Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Squeaking Orthotics

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 12th January 2011, 03:34 AM
Podiatry Arena Rookie

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Squeaking Orthotics

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Hi,
has anyone come across squeaking orthotics in the shoe and do they know a cure for this?

cheers,

Mark.
Sponsored Links
Old 12th January 2011, 03:38 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Thanked 1,023 Times in 753 Posts
Default Re: Squeaking Orthotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by webthotics View Post
Hi,
has anyone come across squeaking orthotics in the shoe and do they know a cure for this?

cheers,

Mark.
Try rubbing around the margins of the orthotic with a candle or talcum.

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Spooner For This Useful Post:
webthotics (12th January 2011)
Old 12th January 2011, 03:43 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)

Quote:
Hi,

cheers,

Mark.
Happens a little. its often the device moving up and down in the heel cup of the shoe. Reduce the width of the outside heel of the device, or add talc powder to the shoe before the patient puts on their shoes in the morning.

Edit cross posting same time as Simon I see

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
The Following User Says Thank You to mike weber For This Useful Post:
webthotics (12th January 2011)
Old 12th January 2011, 03:14 PM

About:

I had a patient recently and you could hear her coming a mile away, the orthotics were squeaking so much. It was actually a bit funny, we both had a bit of a chuckle. She had an intrinsically posted rearfoot on both orthotics so I just added an extrinsic rearfoot balance and the squeaking stopped. Her work colleagues could no longer call her Squeaks after that....

Also had another patient and they squeaked but not as much. Talcum powder didn't work so I added a forefoot balance according to the degree of forefoot deformity found by the lab and it also worked. Maybe check your posting and see if its balanced.

SJ
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah-Jane For This Useful Post:
webthotics (13th January 2011)
Old 12th January 2011, 06:36 PM

About:

If the squeaking is from the orthotic shell, sometimes along the lateral border of the orthotic, I have found something as simple as a piece of strapping tape along the plantar aspect of the lateral border of the device does the trick. As does a little felt or as Simon suggested some candle wax.
The squeaking in this location sometimes happens with 3mm carbon fibre orthotic shells, as the orthtoic deforms somewhat under body weight this causes friction between shoe and device.
The Following User Says Thank You to Timm For This Useful Post:
Old 12th January 2011, 08:12 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

I have a patient with the problem & the cause was the width of the device particularly along the medial arch region & it rubbing again the shoe upper. I narrowed the medial border slightly & that fixed the problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to markleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 13th January 2011, 09:35 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

When I was doing the fellowship at CCPM my orthotics were squeeking and I had a colleague tell me just put a leather strip under the front edge of the orthotic and it will stop. It didn't. I then put something, I don't remember what, under the rearfoot post and it stopped squeeking. I'm pretty sure that sqeeking is a rubbing somewhere and your mission, should you choose to accept, it is to figure out where. Or, just throw some talc in the shoe and hope that gets it.

Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to efuller For This Useful Post:
Old 13th January 2011, 10:25 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

This is probably not the case here as I think you had already established that the orthosis was the cause of the problem but for others reference;squeaking can occasionally be caused by the shank of the shoe.

It is less common these days but many shoes(and still a lot of orthopaedic shoes) are manufactured with a metal of wooden shank(the bit that reinforces the rear 3/4 of the shoe to stop it flexing in the middle)In particular, if the metal shank detaches from the midsole for any reason, it can rub against the sole unit material and cause squeaking. It is particularly bad if the sole unit is EVA/micro.

Testing for it is easy. Grab the shoe and simulate forefoot dorsiflexion then apply torquing movements and you should be able to illicit the same squeak as when walking. Solving the problem involves stripping the sole unit off completely and reattaching the shank.....or buy a new pair of shoes!

Robin
Old 13th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran
Most Valuable Poster (MVP)

About:
Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote:
Hi,

cheers,

Mark.
Mark:

As attached is the office handout I have been giving to my patients for the past few decades when they receive their orthoses. You, and the others following along, are welcome to use it, with your practice information added, as you see fit.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Orthotic Handout Scripps Getting Most Out, 9.1.05.doc (30.0 KB, 126 views)

Kevin

Kevin A. Kirby, DPM
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Applied Biomechanics
California School of Podiatric Medicine at Samuel Merritt College

E-mail: kevinakirby@comcast.net

Private Practice:
107 Scripps Drive, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825 USA
My location

Voice: (916) 925-8111 Fax: (916) 925-8136
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Kirby For This Useful Post:
Christelle Slabber (25th January 2011), hkpod (18th April 2011), lucycool (19th January 2011)
Old 17th January 2011, 11:01 PM

About:

I had a patient once who was a librarian with very squeaky orthotics. They drove him and everybody else nuts. I have had luck with either talc or with rubbing a bit of dish soap along the edge of the shell.
Old 19th January 2011, 03:23 AM

About:

yes
i also have been able to stop squeaking with wax and talc. however the occasional shoe/ orthotic combination this hasn't worked. If the patient insists on keeping those shoes then i cover the bottom of the orthotic with pc Vyles (top cover material), has worked every time....well so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to dsfeet For This Useful Post:
lucycool (19th January 2011)
Old 31st January 2011, 05:17 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinP View Post
Testing for it is easy. Grab the shoe and simulate forefoot dorsiflexion then apply torquing movements and you should be able to illicit the same squeak as when walking. Solving the problem involves stripping the sole unit off completely and reattaching the shank.....or buy a new pair of shoes!

Robin
Good point. I've heard a lot of different squeakers. A lot of people put up with it, but a lot of people do not, especially after spending so much on their footwear and orthotics.

Some of the early Dansko Golden Gate midsoles would squeak. Some people thought the sound was caused by their orthotics as well. The shoes have firm rocker soles that appear to be a one piece construction, but contain an EVA layer in the center. In early runs, this piece came unglued over time. The company seemed to rectify the issue and newer stock didn't seem to squeak.

Rubbing wax on the shell is a new one for me, but it makes sense. I've done everything else from using powders or adding a layer of 1/16" cushion cork or microcel puff under the orthotic. Curve last or narrow waist running shoes can interfere with an CFO's interface in my experience and also be prone to squeaking.

Sometimes the noise will only be noticable when someone is walking and weight bearing. Sometimes it's barely noticeable, and sometimes it's all in their heads.
Old 6th September 2011, 03:56 PM
The Admin that posts the news.

About:
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)

From Podiatry Today:
How To Fix Squeaky Orthotics