Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Podiatric Surgery Training in Australia?

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 25th May 2011, 12:00 AM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Podiatric Surgery Training in Australia?

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Are there any chances of training in Podiatric Surgery in Australia?

I know in the UK it is pretty difficult to get into and a few people have mentioned that they are not keen to support Podiatric Surgery Training in Australia..

Has anyone qualified recently..is it possible to get sponosorship/mentoring?

I was just on a wound management course and chatting to the Head of Podiatric Surgery from an American University and he stated that they can't get enough surgeons over there..3 years training to do foot surgery and 5 to do foot and hip...with guaranteed work afterwards..

Just wondered why the training isn't pushed for in Australia?..I am 43 but I say never too old if you put your mind to it!
Sponsored Links
Old 25th May 2011, 12:49 AM

About:
Default Re: PODIATRIC SURGERY TRAINING

It certainly is possible
I would recommend you start here .... The Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons http://www.acps.edu.au/
Old 25th May 2011, 02:03 AM
Administrator

About:
Default Re: Podiatric Surgery Training in Australia?

See this thread on surgical training in Australia
Old 25th May 2011, 02:36 AM

About:

In relation to Podiatric Surgery you state;

" 3 years training to do foot surgery and 5 to do foot and hip "

I don't think the latter is true
Old 26th May 2011, 02:53 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Flanagan View Post
In relation to Podiatric Surgery you state;

" 3 years training to do foot surgery and 5 to do foot and hip "

I don't think the latter is true
That is straight from the horses mouth..the guy who runs the Podiatric Surgery and Orthopaedics at the University of San Diego...hey George this is Liz..I worked with you in Tameside, how are you? How is your training going?
Old 26th May 2011, 03:15 AM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2pod View Post
It certainly is possible
I would recommend you start here .... The Australasian College of Podiatric Surgeons http://www.acps.edu.au/
Thanks for the info..the research I have done to date doesn't show too promising for Australian prospects..in job terms. I think if I was 10 years younger I would just go for it but by the time I have done a masters, then training and then getting through it all and then trying to find a position....I will be well over 50!!! I guess that still isn't too old??!!!
Old 26th May 2011, 04:41 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by footsteps2 View Post
Thanks for the info..the research I have done to date doesn't show too promising for Australian prospects..in job terms. I think if I was 10 years younger I would just go for it but by the time I have done a masters, then training and then getting through it all and then trying to find a position....I will be well over 50!!! I guess that still isn't too old??!!!
I know others that have struggled with the same thoughts.
One of the differences between here and America is the acceptance/recognition for Podiatric Surgeons amongst the hospitals and other surgeons and possibly even politicians.
The current surgeons have fought many a battle around this with varied outcomes, and I'm sure they will continue to do so.
Old 26th May 2011, 05:10 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by footsteps2 View Post
There are no 'positions' - as there are really no public funded podiatric surgery positions in Australia. This is not through lack of trying - its politics. This means that almost all podiatric surgery activity in Australia occurs in the private sector.

I would personally argue if there were a lot more podiatric surgeons around, there would be more of an argument to use them as a viable alternative surgical workforce. Sadly, I feel it will be many decades before this occurs in Australia.

The Podiatry Board of Australia also accepts the Doctor of Clinical Podiatry degree from the School of Surgery at UWA as a qualification to be a podiatric surgeon, in addition to the Fellowship program of the ACPS. It is 3 years full time.

LLLL
Old 11th June 2011, 07:52 PM

About:

I agree that UWA is a excellent option...

I may be wrong I did hear that the UWA program is only part time atm so 6 years part time... I mean part time is still very difficult juggling work and study (from my friends