Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

MASS again

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 31st March 2009, 02:09 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default MASS again

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Spoke to a surgical colleague yesterday. She'd seen a presentation at a conference for a whole new type of orthotic! Was very impressed and excited about it. Really good outcomes, apparently lots of people had been using them and getting much better results and presented LOADS of studies to support his claims! Wanted to know if I could make something similar or if we should start using this lab

Chap called Mr Glaser did the presentation.

How do you respond to that.

Regards
Robert
Sponsored Links
Old 31st March 2009, 02:49 AM
Administrator
Spam Buster

About:
Default Re: MASS again

Hi Robert,

He spoke at the Osteotec conference last week so expect plenty more of this to come...

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Osteotec conference programme.pdf (59.7 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Ian G : 31st March 2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Attachment
Old 31st March 2009, 03:12 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertisaacs View Post
presented LOADS of studies to support his claims!
After something CP wrote on this in another thread, I have been looking into MASS and would love to see the LOADS of studies. The only ones I could find were:
- one on plantar pressures differences; but that has nothing to do with outcomes
- one on the relibaility of the foam box castong; but that has nothing to do with outcomes
- one on gait parameter changes; but that has nothing to do with outcomes
- there was one that did look at outcomes, but the comparison group did not really have anything that could be considered an "orthotic", so don't count that one.

I could not find any good outcome studie. Would love to know where the "LOADS" are.
Old 31st March 2009, 03:28 AM
Administrator
Spam Buster

About:

Quote:
there was one that did look at outcomes, but the comparison group did not really have anything that could be considered an "orthotic", so don't count that one
You must be referring to Roberts 'favourite ever journal article' from Leslie Trotter...
Old 31st March 2009, 07:55 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

No, my favourite EVER study has got to be either the homeopathic study which showed a drop in the IM angle, as measured on an x ray, of 5 degrees from 17 degrees to 12 degrees after applying marigold paste to the bunion for 8 weeks.

Published in 2002 in the British Journal of podiatry no less!

Or possibly this one

Quote:
Marigold therapy for bunion – a randomised controlled study
Khan M T1, Khan M T2
1Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital, London, WC1 3HR, UK
2Centre for Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of London, UK
Objective
To investigate Marigold therapy in the treatment of unilateral bunion.

Materials and methods
In an 8-week randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study at the Royal London Homoeopathic Hospital 40 volunteers of mixed gender aged between 18 and 70 years, randomly selected according to inclusion and exclusion criteria and divided into active and placebo groups of 20 each, were treated once weekly in the clinic for 4 weeks, the active group receiving Marigold therapy, the placebo group placebo. Patients continued with home treatment for a further 4 weeks. Swollen soft tissue density and hallux valgus angle were measured by an independent assessor and level of pain by the patients. Data recorded pre- to post-treatment were compared for significant differences using unrelated Student t-test.

Results
The active group showed a reduction in swollen soft tissue density of 34.69%, hallux valgus angle 30% and level of pain 100% at P < 0.001 No adverse effects were noted or reported. The placebo group showed no reduction.

Conclusion
Marigold therapy is effective for all age-groups in the treatment of unilateral bunion, achieving total relief of pain, reduction of swollen soft tissue density and hallux valgus angle, thereby suggesting its usefulness as a painless, non-invasive alternative to surgery.
The first ever clinical trial in which the placebo group showed NO reduction in pain whatsoever!

So, there is the evidence. So, hands up who beleives that smearing ointment on a bunion causes the IM angle to change by 30% in 8 weeks!

Anyone?

Robert
Old 31st March 2009, 11:48 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Thanked 1,008 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:
No, my favourite EVER study has got to be either the homeopathic study which showed a drop in the IM angle, as measured on an x ray, of 5 degrees from 17 degrees to 12 degrees after applying marigold paste to the bunion for 8 weeks.

Published in 2002 in the British Journal of podiatry no less!

Or possibly this one

The first ever clinical trial in which the placebo group showed NO reduction in pain whatsoever!

So, there is the evidence. So, hands up who beleives that smearing ointment on a bunion causes the IM angle to change by 30% in 8 weeks!

Anyone?

Robert
Here's my favourite paper: Locke R.K.:Pain in the foot during orgasm. A case report
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1983 73: 271

Neuroma pain being induced in a police officer by the muscular spasm and plantarflexion of the foot when coming, as I recall.

Or,
Dockery, G.L. and Frisbee, G.L.:Rock concerts. Podiatric medical aspects. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1977 67: 249-254.

Not as interesting as it sounds- bum, bum.

There was also a number of articles from JAPA in the late fifties(?) on hypnotism and the treatment of gait disorders, verruca etc. Alas, I don't have these references any more.

The verruca one that sticks in my mind is where they took a girl with mosaic warts, hypnotised her and while she was "under" told her that they were putting a powerful acid on the warts (they actually rubbed in an emollient); that the skin would undergo the changes normally seen when an acid is applied and that the warts would go. Guess what? The skin reacted as if an acid had been applied and her warts went away.

I can't remember the details of the gait one, but it was basically instantaneous gait re-training. double

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Old 31st March 2009, 06:54 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Robert,

He spoke at the Osteotec conference last week so expect plenty more of this to come...

Ian

And I thought that Mr. Ed had retired to the stable by now.

No such luck. As long as he is making good money in the orthosis lab business and is willing to pay seminar organizers to let him speak, he will continue to do his orthosis lab informercials when and where ever he can.

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

e-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
Old 1st April 2009, 01:29 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
And I thought that Mr. Ed had retired to the stable by now.
LMAO!!!

Great. I just spilt tea all down my front! Friad he is still .

Trouble is, to the untrained eye, by which i mean people who do not live in the biomechanics world not the lay public, it LOOKS like good solid biomechanics! Misinformation is so damaging

Quote:
There was also a number of articles from JAPA in the late fifties(?) on hypnotism and the treatment of gait disorders, verruca etc. Alas, I don't have these references any more.

The verruca one that sticks in my mind is where they took a girl with mosaic warts, hypnotised her and while she was "under" told her that they were putting a powerful acid on the warts (they actually rubbed in an emollient); that the skin would undergo the changes normally seen when an acid is applied and that the warts would go. Guess what? The skin reacted as if an acid had been applied and her warts went away.
Very cool! Hypnosis is something which fascinates me, I've used it for pain relief for minor ops (on top of LA obviously) and wound debridement but it would never have occured to me to try it for a VP!

Although being the suspicious B*****D I am i can't help but wonder if they sneaked a bit of trichlor on there while she was under!

One of these days I'm going to see if i can get my PNA regrowth done using no LA. I reckon it should be do able.

Form a queue behind the thwaites nippers, no shoving at the back...

Regards
Robert
Old 1st April 2009, 04:02 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
How do you respond to that.
Nod and smile?

Facebook