Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Shoe foot mismatches

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by NewsBot, May 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Foot and Shoe Size Mismatch in Three Different New York City Populations
    Ran Schwarzkopf, Donato J. Perretta, Tara A. Russell, Steven C. Sheskier
    The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery published online 27 May 2011.

2. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

"The aim of the present study was to determine the proportion of adults who are unaware of their own shoe size in 3 different New York City populations"

That is almost laughable, how can they know their own shoe size when shoe size varies from manufacture to manufacture and style to style within the one manufactures range:pigs:

And thats not to mention the changes in the foot, the variation in the diabetics in the group

The fit is the job/ responsibility of the clinician

3. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Anyone got the whole thing of this? Greatly appreciate if anyone could send me a version

Studies about correct shoe size are, by and large, bo!!ocks in my opinion.

Shoe/foot length is not the only thing that makes a shoe a good fit. What makes a shoe a good fit (in my experience)above all other factors is the long heel measure

The long heel measure is the circumference from the instep measure(apex of the dorsum of the foot[approx]), round the back of the heel to the instep again.

If a shoe accurately fits this measure, with some type of fastening, it will generally stay in place and not slip. The short heel, heel width and instep circumference are all factors but less important

The biggest reason that I see with inappropriately sized footwear is(predominantly)ladies wearing slip on shoes. The shoes slip unless they are jammed on to the foot and they are subsequently wearing 2 sizes too small. Give them a shoe that is the correct width and depth for their feet, they mock you by making any one of these comments(or variations thereof)

1. Gosh, I feel like Herman Munster
    2. I could go up the canal in these
    3. Nobody's going to mess with me with these on
    4. They are just like Bovver boots
    5. I'm swimming around inside of these(literally!)

I congratulate them on not having heard that one before and enter into another explanation as to why they don't feel like the shoes that are "so comfotable" but ironically, the only ones they get pain when they are wearing.

I need a holiday I think

Robin

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

5. supergpops

supergpops Member

So true and it makes my head hurt almost daily :bash:

6. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I meant to add something that I read when someone posted about a day in the life of an opthalmic surgeon(?)

I die a little bit more inside.

Thanks for the empathy supergpops - I need it!

Regards,

Robin

7. dragon_v723

dragon_v723 Active Member

I dont think they dont know their shoes but rather they just like the styles so they dont care,at least from my experience with some of my younger patients

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Bollocks - I agreed Mr Perry

Fit for purpose -

9. Johnvic

Johnvic Welcome New Poster

Yes size does matter :D