Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Confused re diagnosis of PAD vs Peripheral Neuropathy

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by newbee, Sep 4, 2012.

1. newbee

newbee Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    hello,

i have just joined a new clinic that has a lot of high risk clients. i am confused about differentiating between diagnosis of PAD or Peripheral Neuropathy as the symptoms are similar making it hard for me to give a definate diagnosis.
    can any one give me advice in differiencing between both conditions or journals to read that will reduce my anxiety assessing patients.

thank you all for any help you can give me

Helen

new graduate

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. mburton

mburton Active Member

4. gnitram900

gnitram900 Active Member

Hi Helen,
    There are a lot of research papers available on the net, a good place to start to help answer your questions, would be:

AND THE DIABETIC FOOT

and
    ASSESSING THE VASCULAR
    PATIENTS WITH DIABETES
    It is said that 50% of diabetic foot ulcers are classified as neuroischaemic, meaning that it is likely that even in early stage disease you will see changes in the feet, which are influenced by both etiologies.
    The full version to the mburton's pain questionnaire is here .
    Hope this is helpful.

5. JaY

JaY Active Member

Often in longstanding diabetes, there is a significant overlap of these two conditions; however the two are easily distinguished from another with practice!

It is a definite good idea to review your journal articles in order to wrap your head around their respective definitions.

Clues regarding PAD:
    * the temperature gradient from the knees down to the toes is noticeably colder towards the feet and toes.
    * look for mottled discolouration, lack of hair growth, thin shiny skin, thickened toenails
    * enquire about intermittent claudication
    * conduct ABPI (note the false positives with diabetic calcification)

Clues for Peripheral Neuropathy:
    * the patient uses words like "numb, tingly, tight-sock sensation, burning"
    * note the profession of the disease i.e usually starts in one or two toes of one foot, but gradually moves to the other foot and gradually moves proximal up the leg
    * anhidrotic skin in the case of autonimic neuropathy
    * conduct protective pressure sensation and vibratory sensation

The "pain/discomfort" of PAD is generally felt when the patient is active (besides REST PAIN, which is felt even at rest!); while the "pain/discomfort" of PN is generally felt when the patient is at rest.

Hope this helps Helen :empathy: