Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

CCPM Pod Squad Running Club

Discussion in 'Podiatry Trivia' started by Kevin Kirby, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    When I arrived at the California College of Podiatric Medicine (CCPM) in San Francisco in the late summer of 1979, I knew I was in special company. Out of the 132 students in that freshman class, five of us had run the Boston Marathon in the one or two years prior and many of us had competed in long distance running at the collegiate level before entering podiatry school. We also had a number of good recreational runners in my class. That year, after discussion with the core group of more dedicated runners in my class including Steven Palladino, [who was my cross country and track teamate at UC Davis before CCPM and ran a 2:16 marathon at Boston in 1979], David Hannaford, David Laha, Matt Fettig and Paul Resignato, we decided to form the "CCPM Pod Squad Running Club". The Pod Squad was the largest club at our school, boasting a membership of close to 100 students.

One of our fund-raising activities for the Pod Squad was to make a t-shirt to sell to other students, their friends and families. On the shirt (see photo) back was the slogan "Go Heal A Foot". In addition, we organized the longest centipede ever run in the Bay to Breakers Race in San Francisco in May 1980 with 39 runners with 78 antennae and 150 feet in length (see photo). Included in the centipede were now famous podiatrists Drs. Ron Valmassy, Rich Blake, and Jeff Christensen. To cap it all off, in 1981, at the end of our sophomore year at CCPM, Drs. Richard Blake and John Colson organized and ran, along with 10 other CCPM students/residents, a relay from the Oregon to the Mexico border, along the length of California, to celebrate National Foot Health Week in the US. [See photo: (Left to right top) Bob Eckles, Steve Palladino, Paul Resignato, Bruce DeBelle, Jane Denton, Dave Laha, (left to right, bottom) Richard Jones, Kevin Kirby, Pam Sisney, Matt Fettig, Rich Blake, John Colson, Chris Yee, Dave Hannaford] Each of the runners did about 80-120 miles in the week it took to complete the relay, running 24 hours a day, with no rest stops.

We had some pretty good times back then. Just thought this should all be recorded for podiatry history since we all are now 30 years older and our memories are getting somewhat faded from those younger days.

2. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Great pics Kevin, good times. Thanks for sharing.

3. Although I'm not sure why you look so happy in the second picture, since you appear to going the wrong way. Unless you just switched a sign and sent the guy behind you off in the wrong direction?;)

4. davidlaha

davidlaha Welcome New Poster

Kevin:

Thanks for the pictures! It brings back many good memories. Our "Pod Squad class" had a lot of fun during our years together. I will try to dig up some of my pictures.

I hope all is going well with all of our class"team"mates. Bay to Breakers was fun with our 39 person, 150 ft long, centipede. Border to Border was also a good memory. Not much sleep, but a lot of fun.

Coming from Kansas to San Francisco, I was a little out of my element. Having such a great group of people around me, made for a much easier transition. I was very thankful.

I wish all the Pod Squader and all members of CCPM class of 83 the best!

David Laha

5. Dave:

Thanks for replying. We did have lots of fun and had some pretty good times running together during those youthful years.

For all of you out there, Dave was one of our fastest runners, was a five time Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference track and cross country champion and was inducted into the Kansas Wesleyan University Athletic Hall of Fame in 1997. I didn't stand a chance of beating Dave at anything under a 10K.

By the way, did you know that Kansas is the center of everything in the USA? Right Dave?:rolleyes:

I also heard from Bob Eckles and Paul Resignato and talked to Jane Denton on the phone yesterday. Hopefully they will send in some photos and comments also. I will try to find some more old photos of our events and post them up here.

6. #1: Mid Border to Border Run, June 1981, somewhere in Northern California....Steve Palladino passing the baton to future "Angry Podiatrist" with David Laha and Bruce DeBelle ready for the next leg of the relay.

#2: Pre-150 foot long, 39 person, 78 antennae CCPM Pod Squad Centipede organization prior to breaking World Centipede Length Record at May 1980 Bay to Breakers Race in San Francisco.