thing, but seeing ortho vasc etc is invaluable experience.