Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Help with rigid, fixed ankle

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by kemplr, Dec 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kemplr

kemplr Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,

I am hoping for some advice on an 83 year old gentleman I am seeing. He has bilateral 'collapsed' ankles. Both are fixed in a valgus/everted position with no movement in any direction. There is no weightbearing on the lateral forefoot and lateral digits.

The patient is a little vague and unsure how long they have been like this. He complains of pain but cannot describe the quality of pain. He denies numbness, pins and needles, shooting pain or tingling pain. The doctors (he is currently an inpatient) have diagnosed him with painful peripheral neuropathy. Currently has no sensation to 5.07 monofilament and reduced reflexes. Has not been for a nerve conduction study and they are not likely to refer him for one. I have tried opsite tape and stockings to see if that reduces any neuropathic pain.

He is currently wearing an extra depth/width orthopaedic shoe with off the shelf vasylis - not sure who issued these or when. However I think they are causing extensive blistering to the medial border of the foot and I have since removed the orthotics.

I have tried palpating the post tib tendon but the patient describes his pain 'just around the ankle'. The doctors are reluctant to send him for scans as they feel that it won't change his management and he has too many other co-morbidities. I don't think he would be suitable for calipers as he is too weak/frail.

Is there anything else I could do for this gent?

Cheers, Lauren

2. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Sounds like end stage PT dysfunction.

Weaight bearing x-rays will be helpful to establish how much secondary OA is present.

If it is a fixed rigid deformity, then accomodate the position with an orthosis or Richie brace.

LL

3. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Total Contact Orthosis, to cradle, not correct and an ankle boot(not pull on) with rocker toe and S.A.C.H

This should be an easy concept for him to come to terms with and easy enough to don whilst giving cushioned/firm support.

Cushioned = T.C.O & S.A.C.H
    Firm support = Rigid sole, firm heel counter

4. kemplr

kemplr Member

Thanks LL and Boots. I was leaning towards end stage PTTD but my colleague felt it could be peroneal spastic flatfoot/tarsal coalition but obviously can not tell unless we had scans. The doctors are reluctant to scan as they feel that this would not change to outcome.

I have never heard of a S.A.C.H heel modification but just checked it out and it looks like it would be beneficial. I will refer him to the orthotics/prosthetics department at the nearest tertiary hospital.

Many Thanks for your advice.

Cheers, Lauren

5. Lucy Best

Lucy Best Member

I am an orthotist and agree with both suggestions. It would depend on how much walking/weight bearing this gentleman is doing and how much intervention he could tolerate. The boots with SACH heel and AFO can also be combined.

6. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member