Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

More Pods in the future?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by pdoan01, Dec 8, 2011.

1. pdoan01

pdoan01 Active Member

2. Rudy

Rudy Active Member

Gee does this mean we have more pods, with less brains (or at least lower entry marks) and higher students per teacher ratios at uni. That has to be good for the profession.

3. pdoan01

pdoan01 Active Member

correct, evan though technichally the high entry scores to uni are basically demand and supply are they not? but in theory the higher ATAR score the individual gets, the smarter they are (based on the evidence that they are ranked better among students)?

4. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

Well, considering we do the same 1st year subjects as Physios ( who required 98 to get in some Unis, just because it's a popular course), I fail to see what all the snobbery is about. Plenty of "smart young things" get into Uni & then drop out because they don't like it or have no concept of what the job entails. If the lower scores mean it is accessible for more people to gain entry who have a real interest in the job, surely this is a good thing?
    There is a huge undersupply of Pods nationally, some just need to be prepared to get away from the capital cities to see this.
    More students: less teachers = having to work hard to get through, which makes you more appreciative of the end result.
    I've met plenty of nurses who would make great doctors, but have no chance because of the marks required. Maybe an interview & work/life experience should be taken into account, not just high marks.
    I've also met some Med students who are just juvenile and idiotic, lets hope they grow up before they graduate!!
    Cheers,
    Kara.

5. pdoan01

pdoan01 Active Member

Actually podiatry shares only 40% common 1st year with physios subject wise.

1st Year Podiatry and Physio common subjects:

-full body functional anatomy (year long subject)
    -physiology/microbiology/medical sciences
    -generic health communication/practice subject

Podiatry only:
    - Sociology
    -intoduction to podiatric medicine
    -pathophysiology (commence)
    -gernotology
    -possibly pharamacology

Physio only:
    -psychology
    -physio subject
    -common allied health subject

Well having an interest doesnt really take you very far if you you a) are not really wanting to do it and it makes you happy, b) you are not smart enough. It may be good you are interested but so many apply and get in but by the end of first year end up dropping out and doing something else. Therefore entry scores for podiatric medicine should be at least 84 + mark to weed out those possible 'dropouts'. Well in regards to under supply, at least quality over quantity right?

I agree with the interview bit, but only if its included with marks for consideration to entry, also it would be good if all currrent podiatry courses make sure all applicants do the UMAT or STAT test before applying, at least then we would get more input on who is applying, and with juvenile med students well it is Uni, all students should be having fun, you only have a short time before you have to work

6. DMax

DMax Member

lol....I am not too sure about the comment on "less brains = lower entry marks"

I myself have received high 90's back in 2003...not quite 99...but think back now...it wasn't about how smart I was, but more about how much effort I have put into my studies back in VCE.....If I was to spend more time on studying and less time on playing....I might have gotten a higher ENTER.

Plus...many of my high school mates who has gotten very low ENTERS are now either LAWYERS or DOCTORS :p

High school performances DOES NOT equal Tertiary performances!