Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Foot Care Nurses

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PowerPodiatry, Jun 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. PowerPodiatry

PowerPodiatry Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just entered the world of bureaucratic pain by accepting a job to start the Podiatry service for a Large Non for Profit community aged care provider.

Currently foot care is provided by Nurses with no additional training...this stresses some of them. They restrict treatment to nail debridement.

My concern is that they use non sterile clippers on patients with obvious compromised immune systems since they regularly deal with elderly and patients undergoing Chemo.

They believe since each patient is given there own set of clippers to be kept on site and that they are swabbing them with alcohol swabs prior to use that they are meeting adequate standards.

Questions: Are they meeting standards for the provision of Foot care in a community setting.

The only documentation that I have been able to support my claim that they are not meeting standards is a podiatry document that states if the instrument "May penetrate intact tissue it should be sterile prior to use".

Any guidelines from other community services that you can point me to would be appreciated.

They are setting me up very nicely re: autoclave, podiatry chair etc with only a bit of head bashing with the nurses regarding turf war but my concern is that they wish me to upskill the RN's using non sterile instruments.

I'm going well with only 1 official reprimand within the first 3 wks:boxing:

2. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

what you are doing is filth breaks all the professional rules and regs but not for profit organisations are not regulated so do not have to follow the rules. single use instruments are just that singe use not single patient for the next 30 years. but its cheap so they can make lots of profit to pay their large directors salaries and bonuses. If they dont get u to do it they will get some other judas to sell his soul for a few pieces of silver. read your minimum standards of sterilisation im sure it does not condone using dirty contaminated instruments.anyway in these difficult times a job is a job bugger the morals.

3. podesh

podesh Active Member

Hi Colin

In NSW to be able to cut nails the RN, EN or AIN have to complete a footcare course, usually one or two days and of course follow infection control regulations. In the nursing homes that I've looked after, they have complied with these rules too.

I would contact the nursing association and see what they say, but sounds like quite shoddy practice. Goodluck...
    Cheers
    Esher

4. Jvm620

Jvm620 Member

Hi if they are setting you up with an autoclave why can't the nippers be sterilised & then the nurses can continue with basic footcare with a bit of extra supervision from you? They are professionally trained nurses - are we not talking about basic care that a patient would do for themselves if they could? You could set up some training - or maybe there is something already up & running that they could do?

5. wjraffle

wjraffle Welcome New Poster

Im not able to find any guidelines for Nurses with regards to general nail care, however it appears a very risky practise. Sterilised instruments provide an extra cover and to avoid/reduce risk of infection. If instrument purchase is the issue possible autoclave purchase or disposable instruments may be the way to go.

if in doubt possible use the ApodC guideline as a reference to determine best practise to use http://www.briggatemedical.com/pdfs/APODC_Infection_Control.pdf

6. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

There are Australian Standards on office based sterilization.
    All registered health professionals should be following them, including podiatrists and nurses. They should give you guidence on the reuse of instruments on the same patient. Also check out the processes nursing homes use for finger nails.

7. Warts

Warts Member

Hi Colin
    I did teach the basic foot care course in Sydney, about 10 years ago (I know I should be ashamed!!!).
    It did stipulate then, that sterilization of instruements had to adhere to the Podiatry standard of code of practice with cleaning, sterilization and calibration!

EDUCATION, EDUCATION,EDUCATION!!!!
    Gently- hard not to trend on toes, I KNOW!!!!!!
    Good Luck

8. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

The NSW Nurses' Association
    PO Box 40, Camperdown NSW 1450
    Phone 1300 367 962
    www.nswnurses.asn.au
    Page 1
    Guidelines on Provision of Basic Foot Care by Nurses
    Re-endorsed by Annual Conference 2008
    These guidelines should be read in copnjunction with the Australian Podiatry Association’s (NSW)
    Guidelines for the Provision of basic foot care by providers other than registered podiatrists
    Basic foot care is the routine care of normal skin and nails of the feet. It includes cleaning
    of feet, cutting and filing of non-pathological toenails and application of moisturisers.
    The provision of basic foot care is a normal activity of daily living, essential to the
    maintenance of healthy, functioning feet. There will be occasions when individuals, due to
    acquired illness or physical limitations, will be restricted in their ability to fulfil functions
    normal to their daily life, including basic foot care. All nurses have a professional
    responsibility when providing assistance with activities of daily living to include attention to
    a person’s feet.
    It is important that foot care services offered to the community meet both legislative and
    other prescribed requirements to ensure a high standard of safe, quality care is delivered
    to the public. The NSW Podiatrists Act 2003 (and Regulations) and the NSW Public
    Health Act 1991, Section 10AH permit the provision of basic foot care by podiatrists,
    nurses, podiatry assistants, specified health care workers, independent foot care
    providers, beauticians and pedicurists.
    All providers of basic foot care must ensure that they work within the scope of their
    respective qualifications, training and experience.
    There is a clear boundary between the provision of basic foot care and the practice of
    podiatry. While podiatrists may offer basic foot care and podiatry services, nurses are
    generally involved in the provision of basic foot care. Registered nurses, enrolled nurses
    and assistants in nursing may provide basic foot care where they are employed by a
    hospital, nursing home or community health centre and provide the care as part of their
    normal duties in that employment. In accordance with Section 10AH of the NSW Public
    Health Act 1991, only registered nurses may, in the course of providing a foot care
    service, provide treatment to a person who has a medical condition causing inadequate
    blood circulation to their feet or peripheral neuropathy affecting their feet.
    Policies and protocols consistent with the NSW Podiatrists Act 2003 and Regulations
    should be developed at the local level in consultation with podiatrists nominated by the
    Australian Podiatry Association (NSW). These policies and protocols should be endorsed
    in writing by the employing facility and address the normal nursing process of assessment,
    planning, implementation and evaluation, as well as mechanisms for referral to a podiatrist
    or a medical practitioner if any abnormalities are detected.
    The NSW Nurses' Association
    PO Box 40, Camperdown NSW 1450
    Phone 1300 367 962
    www.nswnurses.asn.au
    Page 2
    All care given should be appropriately documented. Basic foot care must also be provided
    within the requirements of infection control practice and legislation. Regular in-service
    education in basic foot care should be provided by the employing facility.

9. PowerPodiatry

PowerPodiatry Active Member

Well we are all on the same page and I have the management looking into procedures and protocols.

There is light at the end of the tunnel:santa: