Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Soft tissue mass

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Ian Drakard, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all

Thought I'd put up this one for interest. 21 year old male, good health, and no meds.
    Presented complaing of hard skin on both feet especially the left 1st mtpj which he wanted treating prior to increasing his activity levels. During the history he remarked that he'd had a problem around this area since at least the age of 8, as he remembered trying to cut it off himself.

Heavy area of callus around plantar/medial left 1st mtpj which on debridement revealed this soft tissue mass, firm on palplation at which point I thought this is getting referred on! I'm thinking an epidermoid cyst at moment but do you have any other ideas?

Attached Files:

• foot.jpg
      foot.jpg
      File size:
      359.7 KB
      Views:
  2. blinda

blinda MVP

Nice pic, Ian :drinks

First impression, possible dermatofibroma. You`re right to refer on. This needs biopsy to rule out dermatofibrosarcoma, or any other unwelcome `oma`

Cheers,
    Bel

3. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

4. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

Cheers Bel- good old iphone :drinks

I was hoping you'd reply- I know how you like your lumps and bumps :D
    I'll keep it in mind. I said it felt firm in the original post, should have also said it felt tight (if that helps).

Catfoot- it did cross my mind. So I remembered not to put sal acid on it and just used pyrogallic and some phenol crystals instead in case it might be a VP afterall ;)

Any more ideas keep 'em coming. If I get anything back following the referral will let you know.

5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hello Ian

As Catfoot stated, any or all of the possible diffdiagx mentioned on Szuzanna's posting could hold true, although I agree that a dermoid cyst is the most likely.

When the biopsy is carried out can you please post the result?

All the best

Bill

6. blinda

blinda MVP

Ah, a tight `n firm nodule, eh? Agree with your initial thought and Bill`s; likely a dermoid cyst. These slow growing lesions stem from birth and are often noticed during childhood or early adulthood, such as this fella.

Please do chase up the biopsy result, all too often we are not informed of the outcome once referred on.

Off to the fantastic Hat Fair now.....http://www.hatfair.co.uk/

Have a good weekend:drinks
    Bel