Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Location Of Plantar Ulcerations In Diabetic Patients

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by Cameron, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

2. robby

robby Active Member

Interesting information particularly as Sue Barnett presented a paper at the Diabetic Foot Conference last week showing that in some pressure off loading devices you can actually increase pressure on the heel.

We need to make careful decisions on how we reduce pressure to aid the healing of all ulceration in this high risk group of patients. Again we come back to assessment as being most important in deciding treatment modalities.

3. javier

javier Senior Member

Such as?

4. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

It was a great read.We do not think of heel ulcers too much.I went to the Mt.Sinai conference for the Geriatric Foot and Ankle this weekend.One of the lecturers said that we can and should debride heel ulcers.I usually do not do this,in fact,that statement ran counter to what most of us do.Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

5. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

John,

Best practice guidelines recomend leaving an intact heel pressure ulcer blister in place, but possibly aspirating a small amount of fluid, but fully debriding using either surgical or conservative sharp debridement or mechanical methods an open pressure wound

The Queensland dept of Health produced a Pressure Ulcer Prevention and Management Resource Guide in 2004 that is pretty comprehensive.

There is also some info about prevelance in Victorian Hospitals at http://www.health.vic.gov.au/pressureulcers/

6. John Spina

John Spina Active Member

That seems about right.I am not a fan of extensive debridement of these heel ulcers as I find that they respond to topical care and better avoidance and protection of pressure points.Better padding in wheelchairs and changing positions in bed plus good nutrition(and for a lot of my patients,what they eat and drink tends to exacerbate these ulcers..their albumin/protein values are poor) equals a good result.