Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags: , ,

There is no barefoot running debate

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 13th January 2012, 11:35 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanked 1,059 Times in 772 Posts
Default Re: There is no barefoot running debate

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDP View Post
there is no debate possible with a lot of people on this site. Unfortunately.
"Podiatry Arena is a forum for discussion by podiatrists and other foot health professionals about all aspects of podiatry." Why should I debate anything with a lawyer here? Or someone who makes the coffee at IBM? Or anyone who isn't a foot health professional? That is what you are missing, Alex. Some podiatrists here are well and truly fed up with people such as yourself writing on here. Nothing personal. End of story. Goodbye.

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Sponsored Links
Old 13th January 2012, 11:47 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
SA: I heard barefoot running is good.
B: Barefoot running is bad.
A: Yeah? Where's the evidence?
B: Barefoot running is bad, I'm a professional.
I must have missed where someone here said barefoot running is bad... Can you show me?

What I have seen is health professionals who have a responsibility to more than just themselves pointing out that barefoot running is not a panacea for all running injuries- there is no scientific evidence that it is.
So... What is more responsible- suggesting that barefoot running is the solution to all running ills... And if you get injured trying it that the only reason is that you did too much too soon,
OR,
barefoot running is something that MAY be useful as a component of training, but must be carefully considered as it may not be for EVERYONE...
Qatar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital
Doha
QATAR

http://www.aspetar.com/
Old 13th January 2012, 01:36 PM

About:

Quote:
We should. And I, for one, am grateful that podiatrists do. In Western medical literature the mechanism of peer review is very important and it is good to see that it is being taken seriously. Twisting facts is very dangerous and somehow scientists from both sides are susceptible to it, therefore peer review is a good thing.

However what you now get is this:

A: I heard barefoot running is good.

The aura of being a professional means squat. You still have to prove that you're right. And that's where there is no debate possible with a lot of people on this site. Unfortunately.

I encourage you to read the 1000+ post thread originally on the barefoot debate. If you read that discussion without preconceived notions you will see your imaginary ABAB conversation above is not accurate. By the time this thread started, I think alot of people were sick of the having to make the same arguments over and over to the zealots.
The Following User Says Thank You to stickleyc For This Useful Post:
Craig Payne (13th January 2012)
Old 13th January 2012, 03:09 PM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:

Quote:
However what you now get is this:

A: I heard barefoot running is good.

The aura of being a professional means squat. You still have to prove that you're right. And that's where there is no debate possible with a lot of people on this site. Unfortunately.
What debate?
Your whole premise is wrong:
"B: Barefoot running is bad." ... where is anyone saying that? That was the whole point of my first post in starting the thread!! (I just back from a run in my NB Minimus's; tomorrow's run will be the my maximalist Hoka One One's!).

I only debating the rhetoric and propaganda; no one is claiming that people should not be running barefoot. Just look at the nonsense that is being espoused on some barefoot blogs about the recent study: Foot Strike and Injury Rates in Endurance Runners. How can you debate with people like that? That just opening themselves to ridicule and making fools of themselves.

It suits the church of barefoot running to have have an enemy (ie shoes and podiatry). As I discussed in another thread, I recently asked at a seminar of 150 podiatrists who was opposed to barefoot running ... there was none, so you have to question why the Church make that claim. Where are they getting there information from? I can only conclude that they are making it up as it suits them.

I read this yesterday on Steve Magness blog. He was talking about the crossfit debate - nothing to do with this topic, but the observation is astute:
Quote:
Crossfit exploits a couple different natural reactions people have to get people on their bandwagon. First, they create a straw man “us vs. them” mentality. We’ll go over this straw man tactic a bit later, but they try and cultivate this idea that just because it’s different and new means its got to be better. They throw in some pseudoscience or misinterpretation of science and they’ve bolstered their selling point.
...and the pattern repeats itself.
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 14th January 2012, 03:39 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Payne View Post
What debate?
Your whole premise is wrong:
"B: Barefoot running is bad." ... where is anyone saying that? That was the whole point of my first post in starting the thread!! (I just back from a run in my NB Minimus's; tomorrow's run will be the my maximalist Hoka One One's!).

I only debating the rhetoric and propaganda; no one is claiming that people should not be running barefoot. Just look at the nonsense that is being espoused on some barefoot blogs about the recent study: Foot Strike and Injury Rates in Endurance Runners. How can you debate with people like that? That just opening themselves to ridicule and making fools of themselves.

