Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Verruca treatment for younger children

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by kiseon, Mar 28, 2007.

1. kiseon

kiseon Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Would you treat very young children with verruca? eg. aged 2-3 year old? and what would be the most effective treatment for these young children?
    can somebody help me please?
    cheers

2. No. Too cowardly. Besides i've never seen a painful lesion on somebody that age and i don't tend to treat asymptomatic lesions.

If i had to i guess i would use AGNO3 but it would be a job to debride the lesion first.

regards

Robert

3. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

4. Mark2

Mark2 Member

I have successfully treated a VP on a 3year old. The young girl had a large 10mm VP in the centre of her heel causing her to limp. 3-4 weekly treatments using of callous debridement, salicylic paste and a small amount of trichlooacetic acid crystals embedded in the paste. The mother used an emery board to file it down between visits. There was no discomfort for the child, but was not very co-operative after seeing the scalpel ... although the mother brought chocolate biscuits which helped (as I was quite hungry by late morning!)
    Mark.

5. Stanley

Stanley Well-Known Member

I like to look at the causes of verruca at different ages and use adjunctive treatments accordingly.
    At this age, I like to think of the immune system having dysfunction as a result of vaccinations. I will use a homeopathic remedy (Thuja 30C) which is used for "bad effects of vaccinations", in addition to monochloracetic acid.

6. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I have a flashy wand that I use (with parental permission), combined with a little histofreeze and parental positive reinforcement about the wart fairy coming to take it away. On review of a child that age there was only one child in that age group that returned with the wart half the size. The rest have all disappeared in 2 weeks.

That child also didn't believe in Santa so I had a struggle in the end. We then just bribed and the promise of a new shiny Thomas the Tank engine was enough to wish that wart away.

I would prefer that age group to the 6-7 where it is all about the medications and less of the psychosomatics.....or maybe the lure of my wart wand as a clinically effective tool is too great.