Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tags: ,

'Dorsi Technology' Running Shoes (?Toning shoes)

Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread

Old 18th July 2012, 03:27 PM
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything

About:
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Default 'Dorsi Technology' Running Shoes (?Toning shoes)

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
What do you think?
http://www.springboost.com/en/

Quote:
Biomechanical experts have uncovered the effects of the foot inclination on performance, training and health and have demonstrated positive results when the foot is placed in dorsiflexion position.

Studies have shown that the condition of dorsiflexion provides for an increase of energy storage, increased muscle fiber recruitment and an optimal muscle fiber pennation angle leading to improved power during calf muscles exercises, running and jumping activities.
http://www.springboost.com/en/dorsif...mechanics.html
Quote:
BENEFITS
Training
More muscle fibers recruited
Greater range of motion
Stabilization of core muscles
Work the entire muscle chain

Sport Specific Products: Nordic Walking - Fitness - Performance Training

Performance
Increase in explosive power
Gain in vertical leap
Gain in speed
More efficient energy consumption

Sport Specific Products: Volleyball - Running - Basketball

Health
Improved posture
Better blood circulation
Greater ankle stability
Work of the entire muscle chain

Sport Specific Products: Fitness - Training - Nordic Walking
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Payne For This Useful Post:
BEN-HUR (18th July 2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 18th July 2012, 08:51 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Default Re: 'Dorsi Technology' Running Shoes (?Toning shoes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Payne View Post
Wow - the Swiss have done it again (i.e. MBT is Swiss also) with another (albeit, not new) shoe concept. Earth shoes have a similar i.e. negative heel concept. In fact Earth (Danish) has some Swiss connections also.

This "Springboost" shoe range does look interesting. This apparent "DORSI Technology"; not to be confused with Earth's - "Negative Heel Technology" (a lot of technology going round ) seems to work off the concept of heel striking (as seen here)... from what I can make out.

It doesn't appear that "Springboost" is marketing a running shoe (???).

Anyway, so we have the traditional training shoe with its 12mm heel-forefoot differential (HHD) - hence the foot functioning in a relative plantarflexed position. We have now the "Springboost" range with a negative heel - now with "Dorsiflexion Technology" via the following concept...
Quote:
Scientific studies have shown that muscle fiber recruitment changes with different degrees of dorsiflexion. We have developed the U-Control Insole System™ - an interchangeable set of insoles that empowers the user to adapt the degree of dorsiflexion to:

- Their anatomic characteristics (flexibility of their joints)

- Their physical condition

- The intensity of training desired to reach objectives faster
Haven't as yet discovered the degree of dorsiflexion used above.

Then we have my position of a plantigrade/zero drop/flat running shoe (although I don't claim this idea as my own ) - come to think about it, maybe I could develop a shoe with... "Plantigrade Technology" . Being apparently the middle of the road I could be quite successful with it (along with my profound logic behind the "technology").

Just thinking about it, one has to wonder how these above concepts affects the STJ role/function - just to name one varying aspect between these diverse concepts. Does anybody else wonder how/why we can be in a position where there is apparent support for the benefits of such a range i.e. elevated HHD to negative HHD. Is there an optimal answer here or are we to confuse the Central Nervous System on a continual basis.

One could be excused for asking an apparent naughty question - which is more... "NATURAL" ... heel elevated, forefoot elevated... or maybe placed in a position not conflicting with the primordial anatomical design. Anyway, who am I (& for that matter, anybody else... except maybe the Designer of the lower limb) to say what is "natural" in this area. Being "natural" is a rather airy fairy ambiguous term, maybe we should be asking/researching what is more biomechanically efficient for the intended activity or the intended objectives. Or maybe we should just allow the physiology of the foot/lower limb to do the talking here... just accommodate for its protection whilst eliminating the potential for (adverse) influence - just a thought.

Anyhow, all very interesting & something to think about... & further confuse the general public as to what they should be wearing on their feet .

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift": Steve Prefontaine.
Old 18th July 2012, 11:39 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Thanked 1,023 Times in 753 Posts

Achilles tenon injury, here they come.

Regarding heel elevated, forefoot elevated, natural etc. A three word question: variation in terrain?

Say we have a shoe which due to the heel height differential plantarflexes the foot by 5 degrees and then we walk / run up a 5 degree incline? etc.

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Old 19th July 2012, 10:00 PM
Podiatry Arena Veteran

About:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spooner View Post
Regarding heel elevated, forefoot elevated, natural etc. A three word question: variation in terrain?

Say we have a shoe which due to the heel height differential plantarflexes the foot by 5 degrees and then we walk / run up a 5 degree incline? etc.
"Variation in terrain" - this is true Simon (or do you prefer to be called Dr Spooner?... or Spooner... or Spoony). Anyway, it's all relative... because if we take this logic further (to use your example)... "the heel height differential plantarflexes the foot by 5 degrees and then we walk / run" down "a 5 degree incline" the shoe then exacerbates the plantarflexion condition further to potentially to end ROM... compensation kicks in & we then have the potential for other problems (stressors/forces). However, the majority of the time we humans are functioning on a relatively level surface, hence the nature of the base of the footwear will be influencing the body posture the majority of the time... same principles would also apply to those orthotics we sometimes prescribe as well (i.e. influences by the variation in terrain [saggital & frontal plane]/nature of base of shoe).

This I feel is yet another reason for flat/zero HHD to be now seriously considered across the board. Fat chance I know for women’s fashion shoes - but hey, what can you do... the heels?.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift": Steve Prefontaine.