It suits the church of barefoot running to have have an enemy (ie shoes and podiatry). As I discussed in another thread, I recently asked at a seminar of 150 podiatrists who was opposed to barefoot running ... there was none, so you have to question why the Church make that claim. Where are they getting there information from? I can only conclude that they are making it up as it suits them.

I read this yesterday on Steve Magness blog. He was talking about the crossfit debate - nothing to do with this topic, but the observation is astute:...and the pattern repeats itself.
Well, I can agree with what you write here. Barefoot runners do have the tendency to make it an us versus them debate. One has to wonder though why they would do that. Pretty much the only logical explanation would be that either: a) they really aren't getting injured anymore the way they used to or b) they're just having a lot of fun barefoot running.

Personally I think it's about b). Barefoot running is fun. In the summer I do it all the time to strengthen my ankles (I play soccer). I don't run 50 miles barefoot though and I don't intend to either.

The barefoot church as you call it is part of something bigger though. It seems as if we're confronted with a "back to our roots" movement. You see paleo/primal diets, people lifting heavy weights, running barefoot.. all in an attempt to be what we once were. It's a form of revolt against the obese, sedentary society we have become. That is why it has become a question of sentiment. I'd argue that in the eyes of barefoot runners, podiatrists would probably represent part of that lazy, weak and obese society numbed by television and fast food.

What surprises me is not the attitude of these barefoot runners, who after all have not had an education about foot mechanics, but rather the attitude of podiatrists who instead of providing evidence resort to mocking and ridicule. Is it understandable after being so violently attacked? Definitely. Yet one does wonder why there's no evidence.
Old 14th January 2012, 12:07 PM

About:

Quote:
Yet one does wonder why there's no evidence.
Thats my only issue. How often do you read the claims about all the scientific evidence that is supposed to support barefoot running? In the earlier big barefoot running thread (>1000 posts), many barefoot runners posted that kind of statement, yet when challenged they never came back to produce the evidence or if they did come back, none of the evidence the produced actually supported what they were saying. (look at the discussion in the thread on Foot Strike and Injury Rates in Endurance Runners: a retrospective study and the claims about the "evidence" being made)
Quote:
Pretty much the only logical explanation would be that either: a) they really aren't getting injured anymore the way they used to or b) they're just having a lot of fun barefoot running.

Personally I think it's about b). Barefoot running is fun.
I have no problem with (b).

As for (a), there is no doubt a lot of runners with an injury history are now running injury free barefoot/minimalist. There is also no doubt that there are a lot of runners who are getting an injury barefoot:
- just ask anyone who treats a lot of running injuries about how many barefoot/minimalist runners they treat - its way higher as a proportion than the number that are running barefoot/minimalist
- just check all the barefoot forums at all the runners who are asking advice on for there running injury (yet those same websites claim barefoot running is a way to get rid of the injuries!

Some of that "medical" advice given to them on those forums is appalling! I am now aware of two posterior tibial tendon dysfunctions who have gone on to need osseous reconstruction in the rearfoot and they will never run again because of the advice given on barefoot forums - they were advised strongly to run thru it etc etc (my advice for a post tib dysfunction in runners is to give up running for 6 months - its that serious!). I caught a comment recently from a colleague who talked about several met stress fractures in barefoot runners that went on to complete breaks that needed surgical plating! - never seen that in a shod runner. (see The Barefoot Running Injury Epidemic)

Barefoot/minimalist running is NOT a panacea for overuse injuries. I use the term "Church" to indicate that those "Evangelists" are trying to convert people to the "religion" as it is a panacea! Why do they find it necessary to ram it down peoples throats?

For the sake of boring people, I will repeat this:
Rearfoot striking --> greater rearfoot impact
Forefoot striking --> greater rearfoot inversion moments; greater forefoot dorsiflexion moments; greater ankle dorsiflexion moments; maybe less knee adduction moments

All all depends on what your injury history is or what tissues need to off-load as to which one you should be doing. If there is an injury history related to any of the joint moments that are greater in forefoot striking, then get back on the rearfoot (eg post tib dysfunction is due to increased rearfoot inversion moments....might explain what I mentioned above!) etc etc.
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:35 AM

About:

Quote:
Thats my only issue. How often do you read the claims about all the scientific evidence that is supposed to support barefoot running? In the earlier big barefoot running thread (>1000 posts), many barefoot runners posted that kind of statement, yet when challenged they never came back to produce the evidence or if they did come back, none of the evidence the produced actually supported what they were saying. (look at the discussion in the thread on Foot Strike and Injury Rates in Endurance Runners: a retrospective study and the claims about the "evidence" being made)I have no problem with (b).
I agree that I don't see any evidence in favour of barefoot running. I see a lot of people saying that it worked for them - as an individual. There simply aren't good studies about it. What I find strange and slightly amusing however is that it's the barefoot runners who should provide the evidence according to many podiatrists. That does not make sense at all.

Like it or not, we were born without shoes. Therefore the default position is barefoot. It is what it is. Let's accept that. Then you have companies making shoes to protect your feet. I think we can also all agree that they do protect your feet from sharp object. No problem there. However now we have companies saying they make running shoes which protect your knees, ankles, hips etcetera.. We also have podiatrists making orthotics, without ever having made sure these things actually work. I say the burden of evidence is on these companies and on the people making these orthotics.

Thing is: this changes when you have a company that makes "barefoot running" shoes. They also claim this shoe prevents injuries. Therefore they also have to come up with evidence.

Quote:

As for (a), there is no doubt a lot of runners with an injury history are now running injury free barefoot/minimalist. There is also no doubt that there are a lot of runners who are getting an injury barefoot:
- just ask anyone who treats a lot of running injuries about how many barefoot/minimalist runners they treat - its way higher as a proportion than the number that are running barefoot/minimalist
- just check all the barefoot forums at all the runners who are asking advice on for there running injury (yet those same websites claim barefoot running is a way to get rid of the injuries!

Some of that "medical" advice given to them on those forums is appalling! I am now aware of two posterior tibial tendon dysfunctions who have gone on to need osseous reconstruction in the rearfoot and they will never run again because of the advice given on barefoot forums - they were advised strongly to run thru it etc etc (my advice for a post tib dysfunction in runners is to give up running for 6 months - its that serious!). I caught a comment recently from a colleague who talked about several met stress fractures in barefoot runners that went on to complete breaks that needed surgical plating! - never seen that in a shod runner. (see The Barefoot Running Injury Epidemic)

Barefoot/minimalist running is NOT a panacea for overuse injuries. I use the term "Church" to indicate that those "Evangelists" are trying to convert people to the "religion" as it is a panacea! Why do they find it necessary to ram it down peoples throats?

For the sake of boring people, I will repeat this:
Rearfoot striking --> greater rearfoot impact
Forefoot striking --> greater rearfoot inversion moments; greater forefoot dorsiflexion moments; greater ankle dorsiflexion moments; maybe less knee adduction moments

All all depends on what your injury history is or what tissues need to off-load as to which one you should be doing. If there is an injury history related to any of the joint moments that are greater in forefoot striking, then get back on the rearfoot (eg post tib dysfunction is due to increased rearfoot inversion moments....might explain what I mentioned above!) etc etc.
I can agree with that, but hell, people only want a quick answer .
Old 15th January 2012, 11:53 AM

About:

Revisiting this:
Quote:
Quote:
I see so called professionals mocking people from their ivory towers, failing to provide any evidence whatsoever.
I only mock those who deserve it. Can you explain why so many barefoot runners lie about research for? Should we not hold them accountable for that?
Have a look at posts#24 & 25 in this thread: Foot Strike and Injury Rates in Endurance Runners: a retrospective study. How can anyone with any resemblance of a brain came remotely close to defending what VIVOBAREFOOT are saying?

This just confirms what I said in the first post of this thread:
Quote:
As I have repeatedly said in numerous posts in numerous threads, I have nothing against barefoot running, what I object to is the misuse, misrepresentation, misquoting and misinterpretation of the science by the Evangelists from the Church of Barefoot Running.
Rather than getting better, its getting worse. Worse still is that the gullible are still falling for what they are saying.
Old 15th January 2012, 12:04 PM

About:

Quote:
Revisiting this:Have a look at posts#24 & 25 in this thread: Foot Strike and Injury Rates in Endurance Runners: a retrospective study. How can anyone with any resemblance of a brain came remotely close to defending what VIVOBAREFOOT are saying?

