Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

National registration

Discussion in 'Australia' started by bkelly11, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bkelly11

bkelly11 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Any news? process of change/moving to national board? cost? etc?

2. kemplr

kemplr Member

Check out the podiatry board's website

It is www.podiatryboard.gov.au

As from 1st July 2010 we will be required to complete 20hrs Continuing Ed plus hold CPR and defibrillation cert. This will need to be kept for 5 years for auditing purposes.

Nothing yet on cost etc

Hope this helps.

Lauren

3. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear Brian

As a fellow Scot i am perplexed by the inequalities for the brits.

Scotland has a parliament

Wales has an assembly

Northern Ireland has an assembly.

What has poor old england got???

NAAADDAAA

The Union Jack is a union of the flags of Britain.

Here in Aus we have a mix of an aussie flag and the union jack. Also have an aboriginal flag too.

National registration is a great idea as it will allow people to move freely around aus without the joy of reg in each state.

Great idea.

David

4. bkelly11

bkelly11 Active Member

Thanks Guys.

Moving jobs in June this year and was looking for a heads up on whats going on.

Cheers

5. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Lauren,

none of this has been agreed to yet (though it is proposed and highly likely to occur). The Board will be releasing a further discussion paper in early March, that will outline their proposals, which will be open for public debate, which will then need sign of by AHMAC

6. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

National Registration Australia

netizens

National Registration is about to kick off later this year in OZ.

Whats the story (so far)?

7. Cameron

netizens

For those following this new regulatory set up you might like to have a swizz at:

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
    http://www.ahpra.gov.au/index.php

for background.

A long way down the line yet, but something similar to the UK HPC may be on the cards for OZ

What say you?

toeslayer

BTW Brian your lot might have shown some mercy to the Jambos!

8. Johnson

Johnson Member

I note in podiatry proposals 'registered podiatrists with scheduled medicine endorsements must complete an additional 10 hours of CPD per year"

Does this mean the use of local anesthetics would require additional 10 hours on top of 20hrs CPD?

9. Johnson

Johnson Member

I also see in Podiatry proposals "hold a current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate that includes management of anaphylaxis and use of an Automated External Defibrillator from an Approved Training Organisation."

Does current mean yearly ?
    Can CPR certificate be used as part of your CPD requirements?

10. Johnson

Johnson Member

11. Johnson

Johnson Member

Well had another look at proposal looks as though scheduled medicine endorsements does not refer to local anaesthetics.Phew, did not fancy more CPD then 20 hrs a year and current CPR would be yearly, as proposal appears to be a yearly CPD assessment rather than every 2 years as we presently have in Queensland.Still not sure about CPR being used as part of 20 hours of CPD just have to wait for clarification.
    From what i can see they are giving 15 months instead of 12 months from 1-7-10 to 30-11-11 to comply with new national standard,then every 12 months thereafter.

12. MelbPod

MelbPod Active Member

At the Mebourne Conference, there will be a presentation on National Registration and the changes/implications it will bring, this is being presented by Paul Tinley - National Registration Board Member.

Will be highly valuable to hear

www.podiatryconferencevic2010.com.au

13. bkelly11

bkelly11 Active Member

Would be really helpfull if yopu could update after the conference?:drinks

Cheers

14. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Brian why not go to the conference in Melb? Its an excellent line up and great program regardless.

I think Paul Tinley is also doing this at the NSW State Conference in May if that location helps any (which PORTAL also are broadcasting so it will be online at some point) and I would imagine that nearly every state conference is doing something similar over the coming 12 months.

I am also hosting a round table hypothetical at the NSW Conference where this is going to be raised for discussion by the panel as well as the audience. Should make for interesting viewing and audience participation. Should be fun.

I would have gone to the Melbourne conference as it looks fantastic but for some reason someone scheduled it at the same time as DFCON - too many good conferences and not enough time....lots of Aussies headed to LA next week - looking forward to it.

Lots of information over the coming months - I am sure it will be highly discussed every which way!

15. bkelly11

bkelly11 Active Member

Got to much on Paul.

16. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Fair enough!!!!

17. Cameron

18. Pompy

Pompy Member

Has anyone received their letter yet from the new National Board?
    On the ApodA SA website it says letters should have been posted last friday and received early this week. I am yet to receive mine and have spoken to a few other SA based colleagues who are yet to receive theirs either.

19. Tuckersm

They haven't been sent yet. They are up to Physio, so we should be next!

20. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    ApodA(NSW) CEO mentioned at the conference today that she has a note from the Board that they have gone out or are about to go out (I was not paying full attention). The note on the APodA(SA) webiste is probably the same note that was mentioned here at the conference in NSW.

21. Stirling

Stirling Active Member

I emailed and received this :

Dear Leah,

We have been advised by the National Board that the letters will be sent out in the next week or so and therefore the due date will be extended.

For any other information please contact 1300 088 590.

Regards
    Jane Erickson | Executive Assistant
    Podiatry Board of SA

Cheers

22. Tuckersm

My letter was waiting for me when I got home today :)

23. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Well, first day as a nationally registered podiatrist.

I took a look at the Podiatry Board of Australia website today.

A few interesting things of note. Annual dues have reason substantially compared to my home state - so much for 'economies of scale' and having just one board. Hope its spent wisely, and not on bureaucractic bullsh*t.

Secondly, quite perplexed to see that I now have to formally have Epipen and Automatic External Defib certification annually. Checked the dental, medical and optom board websites. No mention of any of those practitioners needing this. Overkill? Considering very few podiatrists use any restricted drugs (and not everyone even uses LA).

We seem to be all of a sudden a very overregulated profession (relative to other professions that are arguably at higher potential to risk public health and safety).

To quote another poster, wot say you?

LL

24. Tim Foran

Tim Foran Active Member

Is the CPR certificate annually or do you do that three yearly

25. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

It would depend on the registered training organisation certifying you. I think most RTOs will only certify for 12 months. More money to made that way - a cynic may say. As an aside, I would love to know why this particular task has been universally determined as the one thing no human being can seem to remember for longer than 12 months?

LL

26. trevor

trevor Active Member

Over regulated yes. Seems that the board are a bunch of folks with to much time on their hands.

Has any one tried to check their registration on the new web site.
    I tried half a dozen high profile names a few minutes ago and could not find anyone that was actually registered with the national board.

27. Tuckersm

Trevor,

At the moment there are no Victorian Podiatrists available to "search", which I would think is a database issue. It doesn't mean that they are not registered, they are just not on the searchable database.

28. fancyfeet86

fancyfeet86 Member

Hi there,

Did you guys gain automatic registration with the new board having already been registered? I am applying for the first time to register as a Podiatrist and looking for any advice on how long the process should take. I understand with it all being new to you that you may not know but any help would be very much appreciated.

29. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It may take a while:
    New National Registration Boards struggling to cope

30. Dean Hartley

Dean Hartley Active Member

Has anyone had any problems with dealing with AHPRA? I have a new graduate meant to be starting at the start of January but is unable to get registration. After several phone calls to AHPRA they stated it would be a wait of 6-8 weeks once forms have been received from the applicant.

It really is quite a joke. The old system would take a week to get registrations through and this new system is meant to make things easier and quicker.... I don't see it.....

Does anyone know if there is anyone you can speak to in regards to this?

31. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Dean, from what I recall, our grads from this year were told not to expect their registration until early January.

Its a known issue, I recall seeing a few news stories a while back on the phone not getting answered due to a lack of staff and a huge backlog of registration application froms overseas trained doctors all due to staff number issues.... unfortunatly its a matter of 'shrugging the shoulders' and put it down to teething problesm.