Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags: , , ,

Lateral ankle sprains- orthoses

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 10th March 2011, 05:54 AM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Smile Lateral ankle sprains- orthoses

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Hi everyone!
I am a second year pod student at UWIC and have a research design to write. I am looking to write mine on the success of the use of orthoses for recurrent lateral ankle sprains. I plan to do a randomised control trial so am looking for a placebo insole to use as a control and an orthotic to control the extra movement to pronate the foot more. I have some ideas but would appreciate some other views!

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10th March 2011, 06:01 AM
Administrator
Spam Buster

About:
Default Re: Lateral ankle sprains- orthoses

Randomised controlled trial for an undergraduate dissertation?? You won't have the time to do this surely?

There is no such thing as a placebo insole/orthosis.
Old 10th March 2011, 06:04 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshPod View Post
Hi everyone!
I am a second year pod student at UWIC and have a research design to write. I am looking to write mine on the success of the use of orthoses for recurrent lateral ankle sprains. I plan to do a randomised control trial so am looking for a placebo insole to use as a control and an orthotic to control the extra movement to pronate the foot more. I have some ideas but would appreciate some other views!

Thanks!!
to the Arena !!!

Ians point about Placebo orthotics is a very important one. We discussed it a little while ago Ill try and find the thread for you.

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Old 10th March 2011, 06:05 AM

About:

It is not a dissertation it is another essay and i was looking for something to use that one group of patients can be offered to use as a control. It does not necassarily need to do anything in particular, just so patients are unable to differentiate as to which group they are in. Thanks
Old 10th March 2011, 06:10 AM

About:

m weber
Thank you for the notice about the thread on placebo orthoses. i have found it and reading it now!
Old 10th March 2011, 06:17 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m weber View Post
to the Arena !!!

Ians point about Placebo orthotics is a very important one. We discussed it a little while agoI try and find the thread for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshPod View Post
m weber
Thank you for the notice about the thread on placebo orthoses. i have found it and reading it now!
For those reading here the thread Foot Orthoses -placebo

Arctic Monkeys - Do I Wanna Know?
Old 10th March 2011, 09:45 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

You could assess design variables instead of placebo. For example you could give one set of patients a forefoot valgus intrinsic post and another no intrinsic post. You would have to ignore forefoot to rearfoot relationship to do this and cast everyone so that they all have a perpendicular forefoot to rearfoot relationship. My sense is some labs ignore the heel bisection anyway. (No evidence just a feeling.)

There is more than one cause of lateral ankle instability. Delayed peroneal reaction time can also cause instability. A laterally positioned STJ axis can be another cause of ankle instability. Folks with sinus tarsi syndrome get delayed peroneal reaction times. Sinus tarsi syndrome is often caused by the foot being maximally pronated with a high pronation moment from the ground.

You shouldn't give intrinsic forefoot valgus posts to people who cannot evert their lateral column off of the ground because they have no range of motion in that direction. Let me know if you want to explain that more.

Eric