This just confirms what I said in the first post of this thread:Rather than getting better, its getting worse. Worse still is that the gullible are still falling for what they are saying.
I have got to admit that IS a spectacularly poor interpretation of that study. Makes no sense whatsoever. And besides, there are quite a few problems with that study anyway. Thing is though.. Vivo Barefoot are a shoe company. They say they make a shoe that will let you run injury free. In this case Vivo Barefoot will have to prove that claim. In reality there's no difference whatsoever between Nike or Vivo Barefoot, because they both claime to make shoes that reduce injuries.

All I am saying on the other hand is that it's weird that a lot of podiatrists on this forum place the burden of evidence on the barefoot runners. This isn't logical. If you design an orthotic and you give it to someone so he doesn't get injured, you should be able to back this up with evidence. Yet you're not. That is extremely odd, don't you think?
Old 15th January 2012, 01:20 PM

About:

Quote:
I In reality there's no difference whatsoever between Nike or Vivo Barefoot, because they both claime to make shoes that reduce injuries.
Are Nike claiming that?
Quote:
All I am saying on the other hand is that it's weird that a lot of podiatrists on this forum place the burden of evidence on the barefoot runners. This isn't logical. If you design an orthotic and you give it to someone so he doesn't get injured, you should be able to back this up with evidence. Yet you're not. That is extremely odd, don't you think?
Nope. There are now over 50 patient satisfaction, clinical outcome studies, retrospective, prospective, randomized controlled trials on foot orthotics. Every single one of them has shown foot orthotics work. Not one of them has shown they don't. Most of them were not even done by Podiatrists! Where are you getting your information from that: "you should be able to back this up with evidence. Yet you're not". The evidence is unequivocal!
Old 16th January 2012, 01:00 AM

About:

Quote:
Quote:
I In reality there's no difference whatsoever between Nike or Vivo Barefoot, because they both claime to make shoes that reduce injuries.
Are Nike claiming that?
As a follow up, I was intrigued what Nike were actually claiming, so I searched their website and found no claims from Nike that they make shoes to reduce injury. I could not find the claim on the Asics or Adidas website either (there may be, but I could not find it; or they made the claims elsewhere). I was surprised.

ADDED: I just went through the adverts in the Feb 2012 Runners World (Australian edition) and there were surprisingly NO claims made by the running shoes adverts about injury except one. ...... and that was from a minimalist shoe company!! ... don't figure!
Old 16th January 2012, 01:31 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
As I follow up, I was intrigued what Nike were actually claiming, so I searched their website and found no claims from Nike that they make shoes to reduce injury. I could not find the claim on the Asics or Adidas website either (there may be, but I could not find it; or they made the claims elsewhere). I was surprised.

ADDED: I just went through the adverts in the Feb 2012 Runners World (Australian edition) and there were surprisingly NO claims made by the running shoes adverts about injury except one. ...... and that was from a minimalist shoe company!! ... don't figure!
IF they could conclusively prove they could reduce injury they would be all over it in marketing. But would probably also leave themselves open to legal action (toning shoes????).

Make no mistake though- they are trying and testing designs with the aim of decreasing injuries... not all the money goes to marketing.
Doha
QATAR

Old 16th January 2012, 01:35 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
IF they could conclusively prove they could reduce injury they would be all over it in marketing. But would probably also leave themselves open to legal action (toning shoes????)..
So are all the minimalist running shoes opening themselves up to litigation based on the claims that they are making?

(Here is the thread on toning shoes litigation: Reebok faces lawsuit over toning shoe from unsatisfied customer)
Old 16th January 2012, 01:53 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Marketplace reputation 50% (0)

Quote:
So are all the minimalist running shoes opening themselves up to litigation based on the claims that they are making?

(Here is the thread on toning shoes litigation: Reebok faces lawsuit over toning shoe from unsatisfied customer)
Yep if the claims can be proven to be wrong.

Same as everything.

KINGSWOOD - Sucker Punch
Old 16th January 2012, 02:29 AM

About:

Quote:
Nope. There are now over 50 patient satisfaction, clinical outcome studies, retrospective, prospective, randomized controlled trials on foot orthotics. Every single one of them has shown foot orthotics work. Not one of them has shown they don't. Most of them were not even done by Podiatrists! Where are you getting your information from that: "you should be able to back this up with evidence. Yet you're not". The evidence is unequivocal!
That's not exactly unequivocal evidence. It shows that it works for some patients to some degree. I think we both agree on the fact that barefoot running also works for some patients to some degree. I have used orthotics in the past and they did reduce my injuries. However I now also incorporate barefoot running without orthotics and my injuries are gone. Both seemed to have a positive effect on me.
Old 16th January 2012, 02:31 AM

About:

Quote:
As a follow up, I was intrigued what Nike were actually claiming, so I searched their website and found no claims from Nike that they make shoes to reduce injury. I could not find the claim on the Asics or Adidas website either (there may be, but I could not find it; or they made the claims elsewhere). I was surprised.

