Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Australian Registration for overseas podiatrist

Discussion in 'Australia' started by DavidJames, Jun 13, 2005.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone know how difficult it is (or Not) to register in Australia. I have a BSc(Hons) Podiatry and SRCh and a Post Grad Sports Podiatry Cert

Cheers

Dave (UK). :eek:

2. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

3. Rachel

Rachel Welcome New Poster

Australian Registration

Hi Dave,
    I emmigrated several years ago from the UK and depending on which school you trained at in the UK you will be required to sit a wriiten and a full clinical exam (very much like final year in UK) or just clinical. (If the school you trained at in the UK is listed with the immigration board you only have to do the clinical exam)
    You have to arrange this via the Australian Podiatry Council and a school in which state you wish to practice and also pay all the fees and flights to come here and sit your clinical exam.
    Hope this helps

4. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Hi David

I think Rachel might be out of date and if you follow Craig's link you will get to the most current information. Australia is a big country however with a very diverse climate and life style so best to find out where in the big brown land you want to go . Start your general enquiries with that State Registration Board. If you want to work between states you need to be registered with each state board. That is very expensive and distance alone means you would need to be on the east coast to be able to physically do that The trip from Perth to Syndey for example would be the equivalent to, from London to Moscow. You can fit 22 Great Britians into Western Australia and the total poluation is 2,000,000. (We have 70 miilion in one GB)

All the best

Cameron
    Am coming home

5. DavidJames

DavidJames Welcome New Poster

Cameron

I had the impression from the website that if you have been educated to degree level in the UK (Podiatry) and obtained a BSc you were considered to be eligible to direct entry onto the register in Australia.

http://www.apodc.com.au/Education/recqual.pdf

It states on the above webiste UK registered Podiatrists

"Applicant who have successfully completed a podisarty course at one of the Approved schools maybe exempt from stage 1 examination

and

"candidates from the UK may be exempt from sitting stage II exam in the following circumstances
    Current registration
    a three year tertiary degree in podiatry
    All requested documentation

Has anyone form the uk registred in Australia with out sitting an exam??
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers

Dave

6. beckringrose

beckringrose Member

I trained in Scotland and emmigrated to Australia 2 years ago. If you have a podiatry degree from a recognised UK university and at least 2 years work experience you will not have to sit any exams. I was allowed to use my 4th honours year at uni as part of the 2 years work experience (this only counts for Scottish students who qualify after 3 years but do an extra year to get honours). Contact the podiatry board of the state you wish to work in for more details. When you are registered you can then get your visa and it doesn't take long. I'm on a 4 year business sponsorship visa.

7. podesh

podesh Active Member

Hi Dave

I emmigrated 18months ago on a Regional sponsored migration scheme, which gives you permanent residency but you are contracted to the job for two years. Luckily I love my job, if it was vice versa it would a very long two years!!

I emmigrated 9 months after I graduated, you need to a have a degree or diploma from a recognised school and references, you may also need a first aid cert (can't remember now). The first thing you need to do, is get the forms and relevant information in order to have your skills assessed by the Australian Podiatry Council. The second thing, decide on what visa you are going to come out on, 4 year work visa (need a job offer), RSMS (job offer needed), Permanent Residency (long process).

Some friends of mine, had work visa's and did locum jobs in different states, they initially found work through global health source, as I did. PM me if you want more info.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes