Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Why all of the podiatry negativity?

Discussion in 'USA' started by MButler, Jun 6, 2005.

1. MButler

MButler Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am a young student that is enrolled in podiatry school and will begin my first semester in August of this year. I have read many articles on this website as well as another forum that are completely negative about podiatry as a profession. Why is this??? If they are trying to scare people out of the profession, why are they doing this? I don't understand their motives and I am curious as to what they are and why they are so negative about the profession. I have read from several well documented sources as well as have talked to several podiatrists from my area and it seems to be a thriving profession (at least in my area of the country). I mean - reasonable hours, good money, helping people.....I just don't see the negative in that. I am sorry but if I am missing the point then please let me know. I recently posted a thread asking for some success stories of podiatrists (I asked for some from Scholl College of Pod. Med. b/c that is where I am going) because I thought some responses would be a great answer to the negativity surrounding some of these forums. If anyone has anything to say about how being a podiatrist has benefitted them or even has been a bad decision. Please post it. I'm tired of seeing these negative opinions when we could have examples and get some evidence of whether those opinions are valid or not.

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have read what you have read .... I thought we were one of the better ones with the less negatvity here :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . We have had a couple of discussion on it: Podiatry Negativity and Podiatry Negativity on the Internet . I do not know why it happens --- some forums just attract negative people. I participate actively in another very unrelated forum and we see it there as well (ie everyone else is to blame for my problems and not me)... maybe its the nature of forums :confused:

3. Felicity Prentice

Felicity Prentice Active Member

What's so good about Podiatry!

Greetings MButler,

I could happily give you a thousand good things about Podiatry - from the fact that you are an independent primary care practitioner in a young and dynamic profession, to the opportunity to offer gentle and supportive palliative care to elderly people who really need and appreciate it. In between there is some glamour stuff (the sports med, the surgery, the paeds) and there is also some boring and repetitive stuff (the being nice to people all day bit can really wear off after a while!)

But the most important thing is that you are studying for a profession you feel positive about - and you need to hold on to that. I believe one of the reasons we get a lot of whingeing and negativity is that the profession is still young, still rapidly growing, still pushing the bourndaries and finding its way. So like a bunch of adolescents, we do a lot of complaining and bitching - but it is part of the process of growing up.

I am currently working as a lecturer in Podiatry (in Melbourne, Australia), but I am also qualified as a Primary/Secondary school teacher, and have worked in fields as diverse as marketing and public health promotion. Sometimes I think that Podiatry is too limited, and then I wander away and do another course and have a splash in a new pond, but I always seem to come back to Podiatry - so it can't be all that bad.

The best feel-good story about Podiatry? When I worked in a country Nursing Home (which does not count as a glamourous job by most standards). The dear elderly souls would hang out for their Podiatry appointment (every 6-8 weeks), because they had 30 mins or so of uninterrupted social interaction with someone who genuinely wanted to listen to them and their stories. They would fish out of their cardigan pockets a crumpled packet of buscuits they had saved from their morning tea "Because you always work so hard dea, I thought you might need these.", and then they would show me ancient and well-worn photos of their children who had moved to the big city and hadn't been to visit them in ages "becuase its too far for them to come". And then a wave of sadness and abandonment would pass over their face, but then they would look up and see that I cared for them, and just wanted to make them feel more comfortable. And that was the best gift I could give them, and it was priceless for me.

4. MButler:

The analogy of perceiving whether the glass is either "half-full" or "half-empty", depending on personal viewpoint, may be appropriate here in helping you understand the phenomenon described above at this early stage of your future career.

Those podiatrists that see the glass as "half-empty" and broadcast this fact over the internet, in my opinion, are losers. They think that life owes them something, and because none of their successful podiatrist-acquaintances want to listen to their whining, they go "public" with their whining. They basically want others to know how miserable they are and how they have been "mistreated by podiatry". Unfortunately, this type of individual is not just present within the podiatry profession, but is present within all professions. They are the individuals that I have always tried to avoid during my lifetime since the dark-cloud that seems to constantly hang over their head is depressing to me.

However, those podiatrists that see the glass as "half-full" and don't broadcast their love of podiatry over the internet, are very different people. They are optimistic, enjoy the privilege of helping people, and are too busy with their practices and with their families/loved ones to take the time to tell everyone how great their profession is on the internet. These are the individuals that I have always enjoyed socializing with and learning from during my twenty years of practice.

I suggest that you find a few good podiatrists that see the glass as "half-full" and use them as role-models for yourself for the wonderful career that you will soon be entering.

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Can't say it any better than that:
    In the other forum (unrelated to Podiatry) that I moderate at, that statement from Kevin would also be applicable to the
    [​IMG]

6. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

In case anyone is wondering what is being refered to in this thread, check this site as an example: Podiatry Bytes
    http://www.angelfire.com/on/podiatry/

It has not been updated in a long time. (....also turn your 'pop-up' bocker on before visiting).

7. Felicity Prentice

Crikey - this one's dangerous kiddies

Well, if the person responsible for the site doesn't get along well in Podiatry, he/she could always consider a Home Shopping Network. The style of the text and the urgency of the prose would indicate that they could put together a nice half hour video-commercial selling, um, let's see, skin rejuvenation cream, or rotary nose-hair trimmers.

I would wonder that someone who claims to be working so hard (early mornings and late nights as described, despite the lack of work available - hmm contradiction there, but let's not worry) would have the time and energy to create such a vast and comprehensive epistle of damnation. Still, it made for a peculiarly entertaining read -thanks for the link Craig,

cheers,

Felicity

8. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Recommendations?

Hi All,

I nearly see what you mean Felicity! I tried it Craig and Yahoo' Anti-spam refused point blank, quickly followed by the Firewall, Commenting on request which in short meant, 'you must be joking' and promptly locked the computer up!

Am I an optimist or a pessimist? Pays to be self-critical of one's self, (And possibly others hopefully with kindness rather than the American/Canadian way? But it pays to remember that you are likely to die five years early if you are a total pessimist!

Just maybe the middle way is still the best! Total optimism leads to boring? Total pessimism leads to interestingly whining!

Regards,

Colin, (Now I shall go and take a tranquilizer! I feel I might be developing a dreaded attack of Pesimisticum Aggravated Sychoitis again?).

P.s. When under fire you must keep a sense of humour, particularly when you know you are right and everyone else is wrong, don't you know!!!).

9. paula-j.

paula-j. Member

M. Butler,
    I have been a Podiatrist for 20+ years(graduated when I was 20). I would have to concur with everything Felicity mentioned and like everything in life it's purely your perception that creates either your satisfaction or disatisfaction with everything. Some people will always see the negative.
    Podiatry has been a great profession for me. I live and work in the country and I've worked in both the publicand private sectors. Probably the biggest advantage has been the ability to be able to work my own days and hours ( I've never worked full time)and to be my own person, never having someone telling what to do!! Definitely the enjoyment of being able to offer something immediate to your clients that walk in the door, is a great source of satisfaction. If you take pride in what you do (however menial!!) it gives you great confidence and that will reflect back to your clients.
    Paula

10. Colin:

Being an "American", I am interested in what your above comment means or refers to? Are you saying that Americans and Canadians do not treat others with kindness?

11. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Treatment and kindness?

Hi Kevin,

I take your point! Just had my fingers burned by a Canadian Nurse, (She may have been American?). This happened over the week-end and it may have coloured my comment above? I got the feeling and impression that there is a much greater cut and thrust over your end! I felt the only way with this nurse was to remove my Post without comment, and Admin. removed the offending item!

There is a bluntness that seems to colour some of the replies we get on this Forum which I assumed brought forth the title of this Thread, 'Negativity'!

The UK. and Australian Forums appear to argue the point in the main without hitting you over the head with it. Although with a little hinds site I might be wrong about that to!

You are quiet right to pull me up on this one, for reading the sentence again it really is a stereotype isn't it!!! I apologize if you think it is to simplistic, your probably right?

You see I still get the impression that a lot of gripes over your end are argued as if it was a life or death matter, (Just may be it is in a commercial sense in some cases!)?

I am sure that most American/Canadian Podiatrist enjoy their work and interact with their patients as much and as well as I do in England! Just maybe they are the silent few in the main, commented on above! It just doesn't seem to come over like that in the Forums I fear!

Regards,

Colin. (Of course I could have got this one wrong too, but I don't think so?).

P.S. Kindness, how do you find the American express this one and is it apparent in your society or is the impression on some of the Forums etc. the Norm?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  12. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Dudes and dudesses

"Losers and winners" and "zenophobia" , who says podatry forums are boring.

