Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Slow motion videos from the US Olympic trials

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by Craig Payne, Jul 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    In the chi running thread there was some links to the foot strike pattern of the 10K at the US Olympic Trials.

Here are some slow motion videos from the US Olympic trials:

Womens 1500m:

Mens 5000m

Womens 5000m

Mens 1500m

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  2. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Thanks Craig for finding/posting these... you do need videos to effectively convey the topic.

3. musmed

musmed Active Member

Dear Craig
    you tell me where you are and ask where I am on your footnote:
    I am in the same place as you and everything else in the universe!
    That is at the centre of the universe.
    Happy thinking
    Regards
    Sunny south coast but wintery
    Paul Conneely
    www.musmed.com.au

4. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

These videos show good footage of elite runner's biomechanics - yes, also good footage of foot strike patterns as well. It was taken during the 2012 U.S Olympic Trials.

The first is during the woman's 5 000m - at lap 10 (hence near the finish)...

Putting aside foot strike patterns (i.e. midfoot vs. heel)... it certainly helps highlight the degree of force/velocity the lower limb must endure... particularly when assessing the leader of the second pack (in the blue & silver spikes - starting at about 24 sec. into footage).

The second is during the men's 10 000m - at lap 8. This footage is from the side; I feel it would have been better if the footage was taken from the same angle as the woman's 5000m footage.

It would appear going by the name of the YouTube profile who uploaded the above videos ("biomechiain") that it could be the same person (i.e. Iain Hunter) who gave us the foot strike photos posted in the "Rearfoot vs. Midfoot vs. Forefoot Striking Running: Which is Best?" thread i.e. this post at 65 of the men's 10 000m - http://biomechanics.byu.edu/footstrikesmens10k.jpg
    Hence the white Nike spikes in the lead in the above video footage looks to be those of Galen Rupp (Olympic 10 000m silver medallist) going by the above photo (finish time of 27:25.3).

There was the woman's 10 000m foot strike photo here - http://biomechanics.byu.edu/footstrikeswomens10k.jpg (yet this doesn't correlate to the video footage of the women's 5 000m).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016