Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Short 1st Met

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Pigsney, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Pigsney

Pigsney Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Have client with pain on palpation of space between 3rd and 4th metatarsal on her right foot. She came to me with x-rays which were inconclusive of this, but did show that there was Degeneration in the 1st MPJ.

I will treat this pain between in the 3-4 mets as mortons neuroma with orthoses and met dome. However........ This middle aged lady has short 1st metatarsals bilat with 2-3rd stage HAV. Should I prescribe the orthoses with a Morton's extensions? I haven't used them before, is this just an extension of the Polypropolene? Can it be added later?

Are Morton's extensions used much by Podiatrists? Any evidence to support their usage with short 1st met?

Also: Her 1st MPJ's were very mobile/hyperbobile.
    Quite a lot of movement in MTJ with abducted foot in gait and mid foot pronation.

Thanks

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Pigs:

You would get better therapeutic results in treating her Morton's neuroma with an orthosis with a metatarsal pad that is accompanied by your insistence that she also change to shoes that fit her foot properly and don't push laterally on her bunion bump during weightbearing activities. In other words, her short first metatarsal is not causing her neuroma pain but her tight shoes are....at least that would be my guess.

And what causes her tight shoes and, in turn, her neuroma pain??.....her bunions and western civilization's standard that women must have smaller, more pointy-toed shoes in order to appear fashionable.

On a similar note.....ever had a female patient insist that their shoes are not too tight only to find that when you examine them in their shoes that they are a full size too small and three widths too narrow??? It happens at least 3-4 times a week in my practice. Lesson to be learned??...never believe a patient that their shoes are not too tight until you have examined them yourself!