To be frank I think reading the negative comments are extremely positive and reassuring. I know who I am, and am able to justify my life choices so reading of others less assured does not depress me, it just informs. I can empathise and sympathise and even criticise through this wonderful medium and all without leaving my office. We could not do that a decade or so ago.

Cyber communication is rather like aerial graffiti not all that memorable but within, is expressed real truisms and cyberspace is the perfect mode for it. You may bitterly disagree with comments but the right to say it is of paramount importance. Freedom of speech is a human right, which demands all of society to be tolerant. A big ask, I know, but that just goes with the turf.

Like humour many a true word is spoken in negativity and if the worst we are going to learn is podiatrists tend as a generalisation to have a low self-esteem then this only reinforces the ethnological research about our culture. As Craig, Felicity, and others have pointed out on a bigger plain, not only is the same behaviour played out but also thinking outside our own comfort zone may decrease our primal fears and insecurities about being podiatrists.

As to Kevin’s advice of only speaking to people with positive attitudes I would have to disagree, (but then I would, would I not?). A person about to embark on a career choice needs to be informed and discern for themselves the good and the bad. Well done the instigator of this theme.

To do otherwise may blinker and handicap (to use racing vernacular) the individual who then after qualifying realises not all is perfect in the world of podiatry and becomes frustrated because their ability to control their own destiny is seen to be in (temporary) crisis. The crisis theory used in nursing would prefer a balance in this case between Capability, Job Satisfaction and Life Style. Having the capability to train, as a podiatrist only to find no job satisfaction and or a life style incompatible with expectation would result in crisis. An outward sign would be articulating negativity about their job lot. Is this not what we are seeing? Critical mass would dictate if more pods were dissatisfied than satisfied, then as a profession, we have a problem. If the descenters are in the minority we have a normal distribution. As in Plato’s cave, of course minorities are marginalised and discredited as acting against the common good. History shows these people are persecuted. Now reread the correspondence and you may see exactly what I mean.

We are a caring profession, and that extends to peers and colleagues.

In my capacity as a forensic sexology and to make the point crystal clear, we are all responsible for our own orgasm. The metaphor extends to life’s choices, which include vocation.

What say you?

Cameron
    Hey, what do I know?

13. Felicity Prentice

Cameron's orgasm

"The Age" (Melbourne newspaper) today (June 9th, p.8) reported that "The ability [for women] to gain sexual satisfaction is largely inherited....The Australian study found genes accounted for 31 per cent of the chance of having an orgasm during intercourse and 51 per cent during masturbation."

So, perhaps satisfaction in Podiatry as a vocation is also inherited. I currently teach a student whose Mother went through Uni with me (God, how old am I - groan). The point of research ethics is - should I interview this student to see if Podiatry gives both her and her mother 'satisfaction' in ANY sense of the word? How did she come (so to speak) into this profession?

Nothing to do with anything really, but I am also happy to divert the conversation away from the serious and into the gutter. Go Cameron, you filthy entertaining wee beastie.
    cheers,

Felicity

14. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Felicity

You know me , always ready to lower the tone.

You wrote
    >So, perhaps satisfaction in Podiatry as a vocation is also inherited.

I think you have a point and the very nature of our job does I think attract a certain type of personality. Bob Ashford of University of Central England did some preliminary work on personality profiling way back and if my memory serves pods came out in the main, as extroverted introverts. Rather like commedians, good fun in public but with a darker side (rarely seen in public). The nature of the job where you cannot make friends of your patients and patients of your friends rather suits the personilty profile. Like Shakespearean asides (which reveal to the audience the real character), jottings on the email act like public confession rather than a condemnation of what others do, it is a bid to find kindred spirits.

Always better after a chat with you Felicity. Will you marry me ?

Cheers
    Cameron
    NB Craig , that is a first, the first proposal of marriage on Podiatry Arena

15. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

A Fit of Peak!

Hi All,

Isn't it terrible when you feel out of your depth! I daren't reply to Felicity', I might get arrested!!! And Cameron says it all!!!

Despite the little fit of peak Craig/Kevin on my part detected by you all! I'm still happy to spent 35$ on an American Repair kit for the Computer! It stopped working for ten whole minutes last night after I kicked it! Yet another fit of peak!

Regards All,

Colin.

P.S. Do you think we had better give this one back to the Americans? No I'm enjoying it!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  16. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Defragmantize, Me or the Computer?

Hi Kevin,

We seem to have our minds on other things today? I'm sure we will get back to you before long!

