Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Football Boot

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Ian North, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Ian North

Ian North Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just wondering if others have had experience with these football boots.

http://www.concave.com/

Would welcome any thoughts on their claims. To my knowledge they are yet to be available in Australia?

Regards Ian

2. Jeremy Long

Jeremy Long Active Member

I don't see this as radically different than the technical shoes released by Adidas for the 1994 World Cup. They also uses a molded rubber dispersion plate over the dorsum. Although they afforded incredible shot power and spin rates to the ball, the product line eventually failed because players demanded a return to shoes with greater feel over the instep.

Maybe Dr Wander (as serious player, himself) can provide some comments.

3. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Hi Ian

Not aware of any profesionals who endorse these (or even wear them). They look the business and the added dorsal segment may indeed increase the sweet spot. Light years ago and long before 1994, I wore Tiger boots which had dorsal flap with a piece of curved polyprop ensheathed. Although I did score once or twice I would reckon I could have matched my tally anyday wearing nae boots at all.

The problem was unless the flap sat as intended then the boots had no advantage. Unlike you I did not care for my boots and as soon as the leather hardened and shrunk I was not longer able to put the polyprop back in place.

Laterally I used the empty flap to keep my chewing gum.

Dare say they have moved on from then. But a stash pocket in the boots might suit someone like Ben Cousins;)

:drinks
    toeslayer

4. Dr. DSW

Dr. DSW Active Member

I believe that there is a potential for these boots to have a place in the market. Although Jeremy makes an excellent point regarding the attempt by Adidas, the product was a different idea in my opinion.

Adidas developed the Predator series with a large surface of dorsal rubber "fins" that were not necessarily a "sweet" spot, but were supposed to allow a player to be more creative with the ball regarding spin, speed, etc.

However, many players felt that the dorsal rubber "fins" were a bit too much, and as the Predator series evolved, the dorsal rubber fins also evolved and decreased in size, shape and location. On the newest and most "expensive" Adidas Predator series, the rubber "fins" still exist, but are located at the dorsal-medial aspect of the forefoot only, really only covering the medial and dorsal aspect of the first metatarsal and hallux. The small, thin, rubber fins are actually almost incorporated into the leather, but DO still exist.

To a soccer player, the most important aspect of the game is "ball touch" and many feel that the larger fins took too much away from "ball touch".

One of the purposes of the new dorsal insert on the Concave, is to actually change the shape of the contact point, to allow a completely different touch on the ball. This way the contact will be in "tune" with the ball, theoretically allowing a more powerful and accurate shot.

Additionally, this insert may help decrease dorsal injuries to the metatarsals. It's yet to be seen whether the dorsal insert will affect "ball touch" and whether or not it will have to be reduced in size, or may eventually come in different sizes for elite players vs. recreational players, etc.

The bottom line is that although many gimmicks come and go, I believe that this shoe has some excellent ideas and has some great potential, though it may have to be "tweaked".

I will be "test driving" a pair shortly and will fill you in on my thoughts.