Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags:

Botox for the treatment of claw/hammer toes

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 4th July 2012, 03:24 AM

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default Botox for the treatment of claw/hammer toes

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Hello everyone,

Lately I have been hearing that botox can be used for the treatment of claw toes or hammer toes and i would like to know if there is any study regarding this matter.
Does anyone know something about it?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 4th July 2012, 07:45 AM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:
Default Re: Botox for the treatment of claw/hammer toes

There are no studies on it.

There are several on its use for hyperihidrosis and heel pain, etc. See the other botox threads
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Old 4th July 2012, 08:40 AM

About:

And even whitout studies is there anyone using this method?
Old 4th July 2012, 09:43 AM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Thanked 1,064 Times in 774 Posts

Lets think this one through...

If there is structural changes at the interphalangeal joints, it won't work.
If you inject into flexor digitorum brevis and or/ flexor digitorum longus and "block" them with botox, you're going to get a muscle imbalance (effectively an overpull) with the long and short digital extensors.
If you knock out flexor digitorum brevis, you'll lose one of the MTPJ plantarflexors/ arch stiffness modulators= other muscles with this role have to work harder.... plantar fasciitis etc?
If you block flexor digitorum longus, you'll lose one of the ankle plantarflexors/ MTPJ plantarflexors / arch stiffness modulators, other muscles with this role have to work harder..... achilles tendonopathy etc?
You'll need repeat injections every 3-4 months.

Any more...?

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Old 4th July 2012, 12:21 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñaki View Post
Hello everyone,

Lately I have been hearing that botox can be used for the treatment of claw toes or hammer toes and i would like to know if there is any study regarding this matter.

Many thanks
One of my pts had a course of botox therapy for limb dystonia, following stroke, at the Royal Leamington Spa Rehabilitation Hospital `botulinum toxin clinic`. There was slight improvement observed his fixed extended toes, but as Simon pointed out, the benefits were short lived and treatment was discontinued.

You might find this of interest; Botulinum toxin for treatment of dystonia
Old 4th July 2012, 01:07 PM

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñaki View Post
Hello everyone,

Many thanks

These studies may be of interest to you.

Gaber, T. A. Z. K., Basu, B., Shakespeare, D., Singh, R., Salam, S., & McFarlane, J. (2011). Botulinum Toxin in the management of hitchhiker's toe. NeuroRehabilitation, 28(4), 395-399.

Lee, J. H., Han, S. H., Ye, J. F., Lee, B. N., An, X., & Kwon, S. O. (2012). Effective zone of botulinum toxin a injections in hallux claw toe syndrome: An anatomical study. Muscle & Nerve, 45(2), 217-221. doi: 10.1002/mus.22263

Lim, E. C. H., Ong, B. K. C., & Seet, R. C. S. (2006). Botulinum toxin-A injections for spastic toe clawing. Parkinsonism &amp; Related Disorders, 12(1), 43-47. doi: 10.1016/j.parkreldis.2005.06.008

Mitchell, P. D., Tisdall, M., & Zadeh, H. G. (2004). Selective botulinum toxin injection in the treatment of recurrent deformity following surgical correction of club foot. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, 75(5), 630-633.

Radovic, P. A., & Shah, E. (2008). Nonsurgical treatment for hallux abducto valgus with botulinum toxin A. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, 98(1), 61-65.

Mischa
The Following User Says Thank You to MischaK For This Useful Post:
Jose Antonio Teatino (9th July 2012)