Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Diabetes Care Project

Discussion in 'Australia' started by toughspiders, Feb 16, 2012.

1. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Who has received a letter to be involved in the "diabetes care project" 3 year pilot. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it really is all about?

Ta

2. Ryan

Ryan Member

I have, and also feel still very much in the dark about what it is all REALLY about. It seems to me that it is a program encouraging you to use software enabling shared records or similar. However, I fail to find any information as to how this is going to take place and whether it is a casenote held by the GP which we can access or an alternative. The cynic in me feels it will create more administrative work rather than less.... but I will have to wait and see.

They also state that it will include funding for phone consults, longer consults and case conferences, which sounds great, but I am not sure how it will work.

Was the APODC consulted, was anyone involved in the development of the program who can shed some light?

Cheers

3. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

this is the Web Site http://www.healthfirst.org.au/site/index.cfm?display=66958
    And from what I read it is an attempt to "bundle" care. That is provide the participating GPs with a lump sum per patient for the case management of their diabetes. The GPs will then purchase the allied health services directly rather than using the "Medicare Plus" options.

4. Livjam

Livjam Welcome New Poster

Hi Ryan,
    Yes Stephen is right, the DCP proposes a new model of funding for diabetes care in general practice. The idea is that more complex clients or those with less than optimal diabetes management will receive more funding for allied health services compared with those who have less complex/ well-managed diabetes. Services previously not funded such as extended consults and case calls (case conferences) will be funded under the project. Pods won't have the benefit or funded phone calls though. The project is being run in Victoria, South Australia and Queensland and there will be information sessions held by the Medicare Local responsible for the regions involved for allied health providers, so there will be much more light shed then.
    Livjam

5. Livjam

Livjam Welcome New Poster

Sorry, that reply was also for toughspiders
    Livjam