I've been trying to defragmentize the hard disks since time immemorial, aren't the Americans wonderful!

Regards,

Colin.

17. Felicity Prentice

Doing it in the Arena

Hey Cameron - a marriage proposal - what a buzz. My husband is thrilled for me, but my five children are uncertain about the move to England, altogether too cold for them; except one of my 6 year old twins who is delighted at the thought of moving closer to the heartland of Thomas the Tank Engine.

I am still quite fond of my husband though, so do you think we could include him in the package? (Ooh, I would love to make a Utah-oriented comment here, but I am sure that the full wrath of our colleagues in far flung places would fall upon my head).

Sigh - I fear for now that ours will be a union consumated by sly and wicked innuendo across the sturdy and reliable pages of this positive and truly wholesome forum.

Hey Craig - this posting has nothing to do with Podiatry or feet - does it get to stay on?

cheers
    (in a caring, supportive and quaintly romantic, yet innocent and pure, nay multigrain, manner)
    Felicity

18. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

...only becasue IOU :)

19. dmdon

dmdon Active Member

cheers
    (in a caring, supportive and quaintly romantic, yet innocent and pure, nay multigrain, manner)
    Felicity

Stop it.........the multigrain thing sounds perverse! :eek:

Cheers

David

20. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

Hi All,

MULTIGRAIN? I've got the Dictionary out!

Regards,

Colin.

P.S. Blushing!

21. polygamous euphoria

Hi Felicity

It might be even more incestuous in the U.K. I’m not sure if anyone has studied family tendencies in vocational activities but it seems podiatry has more than its fair share of second and third generation clinicians. I don’t buy the genetic theory though – have a read of They **** you up. by Oliver James and you come away with the impression that genes are responsible only for a tiny fraction of our behaviour – the majority of which is fashioned by environment and experience. Maybe it's just an easy option - following in father's/mother's footsteps - or perhaps we do it to seek approval, subconsciously or otherwise. I wonder how we compare to other vocations?
    I would love to find out how they reached their conclusions. Dr Stuart Meloy, an anaesthetist in Salem and inventor of the 'orgasmatron' suggested that the female orgasm was 99% physical and 1% psychological and certainly his little device appeared to support this supposition. I'm more than a little sceptical however, perhaps due to the fact that my glass is always half empty.

Regards

Mark Russell

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  22. dmdon

dmdon Active Member

"certainly his little device appeared to support this supposition."

And there is nothing like having your supposition supported I say! :D

Cheers

David

23. podiatrist100

podiatrist100 Member

One of the good things about podiatry is one helps people. Also such wonderful comments from people like Kevin Kirby who teaches and I personally learn a lot from him.
    I attempted to get a podiatry residency in 1984 and again in 1985 and was denied a program. I was board certified by ABPM and in 2014 got denied a residency program after wonderful recommendations, treating thousands of patients, great patient reviews, never getting sued and I was an attending in a hospital with residents assisting me. However after getting denied a program in 2014 this was disappointing. Yet then I go and read posts from Kevin Kirby and other posts from people that like to teach others and this cheers me up. So I guess I never can qualify to get licensed to cut toenails in North Carolina or to perform a punch biopsy of the ankle in NYS.
    My salary is posted regarding medicare payments and so is everyone else. Bottom line is I love podiatry. But to have this as a field to actually qualify to get licensed to practice in the state of one's choice, good luck getting a residency match or hope that one is able to get licensed without such training.

24. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

You were in practice during the time period when reimbursement was much higher. You should be thankful. Most Podiatrists in countries outside of the USA are not even allowed to do foot surgery and yet seem to be successful and fulfilled.

All available residency spots should first go to the new graduates. They have enormous school loans and we owe it to them first to get them matched, not Podiatrists out in private practice for 30 years so they can do punch biopsy of the ankle or cut nails in North Carolina.

I suggest for 2015 to put the fact that you were denied a residency behind you and embrace and have gratitude for the life you have now.

Steven

25. podiatrist100

podiatrist100 Member

The life any unmatched podiatrist has now is the prohibition from moving to North Carolina and having a basic license to work for a lack of residency training. The life I have now is preventing me from moving to North Carolina.
    Every podiatrist should never be unmatched more than one year in a row and this would be the answer. As far as loans to pay off everyone's financial situation is different.

More important than money is health. Sometimes for possible reasons even related to health one must move to another state. Problem is if they can't get licensed in that state this is problematic.