Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Raised wound edge maceration debridement

Discussion in 'Diabetic Foot & Wound Management' started by Wiebke, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Wiebke

Wiebke Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    If anyone could direct me to an evidence-based source or feedback their understanding on the viability of macerated skin on wound border edge. I haven't been able to find the info online. Question has arisen as one clinician advised not to debride surrounding macerated tissue on raised border edge as macerated tissue will recover, another clinician is debriding. Ideally would be looking for article or book reference although expertise with reasoning much appreciated. Thank you.

Am looking for a general answer. I am not talking about callus or a specific case or prevention of maceration through change in wound dressings to increase absorption of exudate.

2. davsur08

davsur08 Active Member

Wiebke,
    Macerated edges are seen due to increased exudate as the tissues get over hydrated.
    does it need to be debrided? depends if the ulcer edges are attached to the wound base. if it is lifted off the base i would debride it. but the problem rarely ends there if we cannot identify the sourse of the hydration. is it venous pooling? or is there a leakage of synovial fluid. Compression can manage venous pooling but wont be able to do much if there is a synovial fluid leakage.

sorry to include more than you asked, but to say debride or not depends on the source of hydration.

Hope this helps

3. Wiebke

Wiebke Member

Thank you for the comprehensive response David. All made perfect sense and I will take this on board. I did think of removing this question as there are so many different textures macerated skin can have which will influence the clinician's decision making.

Kind Regards

Wiebke