Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Use of EZ Phenol Swabs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Stephen Moore, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Stephen Moore

Stephen Moore Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Colleagues, I would be very interested to hear of peoples experiences of using these swabs for nail surgery. With the potential for difficulty in accessing liquid phenol in the future, we are exploring the option of changing our practice and using these swabs instead.

How many people are using them? What have your clinical results been like when compared to your previous results using liquid phenol straight from the bottle etc.? Have you experienced any problems?

Regards

Stephen Moore
    Head of Podiatry
    NHS western Isles

2. lgs

lgs Active Member

EZ swabs

Hi Stephen

we are in the process of introducing them now they have a CE mark. Did your department use them in the end?

kind regards

lgs

3. Stephen Moore

Stephen Moore Member

EZ Phenol Swabs

We didn't introduced the swabs, shortly after posting to the web site there were difficulties with ordering the swabs without CE mark. Fortunately we have not had problems securing phenol. However, now the product is CE marked they might be worth another look.

Regards

Stephen

4. lgs

lgs Active Member

EZ Swabs

We hope to have them in place in the next few weeks, I shall report back :)

5. nicpod1

nicpod1 Active Member

Stephen,

We have been using them for almost a year now.

Advantages:

1) Reduced possiblity of phenol spill.
    2) Reproducible amounts of phenol applied to each patient
    3) Easy to use

Disadvantages:

1) One batch of swabs were inadequately filled with phenol (this hasn't happened again)
    2) Clinicians were intially resistant to their use as there is so little phenol in a properly filled swab, they thought that it wouldn't be enough to work. The guidance is that one swab is used per procedure site (3 min application), but some research suggested that even 2 mins might be enough. As a result, we are applying a different swab every 1 min (3 swabs per procedure site). This is mainly to qualm practitioners, especially when we were dealing with the dodgy batch.
    3) We are going to be auditing our nail surgery re-growth rates again soon and if they are OK, I'll try to encourage the use of fewer swabs!

Therefore, the main obstacle appears to be psychological in the absence of better guidance based on clinical experience.

At the same time, we also went over to tornicots and these have now been accepted and are working much better than Esmarch / elastonet, but, again, some practitioners were initially resistant. However, a bloodless field (and, therefore, better phenol action) is being acheived much more consistently!

In short, I would recommend the swabs, but you'll probably have to take a pragmatic approach to introducing them!

Hope this helps!

6. pd6crai

pd6crai Active Member

Stephen, I know private practitioners that use the EZ swabs and didn't find them that beneficial and the no of regrowths were quite alot. We use phenol crystals, and have discovered that the regrowths have reduced in comparison to using the liquid. They are easy to use and they liquify once in contact with skin. Mobilis sell these, they are worth trying!!!!

7. Anne McLean

Anne McLean Active Member

Hi All,

I find that using EZ Swabs results in higher numbers of cases of nail regrowth following procedures compared to using liquified Phenol, this despite using them in tandem with Tournicots at all times.

There is the problem that a single sized swab doesn't suit on all occasions. I feel that we could also do with more Phenol on the swab.

The other drawback is that there is a huge difference in price between using these and using Phenol.

Kind Regards,

Anne