Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

The Passing of Graham Curryer

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Craig Payne, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    We all lost a friend this week .....

Its is with incredible sadness I just learned of cuz's passing. RIP.

[​IMG]

2. Peter G Guy

Peter G Guy Member

Hi Everyone
    I was saddened to hear the news today of Graham’s passing. He was my colleague at Toronto General Hospital during the early 1990’s. I will fondly remember the discussions we had regarding podiatric biomechanics. He was very interested in the information I brought back from an early FHL lectures by Howard Dananberg in 1990. Graham was early adopter of FHL biomechanics. Surprisingly, he was also quite a baseball fan during the Toronto Blue Jays World series runs in 1992 and 1993. I will miss his sometimes controversial remarks. During meetings or discussions, he would always have the guts to say, what you and others would be thinking but were afraid to say. Graham I will miss you, rest in peace.
    Your friend Peter Guy

3. Oh my God....Graham just posted to me yesterday on Podiatry Arena. What happened to him? I thought he was in good health?!

This is very, very sad to hear the news about Graham. Graham was a great guy, full of life, an excellent podiatrist and a good friend. I will miss his wry wit and excellent clinical observations. He will be missed greatly by many.

4. rip looks like a very nice man

5. Thats really sad news to end the year.

R.I.P Graham.

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I just back from the pub with the Arena'ettes. I had a beer in his honor. I remember many a beer with Graham :drinks

7. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Tragic, I didn't know Graham except through his writing here. Podiatric biomechanics and the profession have lost one of their truly brilliant apologists and accomplished colleagues. RIP Graham and thank you for your keen mind and insights. You will be missed.

8. pita patient

pita patient Welcome New Poster

From Randy Moore

Thank you Graham for always challenging us to try to prove and justify the truth. As always it will be open for debate. Thanks for always keeping us on our toes.

Your student, colleague, and true friend Randy Moore B.Sc. D.Ch. D.Pod.Med

9. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Very sad news. My sincere condolances to his family & friends.

Regards,

Mandy.

10. Tragic news. Condolances and best wishes to Graham's nearest and dearest.

Mark Russell

11. I am absolutely stunned by this tragic news. My sincere condolances to his family and friends.

12. Griff

Griff Moderator

That really is terrible and shocking news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Graham, but he was close to the top of the list of people that I hoped to have a beer with at a conference one day. A huge loss to Podiatry Arena, and to the Podiatric profession in general. My thoughts are with his family.

13. blinda

blinda MVP

A huge loss. Life is so precious. My thoughts are also with his family and friends.

14. mgates01

mgates01 Active Member

I knew Graham only through reading his words and thoughts here in PA, (I was just catching up on some threads only last night and read some of his contributions). My condolences to his close friends and family at this time.
    Michael

15. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

May he never be forgotten. If he remains in our thoughts he remains with us and is never gone.
    In one of his last posts on here he promoted "to love and not hate" perhaps that was his finest examples of the man he was.
    My sincere condolences to all who knew and loved him.
    In Sympathy
    Derek

16. pita patient

pita patient Welcome New Poster

From Randy Moore

Just lost another friend to death
    Sure caught us way off guard
    Wish he'd had wee-more bit breath
    To tell his disregard

It cuts a part of heart away
    And leaves us in a trance
    Just wish we all could share
    Another time in life to dance

Be at peace my friend Graham
    Randall K Moore

17. For those of you who never got to know Graham Curryer, I wanted to spend a little time on the last day of 2010 to reflect on how special Graham was to me and how important Graham was to the International Podiatric Medical Community.

I first learned of Graham through my early years with the Podiatry Mailbase (now JISC Mailbase) from in the late 1990s. I can remember many very lively discussions with myself and Eric Fuller debating the usefulness of subtalar joint axis rotational equilibrium theory and tissue stress theory against Howard Dananberg, Graham and Bruce Williams and their defense of Sagittal Plane Facilitation theory. Graham could be very pointed in his comments to me. I remember a few nights cursing his name under my breath from these early days because he didn't agree with me or questioned my ideas during our discussions on the Podiatry Mailbase. However, Graham always spoke his mind and I greatly respected him for that.

As an example, here is one of the discussions Graham had with Eric Fuller, Bruce and Simon from September 13, 2002:

I believe I first met Graham while we were both lecturing at a seminar organized by Peter Guy in Toronto in February 11-13, 1999 for the 13th Annual Ontario Society of Chiropodists Conference (Peter help me out with this if you can). I remember giving a workshop on gait evaluation where Graham was watching my evaluation along with the 20-30 other podiatrists I was lecturing to. I knew from previous experience in talking with him that he was a firm believer in Howard's Sagittal Plane Theory. At the end of my demonstration on using STJ axis theory and tissue stress theory to treat patients, Graham came over to me after watching my demonstration and said that even though our ideas were different, that it was very interesting that I basically treated the subject the same way that he would have treated the subject if he were using the concepts of Sagittal Plane Theory. Graham and I became good friends from then on and we had frequent debates on foot biomechanics topics on the Podiatry Mailbase and here on Podiatry Arena ever since then.

Graham Curryer was a very intelligent podiatrist, was a critical thinker, and was very opinionated. However, Graham was also never too proud to admit when he may have made a mistake. He was never afraid of throwing himself into a heated debate if he felt strongly that something important needed to be said. I greatly respected Graham for his willingness to not only question the prevailing or popular opinions of the time, but also regarded his opinions very highly since I knew Graham was a very successful and competent clinician who had his patient's best interests as his number one priority. His frequent and important contributions to discussions on the Podiatry Mailbase and Podiatry Arena were critical to the development of our current understanding of foot and lower extremity biomechanics and its application to the clinical environment.

Graham has now left this world, but will remain in our thoughts forever.

With my heart full of sorrow for our loss of your passing, I want to tell you that I will miss you greatly, Graham. You taught me, you scolded me, you supported me, you laughed at me and you laughed with me. You were one of a kind. You were a respected colleague and a friend. I will never forget the influence you had on me and the good times we had together. You will be missed greatly. May you rest in peace, my good friend.

Attached Files:

18. Peter G Guy

Peter G Guy Member

Kevin
    Thank you for those reflections about Graham's contribution to podiatry. You captured the essence of his personality.
    Pete

19. Mart

Mart Well-Known Member

Besides outwardly being a pithy witty person and as Kevin well illustrated a respected critical thinker, Graham was also deeply introspective and philosophical.

I think that he would also have liked to be remembered on that account.

Here is one of his last publicly posted thoughts, a maxim which I suspect ran relentlessly through his search for the “truth” . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. we will miss you buddy.

Prudent people save one of their ears for truth, thanking their common mother, Nature, for giving them two. Deceit is superficial, and superficial people are quick to run into her. Discernment lives hidden away in retirement, so as to be more esteemed by the wise and the discreet. (Baltasar Gracian)

20. Here is one of Graham's all time classic posts in his disgusted reply to Ed Glaser on December 3, 2008, regarding Ed's orthotic marketing ideas:

Maybe that is one of the reasons I loved Graham so much. He always said what needed to be said.

21. Indeed. He was not afraid to disagree, or agree, with anyone, on anything. A level of intellectually integrity one rarely finds, he truly said exactly what he believed.

Its easy to glibly say that someone is irreplacable, but that is quite literally true of grahams contribution to podiatry. He brought something which no one else on this forum could bring. It really is a huge loss to the profession as well as to all of us who enjoyed his wit personally.

22. MCA

MCA Member

Thanks to all who have relayed their positive thoughts about Graham. I will ensure his family know that he will be missed.

Melanie

23. Melanie:

Please tell Graham's family that we will all miss his contributions and influence greatly.

24. MCA

MCA Member

Yes I will Kevin. I am sure it is a comfort for them to know that he was well respected in his professional life and gave much to his students over the years and to the profession in general.

25. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hello MCA

I've just arrived home and was shocked to hear of Graham's death. Please pass to his family the condolences and respect from all his colleagues in England. It may help somewhat for them to know that he he was known and respected internationally.

Bill

26. MCA

MCA Member

Absolutely Bill. I will pass that along.

27. Franklin

Franklin Active Member

Like Bill, I have just read of this shocking and tragic news. I had the great pleasure to meet Graham a number of years ago in York where we discussed sagittal plane theory over a couple of beers. I was extremely impressed by his wide-ranging knowledge of all things podiatric and his wonderful sense of humour. HIs passing is a huge loss to the profession.

My sincere condolences go out to his family.

God bless you Graham and rest in peace.

28. MCA

MCA Member

Yes, I believe it was Speckled Hen in the Spread Eagle! Graham always enjoyed those discussions with colleagues whether agreeing or disagreeing with their point of view!

Melanie

29. Franklin

Franklin Active Member

Indeed it was Melanie - the Spread Eagle on Walmgate and Speckled Hen.

30. I am Happy to know that someone can pass on to the family just how desparately his contribution, both personnally will be missed. As Bill said, he was not merely a leading mind in his own country, but one of the very best in the world.

31. bpod

bpod Active Member

Shocked and saddened to learn of Graham's passing. He inspired me as a student and a professional, to be a critical thinker and think outside the box presented to me. Condolences to his family, Melanie, and his friends and colleagues in Ottawa.
    RIP Graham.

