Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

pyrogenic granuloma

Discussion in 'Foot Surgery' started by Claudina, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Claudina

Claudina Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    First of all regards! and hope you all have had a wonderfull christmas. I would like some information on the proper surgical procedure which is best used for removing a pyrogenic granuloma on the lateral border of the hallux
    Regards
    Claudina

2. Lee

Lee Active Member

It depends how far the flames shoot out of it. :santa2:

3. Claudina

Claudina Member

lets put it that way it is inflammed and there is pus production a previous pna with phenolisation has already been performed, as igtn was suspected, i found the frost procedure, but i dont know if it is correct or if there are other procedures which can be better.

4. Dr. DSW

Dr. DSW Active Member

If there is granuloma formation, I would anesthetize the toe and first suspect that there is still some nail spicule that is still present. Often following a partial nail avulsion, I have seen that a small piece of nail or nail spicule may break off or be missed and left in the nail border. Most often, this presents at the extreme tip of the nail groove and has often been broken off prior to the patient entering your office. It is often a small spicule that almost is growing out the distal nail groove and out the end of the toe.

The patient attempts to cut the nail and leaves the small spicule behind. By the time the patient enters the office, the entire nail groove is inflamed, and when the nail border is avulsed or a P & A is performed, this small spicule is often left behind.

Therefore, I would excise/curette the granuloma (expect bleeding) and use a small curette to carefully explore the ENTIRE nail groove, especially the extreme distal groove for a small spicule. After the granuloma has been curetted and/or sharply excised, it can often be chemically cauterized with silver nitrate applicator sticks or electrically cauterized.

It is rarely necessary to perform a Frost type procedure for a granuloma. Please remember that a granuloma USUALLY occurs as a result as a reaction to some irritant. That's why I'd explore the area carefully.

Hope this helps.

5. HJM41

HJM41 Member

After a P&a possible that you just not have allowed it to drain however always take an x-ray to rull out osteo i would start with a culture open and allow to drain then do the procedure that you are best at frost winograd zadik

6. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia

I think Lee's message was a merry Christmas joke over a typo. 'pyrogenic' for pyogenic.

It is possible that the granuloma is caused by an inclusion cyst. Unusual after phenolisation but it is possible that matrical cells are still producing some nail under the eponychium. Having gone through the good advice already given - and a C & S should return a positive result if the problem is infective, I would go along with the Frost or Winograd procedure.

All the best

Bill Liggins

7. Claudina

Claudina Member

thanks very much you were very helpful with all the info you gave me
    Cant thank you enough
    Regards
    Claudine

8. Anne Marie

Anne Marie Welcome New Poster

if the pyogenic granuloma re occurs after it is curetted and chemically cauterized, would it be best to do a frost procedure or a winograd ? the lesion is on the fibular border of the hallux

thank you

anne marie ( 3rd year BSc(Hons) podiatry student at the univeristy of malta)

9. Dr. DSW

Dr. DSW Active Member

In my opinion, if any lesion recurs, in addition to considering the next procedure to perform it is imperative to also perform a biopsy. The results of the biopsy may dictate the next procedure to perform!

10. Rob Elliott

Rob Elliott Welcome New Poster

Hi Claudina

I found an article on pubmed that details a study that successfully removed pyogenic granulomas using cryosurgery. Enter pyogenic granuloma into the search facility at pubmed and you should be able to find it. A possible alternative to the suggestions in other posts.

Cheers
    Rob

11. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Hi Claudina:
    I feel motivated to add a post here since apparently you've been going back and forth.
    Re-read Dr DSW's first post (even though I hate agreeing with him! hahaha <------a joke)
    he's exactly right.
    These are not uncommon and almost always due to continued infection from a missed spicule.
    Find the offending nail, remove the granuloma and wrap it up good.
    Steve

12. Dr. DSW

Dr. DSW Active Member

Now that Steve (Dr. Arbes) has agreed with me, we can definitely put this subject to rest!!!

13. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Claudia:
    How did it go?

Steve

14. Gibby

Gibby Active Member

Dr. DSW is correct.
    Very common, most likely a nail spicule.
    Antibiotics after procedure, post-op shoe.

15. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Claudia

Regarding pyogenic granulomas, I'm not a surgeon but granulomas are very common presentation in everyday podiatry clinic and are simple to get rid of.

After removing the nail spike I usually take the bulk off with a pair of tissue cutters and then trim with a scalpel if necessary. I then pack with Seasorb and tightly dress, as also indicated by DrSarbes, with instructions to leave dressed for 5 days. I tend to avoid silver nitrate at first since people don't like a big black mark left on their toe and plus it stings like mad. I find this very successful but sometimes Silver nitrate is required.

Cheers Dave