Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot Pressure Measurements Platform

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Romeu Araujo, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Romeu Araujo

Romeu Araujo Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

I've not had many experiences with foot pressure measurement platforms such "RSScan Gait" - there are very few commercial brands with representation in Portugal.
    The one I've seen and liked most is RSScan Gait. I'd like to know your opinion...
    If anyone has some experience with it, I'd like to know if the software version "Clinical" worth the difference of almost 2.000€ for the "Basic" version. The plate is the same.

Thanks in advance,

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. joejared

joejared Active Member

You'll be able to identify supination, pronation and how the patient is distributing weight, but you wont have altitude, and odds are, there will be a void where there should be data in the arch.. You're better off, assuming you intend to prescribe orthotics, to use something optical, and even in that part of the industry there's smoke and mirrors so be cautious in your purchases. I've seen labs try to produce orthotics from pressure data, and the results weren't pretty. When considering your purchase, ask yourself how you would correlate pressure to altitude, where, in fact, no data exists.

4. Romeu Araujo

Joejared,

I'm the one who makes the orthotics.
    The device would be for clinical purposes only, not as a measurement device to send data to a laboratory.

Best regards,

5. joejared

joejared Active Member

Ah, okay. This brought to mind objectives in various tasks. For example, the objective of scanning is to replace plaster and physical casts. A pressure mapping system is more apt to replace carbon paper, providing more information than what you could get from that paper, because it quantifies variances in pressure. It is probably more useful for gait analysis and has some use in determining posture but so does actual observation of the calcaneous and anterior surface of the foot. It seems ironic that the vary pressures sensors that were used to open doors were mostly replaced with optical sensors used to detect motion.

6. Joe, do you understand the concepts of kinetics versus kinematics and how that relates to foot orthoses? Or, do you just feel the need to mention foot scanning in every post you put on this forum? Let's just reflect, what have you actually added to this discussion? I DON'T CARE IF MY ORTHOSES HAVEN'T ALTERED FOOT POSITION BECAUSE.... Answers on a postcard to the guy trying to sell scanners.

7. joejared

joejared Active Member

You insist that I am trying to sell scanners here. The fact is, you are trying to sell my scanners here. As a matter of fact, you're becoming my best marketing agent, if you think long enough about it. As to the 'every post' comment, it's not accurate. Here, I was discussing what could and couldn't be obtained from a pressure mapping system, noting the co$t of the system he mentioned, not mentioningI had one for sale, nor the benefits of my product. Feel free to continue to accuse and harrass though. I've gotten used to it.

8. joejared

joejared Active Member

As has been discussed here and as I have been corrected, even by your own writings, there are opinions and then there are facts. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at least one kook didn't join this forum simply to stalk me but it's really not relevent to why I'm here. As to my name, I'm well known by my middle and last name, but in business, my full legal name is used. Many people do that, and it's not unique. When I saw your name, my first thought was kirby skive.

When I first read your response, it seemed to point to a completely different page, with the usual kook responses, but this time I looked at it, there was more accurate information, for all it matters here. You may also note that I don't subscribe to the stigma that is often associated with someone having a mental illness or being an alcoholic, any more than you would if someone had a callous on their big toe for a bit of functional halix limitus. Yesterday marked 2000 days since I drank my last drop of alcohol, which also has little if any relevence, but it was sort of poetic to see my past laid out in front of me on that particular day. It hasn't been a source of shame in years but marked specific points of recovery for both mental illness and alcoholism.

What wasn't covered there was my mental state at the time, which I sought help for, a hospitalization in early 2007 for a medically induced manic episode, and now a divorce, but it will show up eventually because my life is so entertaining. It surprises me that there was never a mention of July 1, 2001, nor being in a drunk tank in canada on august 11, 2001, which began my first attempt at sobriety, which lasted until January 3, 2003, at approximately 12:45AM Yes, living in California didn't help, being sued over a silly hobby didn't help, attempting to take care of a mentally ill wife wasn't capable of didn't help, and yet, here I am. I haven't had much of a private life in years and have learned to expect not to have much of one, ever. To be honest, you'd think people would get bored with it, but well, I guess it is entertaining and comercial free. Still, there's no relevence to here and now other than for myself to know that if I don't take care of my health, it'll take care of me, and one drink and my past will become my present. My illness actually has also been an asset and I embrace it as a part of me, and my inventions. As to my current tax problems, I'm down to $7K for California and under $12K owed my lawyer.

