Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot Planting in Running - Interesting article.

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Sammo, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Sammo

Sammo Active Member

2. matthew malone

matthew malone Active Member

3. matthew malone

Daniel E. Lieberman et al (2010) Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners. Nature, 463, 531-535 .

Humans have engaged in endurance running for millions of years1, but the modern running shoe was not invented until the 1970s. For most of human evolutionary history, runners were either barefoot or wore minimal footwear such as sandals or moccasins with smaller heels and little cushioning relative to modern running shoes. We wondered how runners coped with the impact caused by the foot colliding with the ground before the invention of the modern shoe. Here we show that habitually barefoot endurance runners often land on the fore-foot (fore-foot strike) before bringing down the heel, but they sometimes land with a flat foot (mid-foot strike) or, less often, on the heel (rear-foot strike). In contrast, habitually shod runners mostly rear-foot strike, facilitated by the elevated and cushioned heel of the modern running shoe.

4. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

I think we dismissed the claims in the Lieberman article in another thread.

5. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

6. Sam:

This is a great article. Thanks for sharing it. It is so refreshing for me to read an objective analysis of this forefoot versus rearfoot striking discussion without all the hype.

7. matthew malone

Kevin

Do you have a copy of this article? i cant get hold of one.

Thanks

Matt

8. Matt:

Send me $35.00 and I'll buy it for you.;)

9. matthew malone

Kevin

Thanks for making me laugh this morning:dizzy:

my appolgies I suppose i just assumed you were the man who had copies to everything!

I can purchase this article through the hospital library as my humble podiatry salary would miss the $35

10. JB1973

JB1973 Active Member

I'm a little biased, as I am someone who changed his footstrike from a heel strike to a midfoot strike, but I'm not sure you can make conclusions from just one study

one of the comments from an answer in the above link kindly provided by sam by a barefoot runner who had 'seen the light' and started running barefoot. i agree its probably not great to make conclusions from just one study, but its slightly better that than make conclusions from no studies at all.
    cheers
    JB

11. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Isn't it bizarre? They willing to change one way on the basis of no research, but are not willing to change the other way on the basis of some research (I have not looked to see the quality of the research). ....typical of the attitude of the barefoot running community.

12. Simon Wheeler

Simon Wheeler Welcome New Poster

I have video footage from side on of various ITU World Cup triathlon races from last year (2009). This footage is of the elites (and others) including most of the big names. This footage shows exactly what the referenced article shows and what most people have been talking about on this forum, about how every one lands differantly.
    This footage is at 300 fps as it is off the casio camera. Clinically I find it of great use to show serious athletes who are being encouraged by their own readings or outside influences to change their stye, without sound reason. In this case a video speaks a 1000 words!
    If it is possible to download large files I could put them up here? It is in quicktime format, I think they range in size from 6MB to 120MB.

cheers
    Simon Wheeler
    Podiatrist

13. admin

Simon - email them to podiatryarena@gmail.com -- I will load them on the server and we can view them from there. It may be worth starting a new thread on this.

14. JB1973

JB1973 Active Member

hiya
    is it worth starting another new thread? there are already currently 3 i think all talking about the same thing. i think we should concentrate on one, probably the original one started by Kevin -'barefoot running debate'. its all becoming a bit confusing trying to keep up;)

like Kevin though i love this stuff, even though its mighty frustrating sometimes (Ians twitter post on the other thread being a prime example)
    cheers
    JB

15. admin

Here is Simon's video:
    http://www.podiatry-arena.com/images/MensITUHamburg 09.wmv

It should open by clicking on the link. If not right click on the link and use 'save as' and open it from your comuter

16. admin

Is any one having problems accessing this? I just had a report of 'access denied', but can not find a problem??? :confused:

17. Works for me on my Mac.

18. Griff

Griff Moderator

Works for me (and I'm running Vista!)

19. JB1973

JB1973 Active Member

working for me. cheers Simon (and admin)
    JB