Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Cordless nail drill

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by esky365, Feb 24, 2012.

1. esky365

esky365 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    After taking advice from this forum I purchased a dremel stylus drill. I liked it, I liked it a lot.

Regrettably it died today, and I am unable to find another from B&Q where it came from. Does anyone know if they are out of production?

Does anyone know of a similar alternative tool?

2. msschultz1230

msschultz1230 Welcome New Poster

We purchase our Dremels from Universal or Henry schein

3. JRB123

JRB123 Active Member

Canonbury offer both the cordless dremel drill and the corded one. Not sure if it is the stylus type but looks like they have a choice of several ones. They were very popular in Australia when I was out there.

4. esky365

esky365 Active Member

Thanks mssschultz I am in UK though. :)

Likewise thanks JRB I did check that one out in B&Q but it is a clumsy great lump of a thing, the Dremel stylus is quite a more elegant and maneuverable tool.

5. scalikeet

scalikeet Member

I have been using these for years and when one dies and you go to purchase another the new styles
    are out ! They still make the smaller style ones but the latest ones have ( bad description I know ) a secondary handle which gives you whole new toy to get used to !!

6. feetrus

feetrus Member

Hi,

I'm a Stylus fan too ......the downside is a] does not take a replacement battery and b] I contacted Dremel direct and the Stylus is [sadly] no longer made! As you stated other Dremels available but not as versatile in speed or style. The Stylus is still available from most footy suppliers, and you can buy it on Ebay from the USA.

I invested in two, and switch between the two........

Hope this helps......

7. JackieRamsay

JackieRamsay Active Member

I bought mine from Trycare. They have an on-line website or call them for a catalogue.

8. i-a-n

i-a-n Member

I daresay this won't be of help, but..... keep an eye open at your local Lidl, when it is available (maybe once a year for 3 or 4 days), they do a cracking drill along the Dremel lines (different shape) which has served me well for a few years now for £10. Yes, that's right £10.

9. esky365

esky365 Active Member

I finally bought a cordless dremel 8200 and added a cable drive. It is certainly not as mobile a tool as the stylus, in fact it is quite a clumsy thing really. However it has a much higher torque and the battery is separate so can be replaced if necessary.

In summary, you win some [torque] you lose some. [manouverability]

10. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

All,
    Cordless nail drills are all rubbish in my opinion.

They don't produce enough revs and, more importantly, there is no dust-extracting facility.

I value my lungs too much to use any drill without a dust-extractor.

regards

Catfoot

11. esky365

esky365 Active Member

You are mistaking revs for torque. High revs are meaningless without at least a reasonable amount of torque.

12. Catfoot

esk365

maybe - I am not technically minded.

What I do know is that cordless drills are unhealthy because (apart from the torqu/rev issue) they have no dust-extraction facility.
    If I have had a day with lots of og/ox/om nails to deal with I can still smell nail dust at 7.00.pm at night. And that is with a mask and dust extractor. Goodness alone knows what it would be like if I had neither of those.

There is now some research out that suggests that some mycotic nails shouldn't even be drilled - I will have a look for it, (unless someone can find it in the meantime.)

At the end of the day they are your lungs and you have to do your own risk assesment.

regards

Catfoot

13. Disgruntled pod

Disgruntled pod Active Member

Catfoot,

I received this from a someone who received it from a H&S expert in podiatry! there are some fungal nails which you should never drill, even with a mask and dust extraction, ONLY do nail surgery on!

Scopulariopsis

Scytalidium

Aspergillus

Fusarium

Acremonium (Cephalsporium)

Alternaria

Basically of they are inhaled they are difficult if not impiossible to treat therefore causing major lung problems?

Scopulariopsis is a large group comprised of a number of species commonly found in soil, decaying wood, and various other plant and animal products. In indoor environments Scopulariopsis is found on damp walls, cellulose board and wallpaper; wood; floor and mattress dust. Species of Scopulariopsis has also been isolated from carpets, hospital floors, swimming pools; wooden food packing, shoes and wood pulp. Scopulariopsis species are sometimes encountered growing on meat in storage.

A number of species of Scopulariopsis are of importance in the medical field, having been implicated in infection of nails. Many species of Scopulariopsis can liberate arsenic gas from substrates containing that element; this may be noticed as a garlic-like odour. In the past, there have been a few serious poisoning incidents

Aspergillus is a fungus whose spores are present in the air we breathe, but does not normally cause illness. However an individual with a weakened immune status may be susceptible to aspergillus infection.

Aspergillosis<http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/aspergillosisframeset.html> is a group of diseases which can result from aspergillus infection and includes invasive <http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/aspergillosisframeset.html> aspergillosis, ABPA<http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/abpaframeset.html>, CPA<http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/aspergillomaframeset.html> and aspergilloma<http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/aspergillomaframeset.html>. Some asthma patients with very severe asthma may also be sensitised to fungi like aspergillus (<http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/safsframeset.html>SAFS). <http://www.aspergillus.org.uk/safsframeset.html>

Alternaria- The spores are known to be prevalent sources of allergens in the atmosphere, generally causing symptoms associated with respiratory problems. Such symptoms include allergic rhinitis (hay fever), asthma, and hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Several studies have shown associations between Alternaria and severe asthma.

Fusarium infections are rare but devastating infections caused by this common fungus. It is more commonly known as a fungus that destroys crops. However, immunocompromised patients are increasingly at risk for contracting an infection

Although reported to be rare in our studies we have routinely come across these fungi on hands, airborne contaminants and on nail dust

14. Catfoot

Thanks DP,
    That was the info I was looking for

regards

catfoot

15. TKantola

TKantola Welcome New Poster

Hi.

Canonbury and Chiropody Express both sell cordless Dremel including spare battery pack.

I have considered purchasing this myself, just wasn't sure whether it would be worth a while. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone tell me if it takes the disposable burrs?

T