On to more important matters, if you don't mind.

A couple years ago, a customer asked me to create a code for a lateral heel skive, to which I complied, but since you are the inventor of the kirby skive, would you care to comment on its merits or lack thereof?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  9. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Lets deal with the facts here, not dig up personal history like that

10. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Romeu

I use and recommend the Footwork Pro AM3 from Contemplas (www.contemplas.com). It is a capacitor system with USB connectivity and has a very high spec in terms of data output. Its the most user friendly system I've come across and has all the functions you would require. Price is very competitive (or even cheap) compared to other systems.

Dave

11. Romeu Araujo

Thank you David.

I'll contact the dealer to find out more. As as wrote before, there are few representations of this kind of products in Portugal.

Best regards.

12. Joe:

I don't think we needed quite so much detail about your personal life. Next time, if you simply would introduce yourself to the forum, tell us right off the bat that you sell scanners, and then engage in academic discussions with no glorification of your own product that you sell, then I think you would certainly be very welcome here.

Now, let's start over again........

The lateral heel skive is an orthosis technique I created in order to increase the subtalar joint pronation moment in a select number of patients. I probably use the lateral heel skive modification in one of every 30 orthoses I make and have found it extremely useful in chronic lateral ankle instability, lateral dorsal midfoot interosseous compression syndrome, peroneal tendinitis/tendinopathy and plantar compression syndromes of the lateral column. We have discussed the lateral heel skive a few times before on Podiatry Arena. You may want to check the archives.

Hope this helps.

13. joejared

joejared Active Member

That works for me. I've already been doing that, fwiw. To just say I sell scanners, however is inadequate, as you might read from my responses to individuals here. I'm very interested in newer methods and dialog that goes on about them. You might also note that I do have a preference of scanners that actually produce 3D data but I think that is warranted. I've worked with many scanners out there and have had to say on more than one occasion that the output data is inadequate. Naturally, badmouthing a vendor of scanners is both in bad taste and usually involves lawyers so I just quietly tell the customer I can't support their product.

It does, but did you implement both lateral and medial? I was taught that method using a positive cast, a file and a given depth, but one variation that appears to be more popular is a skive where the x-offset and angle is provided. Finding the tangent of the heel at a given angle is easy enough, but keeping the skive to one side of heel center was not repeatable with the depths provided by the podiatrist, so often the lab will enter an angle only, which defaults to the newer method. See also: http://www.oretek.com/programmersreference/variables/#kirbyx . What I apparently haven't documented in my online manual is that when a negative angle is supplied that it becomes a lateral skive.

As soon as I saw your name I wanted to ask you about it, because my perspective would be that of a programmer implementing ideas of a lab or podiatrist, and since you designed it, I was hoping for just this insight.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  14. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Romeu

Actually it wasn't contemplas its mar-systems.co.uk, sorry about that.

Dave

15. Bill Bird

Bill Bird Active Member

Hi Romeu

I have been using a Medicaptuer Winpod for a couple of years now. The price of the platform plus the software was about £4,000 GB so your price seems good to me.

I don't think these programs do the work themselves but in the hands of someone who has a really sound feel for gait analysis, they are a valuable tool indeed. I use them in conjunction with casts, photographs, bio-mechanical assessment and foot measurments.

I can learn a lot from watching the progress of the gait cyle, frame by frame, looking at the time of contact and max pressure points. These I use to fine tune the footwear inserts to releive pressure, and develop a smooth max line.

The postural analysis can be a very useful tool for working out practical, as distinct from clinical, leg length differences.

Hope this helps, Bill

16. Romeu Araujo

Bill,

Thanks a lot for the way you put things in perspective regarding to the uses of the device you use.

The system does not cost 2000€ :( Maybe I did not express myself very well...
    The "Basic" System is around 4500€; the "Clinical" is around 6500€. The hardware is the same. The analysis software is what differs. Difference of +- 2000€. Is it worth it?

I think the prices of such systems do not vary a lot. I was just trying to find out some feedback and opinions from who owns such type of devices because I only know RSScan platform (50cm).

In some ways is like buying a car... When you sign the deal you're already loosing money ;)

Best Regards,