Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

A day in a Podiatry Practice

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by neilbarford, Jul 29, 2010.

1. neilbarford

neilbarford Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi
    I am a mature student and I am just about to start the Access to higher education course in Wellingborough . I then hope to gain a place at Northampton University on the Podiatry degree course , this is a total career change for me as I have been working in the IT industry for 25 years which is extremely dull.
    My particular areas of interest at the moment are gait analysis and biomechanics , with my university application in mind i wish to attend a local podiatry practice in operation , is there anybody in the Northampton area that would be willing to let me attend their practice on a purely observational role for a day.

regards

Neil Barford

2. BestyPod

BestyPod Active Member

Hi Neil,

I have just completed my Access course at Wellingborough and am due also to start at Northampton uni this September.
    If you need any help with the course please do ask, especially on the second year as it gets very intense all of a sudden! The tutors at W'boro are lovely. I'm thinking that you will either have Allan or Len, they are both really nice. Say hi to them from me.

Are you doing the course full or part time?

I had real problems getting to sit in on practices locally, so instead I contacted Paul Fletcher who is the admissions tutor at the uni. He was extremely helpful and invited me to spend a couple of days with the 3rd years at the hospital. These couple of days were extremely helpful and I'm sure they helped with my application.

Hope thats helped a little.

Abi :drinks

3. gdenbyUK

gdenbyUK Active Member

Hi Neil,

If you have transport and can get over to the other side of the county, you are welcome to visit us at Foot Wise Podiatry www.footwisepodiatry.co.uk - I spent 20 years in IT, retrained as a Pod at Northampton and am now in my 5th year of a start-up a private practice in rural Northamptonshire, now approaching a regular 2 days per week, Tuesdays being our busiest. I do not have a filing cabinet - all electronic records and much use of digital photography.

Regards
    Gary Denby, Podiatrist.

4. Anne Stephens

Anne Stephens Member

Hi Neil,

I am based in SW Lincolnshire and you would be more than welcome to visit my practice.

Best wishes
    Anne Stephens

5. neilbarford

neilbarford Welcome New Poster

Hi Gary
    Yes I have transport and it would be great if i could visit you for a day , I could attend any day w/c 9th August if thats good for you , Let me know or if you prefer suggest a date/time when I can call to discuss and confirm a suitable date.

Many thanks
    Neil

6. gdenbyUK

gdenbyUK Active Member

Hi Neil,

Tuesday next week will be fine. Call us this Tuesday or Wednesday to make any arrangements.

Regards
    Gary

7. pod55

pod55 Welcome New Poster

I can highly recommend a visit to Gary's practice to any potential student, he did a great job of explaining everything and you'll come away with a good understanding of how a private practice works. Plus, if you're lucky you might get a free lunch to boot!