Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Von Mises Stress Explained

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 29th July 2015, 09:34 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,321 Posts
Default Von Mises Stress Explained

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
For those of you who have been reading the biomechanics literature over the past decade, you will often see the term "Von Mises Stress" used to describe the stresses in an object (e.g. foot, foot orthosis, etc) when the internal stresses on that object under external loads are being simulated using Finite Element Analysis. I had never seen a good explanation of this relatively complex term until tonight when I found this explanation....cool!

Von Mises Stress Explained
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Von-Mises-Stress-6.jpg (75.6 KB, 46 views)

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

E-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Kirby For This Useful Post:
Dikoson (31st July 2015), Ian Drakard (30th July 2015), Phil Wells (29th July 2015), Stormpod83 (29th July 2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd August 2015, 11:14 PM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Re: Von Mises Stress Explained

A combination of "gross structural model of the foot", finite element analysis, internal deformations and stress in plantar soft tissues, von Mises stress,..., could be found in G. Yarnitzky et al. / Journal of Biomechanics 39 (2006) 2673?2689 : https://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~msbm/reso...-2673-1689.pdf
One interesting conclusion (which I hope I don't extract from its context) of the authors is : "... internal deformations and stresses in the plantar pad during gait cannot be predicted from merely measuring the foot?shoe force reactions." Should we add something to the definition of foot orthotics ?
Otherwise, to be honest, I don't know how to read, understand and properly use this work as it is a lot of (unknown for me ) science inside it !
Sincerely,
Daniel