Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Plantar Plate Repair

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by RobinP, Dec 17, 2010.

1. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear all,

Looking for some advice regarding a plantar plate tear. I have a patient who was diagnosed with a plantar plate tear. I have been treating conservatively for 2 months with little resolution in symptoms. Inflammation has reduced but hyperextension of the 2nd MPJ has not reduced(partly due to patient non compliance with strapping). Pain has reduced slightly on the plantar surface of the 2nd MPJ but patient is still in considerable discomfort.

I feel that there is a chance the plantar plate tear may be an erroneus finding and that there may be something else. I would like to have the patient seen by someone who has an interest in plantar plate tears with a view to surgical treatment whether or not the plantar plate is the precipitating problem.

I live on the Isle of Man so the patient would have to fly across regardless. Therefore, the location is probably not so important. Does anyone have any recommendations for a podiatric or orthopaedic surgeon who might be suitable?

Many thanks

Robin

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Lee

Lee Active Member

Hello Robin,

I've done my share of plantar plate repairs, but I'm currently based in Norwich which might pose a problem for flights from the Isle of Man. Your nearest podiatric surgeon with specific experience in this pathology that I know of would be Frank Webb in Manchester. If you'd like his contact details please send me a personal message on here.

Aside from that, what current diagnostic work up have you done? Do you have any imaging available? Do you have any more information on the patient's history? Why do you feel the existing diagnosis may be erroneous?

Thanks,
    Lee

4. nigelroberts

nigelroberts Active Member

Hi Robin
    An old colleague of mine at Royal Blackburn Hospital has repaired a number of these.Details:
    Mr JL Barrie
    Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
    Royal Blackburn Hospital
    Haslingden Rod
    Blackburn
    Lancashire
    BB23HH
    01254 263555
    Cheers
    Nigel

5. Tom Galloway

Tom Galloway Member

Best wishes to you for Chritmas and the New Year Robin

Is it possible for you to get a contrast injection of the joint.

This will show leakage from a plantar plate - and this is what I would want to see before going to surgery in the expectation of repairing such a tear.

I have some good Pics of what you would see if there was and if there was not (but I have forgotten the best way to share pictures without clogging up the system).

Tom