Sue Davidge

32. Bruce Williams

Bruce Williams Well-Known Member

I just found this link and learned of Graham's death. I first became acquainted with Graham thru the list serve Kevin mentioned. I think we only met in person once, and I'm very sorry for that. It is moments like these when we can truly realize how small our group is and that we should value much more our passionate discussions. I considered Graham an ally in our discussions and he will be missed for that as much if not more for his ability to interject some twisted humor into those discussions. He will be missed by all and I extend my most heartfelt condolences to his loved ones.
    To Graham!:drinks
    Bruce Williams

33. How right you are. I mentioned to Craig at the recent Boot Camp in Manchester, just how important Podiatry Arena has become for like-minded colleagues all over the world. For some, the notion of fraternity and community through an electronic medium may seem unusual or improbable, but for many it does exist as a vitally important aspect of our lives - professionally and personally. In many respects, 'membership' in the Arena has greater significance and importance than that of membership of the regional professional bodies. Unfortunately I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Graham face-to-face, but (as with others), when I saw the "Curryer" name and avatar, I made a point of reading his words as he, more often than not, had something extremely worthwhile to say - in seriousness or in jest. It feels strange to feel grief or loss for someone you haven't met directly, but that is indeed how it has felt these last few days. I am grateful that someone close to Graham's family will impart these tributes of him and I hope they will bring a little comfort in the days and weeks ahead.

34. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

35. Dananberg

Dananberg Active Member

Graham was as funny as he was critical, smart as he was crass, and kind as he was thoughtful. I am very, very saddened by his loss, and podiatry will certainly miss his wit and honesty. He was truly a rare individual.

RIP my friend.

Howard

36. Andrew Springer

Andrew Springer Welcome New Poster

I was truly shocked and saddened to hear of Graham's passing. I was in attendance at the seminar of which Kevin spoke in 1999 or thereabouts - you have truly captured his essence. It was almost impossible to think of Graham without exasperation followed by a smile. One always knew where you stood with Graham, and in today's world, that is invaluable! Neither perfect nor a saint was he, but we and the world were certainly better for having known him. Rest easy Graham, your time here was well spent.

Andrew Springer

37. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Deepest sympathy

toeslayer

38. FootCareNurseRN

FootCareNurseRN Welcome New Poster

I was so shocked by the passing of Graham Curryer. He had taught a couple of courses I attended and presented at a couple of conferences I attended.

Here is a copy of the announcement from the Ottawa Citizen for your information.

CURRYER, Graham Suddenly on Wednesday, December 29, 2010, Graham John Curryer of Bishops Mills, age 46. Loving son of Wendy Curryer and the late John Curryer. Dear husband of Paulina Truhlarik. Will be sadly missed by his stepchildren Joey (Tina) Trunzo and Veronica Trunzo; his brother Steven, his sister Barbara; and his friends Henry and Marion Goeree. Graham spent most of his life working for charities around the world doing special footcare including Trinidad and Tobago and First Nation residents. He also helped young local hockey players with special foot disabilities. After the age of 40 to present, Graham's passion was to become a hockey goaltender. He was never able to fulfill his NHL dreams. He will be missed by all who knew him. A private family service will take place at a later date. Those who wish may make memorial donations to the Canadian Diabetes Association. For condolences and on-line guest book please visit: www.grantbrownfuneralhome.com

Published in the Ottawa Citizen on 1/2/2011

He will be missed!!

39. gangrene1

gangrene1 Active Member

I know I'm abit late posting this( just got back from a long holi). Thanks Graham for your generosity and kindness to offer a placement for me.
    RIP Graham...

40. Karl Landorf

Karl Landorf Member

Apologies for this late post but I have been away and did not know of Graham's passing until today. I am really, really saddened to hear of this news.

From what I knew of Graham, through e-mail and phone conversations, he was a very unique man and someone that was imminently likeable. He was a joy to converse with and I loved the numerous discussions I had with him. As many have written before me, Graham stood out in a fabulously positive manner.

I've read all the posts reflecting on Graham as a person and his contributions to podiatry. I particularly liked the photos that Kevin posted - the first one of Graham on the couch covered in his beloved dogs with a glass of wine in his hand reminded me so much of a job interview we conducted with him via telephone (he in Canada and we in Sydney). The interview was a delight. However, I had to laugh later on when he revealed to me that because he was at home for his interview, he was on the couch in his dressing gown, with his dogs and a glass of red wine. The photo captured that moment perfectly, thankyou Kevin.

You will be missed Graham.

Sincerely,

Karl