Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Last Orders

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Mark Russell, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have just finished an adaptation of a radio play that I wrote about 15 years ago into a novel (yes, I know it's usually the other way round, but I like to be different!), which I have set in a English seaside town. The story revolves around three elderly ladies who are living out their final days in a small boarding/rest-home, accompanied by the usual unpleasantries that are associated with their time of life - early dementia, vascular ulcers, cancer, COPD & etc. Their outlook is brightened a little with the arrival of a young girl from eastern Europe, who, after listening to their plight, informs the residents that she has an elixir, which if taken, will restore them to twenty-one years of age next time they fall asleep. But - and there is always a "but" - the next time they fall asleep after their rejuvination, they will age rapidly and die peacefully without awakening. They have a second chance to enjoy life as a 21 year old - but this time in 2012.

I won't spoil the story, but I would very much like to hear what you would do if, facing the same scenario, you were minded to take the elixir. How would you spend your final 24 hours - assuming you were 21 years old again?

Looking forward to some interesting answers! ;)

2. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

I'd probably spend 7-8 hours reading the barefoot running thread;)

3. I would spend my last 24 hours reading about Functional Foot Typing, Rothbart's Foot and the Bottom Block Theory. Death would be a relief after that.:rolleyes:

4. You'd both spend it on the Internet??? I asked the same question to a married couple in their 70's the other week - a baptist minister and his wife of 50 years. The wife - a quiet, devoted lady - was in my room first, pondered the question for a moment and checked to see if my door was properly closed before answering, "I'd have sex all day long, but not" gesturing towards the waiting room "with him!"

Took me a few minutes to regain my composure!

5. blinda

blinda MVP

Been pondering this one. D`you know what? I would do exactly the same as I did 20 years ago (when I was 21): Enjoy life, friends and most of all my first child Jessica, who was 5 months old at the time. Appreciate what you have and keep communicating, that`s the key. No regrets.

I would like a place I could call my own
    Have a conversation on the telephone
    Wake up every day that would be a start
    I would not complain of my wounded heart
    - `Regrets`, New Order

6. I know where those lyrics came from. Used to play/sing this number when I was in New Orleans - think it was a Louis Armstrong number and was covered by Eric Clapton...Probably not PC these days!

I want a little girl, just to call my own
    Someone I could talk to on the telephone
    I wanna little girl, just to fall in love with me...

And she don't have to wave her hair
    Or even wear fancy clothes, I wouldn't even care
    She don't wear those see through nylon hose, ohh

I want a little girl to love a lot
    You know that I'd give her everything I got
    I want a little girl, just to fall in love with me

I guess that would be pretty much what most ordinary folk would do Bel - me included. But my characters are not that ordinary! When I wrote it originally, I wanted to highlight two things really - the first was that many older people really wished they could be younger again - "I wish I was your age again, son" - was a familier refrain (not so much these days!) and I wanted to show that things couldn't be the same. This is a different age and a different generation and although they were rejuvinated, they didn't go back in time to their own generation - which was a great disappointment, initially! The other aspect was for the younger generation who tend to pigeon-hole older people and don't really think that in every older person, there is a mischevious youth trying to escape. I have a notice on my study door that reads - "Boys will be boys - and so will a lot of middle age men"!

7. blinda

blinda MVP

I've been called a lot of things in the past, but never 'ordinary'.

8. Blinda's sassy, not ordinary.;)

9. My mistake - should've been prefixed with an 'extra' bit!