1. The fact Nike don't explicitly claim it tells you something - they are very hesitant to say it works.
2. Nike do claim it, only they do it implicitly.
3. So? Same rules apply to the minimalist shoe company.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexDP For This Useful Post:
Horseman42 (16th January 2012)
Old 16th January 2012, 03:21 AM
Banned

About:

Quote:
Like it or not, we were born without shoes. Therefore the default position is barefoot. It is what it is. Let's accept that.
I agree. Glad to see I'm not the only stating that the default is barefoot.
Old 16th January 2012, 03:37 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Like it or not, we were born without shoes. Therefore the default position is barefoot. It is what it is. Let's accept that.
I agree. Glad to see I'm not the only stating that the default is barefoot.
Yes. Very good. You are both equally ridiculous.
Doha
QATAR

The Following User Says Thank You to CraigT For This Useful Post:
Tuckersm (16th January 2012)
Old 16th January 2012, 03:45 AM
Banned

About:

Quote:
Yes. Very good. You are both equally ridiculous.
More adhominem attacks, I see. How is this professional??
Old 16th January 2012, 04:19 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
More adhominem attacks, I see. How is this professional??
There are some reasonable arguments for the benefits of barefoot running (for some).
The fact that we are born barefoot is not one of them.
You have found someone else who agrees with you- yes another person who, like you, does not manage foot and gait problems for a living.
You are a nurse- correct? Do you prescribe anti-biotics?
Doha
QATAR

Old 16th January 2012, 04:43 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
There are some reasonable arguments for the benefits of barefoot running (for some).
The fact that we are born barefoot is not one of them.
You have found someone else who agrees with you- yes another person who, like you, does not manage foot and gait problems for a living.
I never said I agreed with Horseman.

Yes, I said the default position is barefoot. But that's all it is: the default position. It's neither good nor bad. Because running shoes alter this position, people who claim they alter that position for the better should prove this. It is unreasonable to put the burden of evidence on barefoot runner, all the while accepting that companies fail to produce evidence for their products.

If you had read my posts before you came to such a conclusion, you'd have noticed that I never claimed that barefoot running is either better or worse. Fact is: we don't know. I'd appreciate it if you'd read my posts before calling me ridiculous, because quite obviously you have no clue about what I have said.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:52 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spooner View Post
"Podiatry Arena is a forum for discussion by podiatrists and other foot health professionals about all aspects of podiatry." Why should I debate anything with a lawyer here? Or someone who makes the coffee at IBM? Or anyone who isn't a foot health professional? That is what you are missing, Alex. Some podiatrists here are well and truly fed up with people such as yourself writing on here. Nothing personal. End of story. Goodbye.
That you could be liable would be one reason to.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:54 AM
Banned

About:

Quote:
Yes, I said the default position is barefoot. But that's all it is: the default position. It's neither good nor bad. Because running shoes alter this position, people who claim they alter that position for the better should prove this. It is unreasonable to put the burden of evidence on barefoot runner, all the while accepting that companies fail to produce evidence for their products.

If you had read my posts before you came to such a conclusion, you'd have noticed that I never claimed that barefoot running is either better or worse. Fact is: we don't know. I'd appreciate it if you'd read my posts before calling me ridiculous, because quite obviously you have no clue about what I have said.
This is my position as well. It's what I was saying earlier, and is now what I'm being ridiculed on.
Old 16th January 2012, 04:58 AM
Banned

About:

Quote:
Yes I give out medication. Medication that has been tested and re-tested several times over. We have a CPS manual listing all the drugs and tests that were done to support the efficacy of all medication. All tested against the default position that being not taking the drug or anti-biotic .

What evidence, or tests do we have for the running shoes, were they ever tested to the default position??
Old 16th January 2012, 10:50 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
I never said I agreed with Horseman.
Actually I said that he agreed with you- and he has now said it again...

What you decide is 'default' is irrelevant.
Barefoot may be natural, but only in a natural environment- I cannot see why this is so important to you.

Quote:
Yes I give out medication.
Actually I asked if you prescribe anti-biotics...
I believe a Doctor would prescribe them as they have the training knowledge and experience to try and ensure that the most appropriate is prescribed. Do you question why they prescribe the antibiotics, or you think they are more qualified to do their job than you are?

Quote:
Medication that has been tested and re-tested several times over. We have a CPS manual listing all the drugs and tests that were done to support the efficacy of all medication. All tested against the default position that being not taking the drug or anti-biotic .
So this medication can be used by everyone at any time?
So there are never side effects? Everyone responds the same way?
The point is that there are reasons for such controls.
Do you really think that running shoes need such controls?

If you wanted such scrutiny of the shoe you want to exercise in, do some research and find a Podiatrist or a foot health professional in your area and get an assessment- believe it or not they will generally have a University degree (possibly more than one), will have experience by assessing people every day as well as other having gained further education through conferences and having contact with other professions through forums such as this one. (clue- contributors on this forum would be good bet).

And another thing- I will let you into a little secret- if you don't swallow all the marketing that running shoe companies spew forth, then you will be on the same page as most Podiatrists... we do actually sift through the bullsh!t to be able to provide good recommendations to our patients. That includes conventional running shoes as well as barefoot ones...
Doha
QATAR

Old 16th January 2012, 11:13 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spooner View Post
Quote:
That you could be liable would be one reason to.
Alex could you please clarify this statement, it comes off as a veiled threat?

David G. Wedemeyer, D.C., C.Ped.
Old 16th January 2012, 11:15 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wedemeyer View Post
I also read it as such. What exactly is your motive for joining this forum, Alex?
Old 16th January 2012, 11:17 AM

About:

Quote:
That's not exactly unequivocal evidence. .
What is not unequivocal about it? Every single study done worked show they work. Its that simple. You will not get stronger evidence for anything else!

Don't forget you claimed: "you should be able to back this up with evidence. Yet you're not"

Have you even actually read any of the >50 studies?
Quote:
1. The fact Nike don't explicitly claim it tells you something - they are very hesitant to say it works.
2. Nike do claim it, only they do it implicitly.
3. So? Same rules apply to the minimalist shoe company.
So its unacceptable for Nike to implicitly claim it and its acceptable for a minimalist company to explicitly claim it?
Old 16th January 2012, 12:13 PM

About:

Quote:
What is not unequivocal about it? Every single study done worked show they work. Its that simple. You will not get stronger evidence for anything else!

Don't forget you claimed: "you should be able to back this up with evidence. Yet you're not"

Have you even actually read any of the >50 studies?

So its unacceptable for Nike to implicitly claim it and its acceptable for a minimalist company to explicitly claim it?
No. Nike and the minimalist company are just the same. Perhaps I wasn't clear before, in that case I apologise. Both are shoe companies, both make claims, both could be liable. No difference between them whatsoever. However both disguise their claims. Nike will talk about cushioning - but not about injury. A minimalist company will talk about running the way nature intended you to - but not about injury.

As for those studies... Let's look at some other things. I am sure that everyone on this forum knows that strong glutes and hamstrings prevent anterior knee pain and are also a major factor in preventing ACL tears. Every somewhat respectable strength and conditioning coach out there (I'm thinking Eric Cressey, Kelly Bagget) knows that strong glutes encourage forefoot running. This change in gait is very obvious when you have someone do a specific glute exercise: you will notice that the person will walk on the ball of his foot immediately afterwards. The connection between the forefoot and the glutes is there. Now if you sprint barefoot, you will land on the ball of your foot. This will strengthen your glutes. Therefore barefoot sprinting does play a role in making people better athletes. The connection between ankle sprains and a weak gluteus medius has also been proven. My point in all this is: barefoot running, or at least barefoot sprinting, is pretty much something every strength coach has been using to improve athletes and make them less injury prone AND there is proof it works.
Old 16th January 2012, 12:17 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wedemeyer View Post
I was merely saying why my opinion could be relevant. It is nowhere near a veiled threat. I currently do not have any foot or ankle injuries, I am completely healthy and I combine barefoot running with shod running and soccer.

As for my motives for joining this forum: I am very interested in how the human body works and I do a lot to expand my medical knowledge. I realise that I am not a professional (one can only have so many degrees) and therefore I was very interested in reading professional opinions about barefoot running, which has helped my ankle and knee a great deal. I am not a barefoot fanatic however and I think there is a time and place for it, but it is not for everyone all the time.