Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags: ,

In-Shoe Pressure Measurement and Foot Orthosis Research

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 17th November 2010, 02:30 PM
The Admin that posts the news.

About:
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)
Default In-Shoe Pressure Measurement and Foot Orthosis Research

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
In-Shoe Pressure Measurement and Foot Orthosis Research: A Giant Leap
Forward or a Step Too Far?

Simon K. Spooner, David K. Smith, and Kevin A. Kirby
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2010;100 518-529
Quote:
Foot orthoses are believed to exert their therapeutic effect on the human locomotor apparatus by altering the location, magnitude, and temporal patterns of ground reaction forces acting on the plantar foot during weightbearing activities. In-shoe pressure-measurement systems are increasingly being used by clinicians and researchers to assess kinetic changes at the foot-orthosis interface to better understand the function of foot orthoses and to derive more efficacious treatments for many painful foot and lower-extremity abnormalities. This article explores how the inherent three-dimensional surface topography and load-deformation characteristics of foot orthoses may challenge the validity, reliability, and clinical usefulness of the data obtained from in-shoe pressure-measurement systems in the context of foot orthotic therapy and research. The inability of in-shoe pressure-measurement systems to measure shearing forces beneath the foot, the required bending of the flat two-dimensional sensor insole to fit the pressure insole to the three-dimensional curves of the orthosis, the subsequent unbending of the sensor insole to display it on a computer monitor, and variations in the load-deformation characteristics of orthoses are all sources of potential error in examination of the kinetic effects of foot orthoses. Consequently, caution is required when interpreting the results of orthotic research that has used in-shoe pressure insole technology. The limitations of the technology should also be given due respect when in-shoe pressure measurement is used to make clinical decisions and prescribe custom foot orthoses for patients
The Following User Says Thank You to NewsBot For This Useful Post:
Boots n all (18th November 2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 17th November 2010, 02:46 PM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Re: In-Shoe Pressure Measurement and Foot Orthosis Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsBot View Post
Simon K. Spooner
OK ... I have printed this out and will read it on the plane (unless sleeping is a better option) and we can talk about it tomorrow.
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 17th November 2010, 03:09 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Thanked 1,044 Times in 764 Posts

Look forward to it. This paper was spawned by the Arena.

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Old 17th November 2010, 03:12 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)

Not sure if this is normally the done thing but Congrats to you three,Simon, Dave and Kevin.

I learnt more about vectors reading this in a single read than most of my reading combined or things became much much clearer which ever way I look at.

Not that my option counts for much, but anyone wanting to understand more about GRF Vectors it´s a must read.

As well as asking some questions which I´m sure will be discussed a lot.

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Old 17th November 2010, 04:01 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Thanked 1,044 Times in 764 Posts

Thanks, Mike. Any questions ask away... I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my co-conspirators: Dave and Kevin for their time and effort in taking this paper from the germ of an idea into the publication it became. We just need to lean on Smith so that we eventually get the follow-up written.

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Old 17th November 2010, 04:35 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Good morning all, the difference between "force impulse", which is the 'integral of force with respect to time' and "force integral", p.519, 3rd line
thanks, mark
Old 17th November 2010, 07:18 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m weber View Post
Not sure if this is normally the done thing but Congrats to you three,Simon, Dave and Kevin.
I echo this sentiment. I wish i could read this paper, just sayin'

David G. Wedemeyer, D.C., C.Ped.
Old 17th November 2010, 09:07 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Sorry David don't have a clue how to send it, have to wait till Europe wakes up, mark
Old 17th November 2010, 10:11 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Mark,

Thank you

David G. Wedemeyer, D.C., C.Ped.
Old 17th November 2010, 10:16 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Thanked 2,114 Times in 1,162 Posts

Congratulations to David Smith for what I believe is his first published paper in a peer-reviewed podiatric publication. Good job Dave!!

Looking forward to co-authoring many more papers/publications with Dr. Spooner in the future.

I have uploaded the paper for those who want to have a look at it on my private website. http://www.box.net/shared/z9vvdj6lt8

You may e-mail me privately for the password.

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

E-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Kirby For This Useful Post:
olrodriguezm (31st January 2013)
Old 18th November 2010, 01:10 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spooner View Post
Thanks, Mike. Any questions ask away... I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my co-conspirators: Dave and Kevin for their time and effort in taking this paper from the germ of an idea into the publication it became. We just need to lean on Smith so that we eventually get the follow-up written.
1st Question Why did you not introduce the term Orthotic Reaction Force (ORF )into the discussion.

There will be more but as I was reading the 1st 2 pages

I was expecting something like - The authors believe that once an orthoses has been introduced and eccepted that Bower´s (2)definition of how an orthoses works - GRF´s are modified point of application and line of action of GRF´s, this reaction force should be referred to as an Orthotic reaction force.

The reason I ask is because I usually refer to ORF´s would it be better not to ?

More Questions to come about direction of GRF.

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Old 18th November 2010, 10:21 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjohconley View Post
Good morning all, the difference between "force impulse", which is the 'integral of force with respect to time' and "force integral", p.519, 3rd line
thanks, mark
Yep that was eagle eyed of you Mark!!

Remembering that it was quite a whil,e over a year ago I think, that we finished that paper, I wrote that bit but I can't explain that odd one off the top of my head so I'll put it down to a missed typo, e.g. I might have meant 'impulse or integral' meaning either depending on which term you prefer or I might have meant 'force impulse and pressure integral' so that it read better than repeating impulse. I could look back at some drafts and see if that gives a clue, if I still have them.

Here is a link to an excellent explanation of the principles of integration of force impulse and momentum http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys311...e/impulse.html

Many thanks to Simon for forcing me to write the paper and to Kevin for his input and encouragement. I do have some half done papers and a couple that need formatting so I'll try and find the time to get to them or even write something new.
You never know I might have 2 papers published before my 80th birthday.

Regards Dave Smith
markjohconley (18th November 2010)
Old 18th November 2010, 10:24 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kirby View Post
Congratulations to David Smith for what I believe is his first published paper in a peer-reviewed podiatric publication. Good job Dave!!
International peer reviewed publication I might ask the boss for a raise

Regards dave
Old 18th November 2010, 04:09 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Thanks Messrs Spooner, Smith, and Kirby, read it 2 1/2 times if you average out how many times i read each sentence.
The first 3 pages should be compulsory reading for all podiatrists.
I was getting all depressed but, like an American movie, the ending gave me hope, mark

One day I'd like a paragraph in an article in a peer reviewed journal to begin, "Conley ........"
The Following User Says Thank You to markjohconley For This Useful Post:
bkelly11 (18th November 2010)