Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp v2.0 - Australia; 2013

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Craig Payne, Feb 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am doing another round of Boot Camps in Australia. This time they are mostly Boot Camps 2.0, which is a follow on version from the previous Boot Camps. v2.0 is only one day and has a whole lot of new topics to cover. (version 1.0 will still be done from time to time and there is a v1.5 that is a two day combination of the v1.0 and v2.0 - the one in Perth is v1.5).

Dates and cities:
    Apr 6 Sydney (v2.0)
    Apr 20 Brisbane (v2.0)
    Apr 27 Melbourne (v2.0)
    May 4-5 Perth (v1.5)
    May 11 Adelaide (v2.0)
    {Jun 1 Christchurch; NZ (v2.0)}
    Jul 13 Canberra (v2.0)

I will finalise venues closer to time when have clearer indication of numbers for each venue, so please register early.

Topics to be covered in v2.0:
    • Short or long term use of foot orthotics?
    • Deconstruction all the social media crap on foot orthotics and running form
    • Why do overuse injuries occur?
    • SAID – Specific adaptation to imposed demand
    • Lower the force or increase the ability of the tissue to take the force?
    • How to increase the ability of tissues to take the force
    • How to spot cherry picking, confirmations bias and the usual trope of argumentative fallacies
    • Toning Shoes
    • Whats more important: Proximal or distal control of the lower limb?
    • Minimalism vs Maximalism
    • Tabulation of foot orthotic design features for prescription variables
    • When to run which way; deciding which running ‘form’ is better for which individual
    • Making clinical decisions in the context of all the online and media driven rhetoric and propaganda
    • Running shoes, foot orthotics and their effects on muscle strength
    • Advising runners and facilitating the transition to different running forms
    • Increased understanding of the role of fascia in foot biomechanics
    • Trends vs Fads; the gullibility of the athletic market
    • The running shoes and knee osteoarthritis debacle
    • The ideamotor scam
    • What role do impact forces really play in injury?
    • "I read on a blog orthotics are evil and should be banned"
    • Which injuries are more common in which running form or technique?
    • Why do people believe in weird things?
    • What to do in the absence of evidence
    • Solving the problem of which running shoe prescription when

Version 1.5 (2 days in Perth) will be a combination of the above and the previous content.

Register here

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  2. Looks good, Craig. Any UK dates planned?

3. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

That's quite a list - an impressive one... an interesting one indeed... a heavy 1 day!

The list looks to be very much running orientated (that'll be interesting - particularly if you’re a runner ;)... & even if not). Besides running is the core of most sports & subsequently could be seen of biomechanics.

The list also reveals possible influencing topics resulting from the counter argument barefoot debate/debacle (I hope I worded that appropriately). Despite a lot of rubbish we Podiatrists have had to wade through & subsequently the time taken to address, the (barefoot) experience has certainly encouraged us (amongst other things) to educate a wide scope of lay people (i.e. exposing untruths & blatant lies from those with an agenda); to ask further questions, expand views & answers, maybe reassess our position on some areas... & subsequently further substantiate our role in sports medicine as biomechanical & lower limb authorities.

Out of all the questions asked above, I am intrigued by the... "Why do people believe in weird things?" question... sounds interesting & on the surface out of character of the others (albeit, I can probably guess the connection i.e. related to Payne's 1st law?). Any hints/teasers to this fascinating question?

All the best for the series.

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Will have some soon. Later in the year. I have UK commitments to BPOA in March and Langer Summer School in June, so will be .... maybe Aug/Sept (depends what else is on)

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    That is deliberate for a couple of reasons. One, so much is happening at a very rapid pace and its hard to keep on top of. There is not only a lot happening with research, but also the interpretation and BS about that research and the pseudoscience in blogs and on social media; I only just manage to stay on top of it all; how is the average clinician supposed to manage? (let alone be aware of what is actually happening!)

Secondly, its a good way to illustrate the issues that can be applied to many other area of clinical practice (and life in general). For example, as Thompson noted, "we are experiencing a pandemic of counterknowledge, that is misinformation packaged to look like fact, but that is demonstrably false". So 'running' is used to develop the skills and techniques to deconstruct all the nonsense and address the issues. ie develop your own 'bull****' detection monitor'

I want to answer questions like, who do people believe an anonymous blogger with no clinical experience over an experienced clinician; why to some people describe McDougal's book, Born to Run as 'life changing' and others see it as a work of fiction fill of manipulation and misreporting of pseudosceince and wonder why so many are gullible enough to fall for it; why did the barefoot community lie about running shoes causing knee osteoarthritis; etc. We have to treat patients with these beliefs - how do you deal with this in clinical practice is part of the aim of Boot Camp v2.0
    See this thread: Why do people believe weird things. It draws heavily on the books I mention there. While what is happening in the running community will be used to illustrate the concepts, the skills can be much more widely applied and hopefully make better clinicians.
    Ironically, this law is almost 20 yrs old! It predates all the topics I am discussing! Some of us have been at this for a long time and have seen it all before!

Lots of practical topics are also mixed in there.

6. Zac

Zac Active Member

v2 sounds great Craig. Will v1 be offered at all this year, anywhere?

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    The one in Perth is a 1.5 (which combines 1.0 and 2.0); there will be a 1.5 or 1.0 in Melbourne - doing it for an organization, but will open it up to anyone - just not finalised it yet.

8. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Good point Craig; this is why courses such as this (& this forum) are important. I really do struggle to keep afloat of the amount of views/information (& subsequent misinformation) in areas I have much interest & passion for (i.e. being a runner, a Podiatrist... with associated topics also touching on another controversial area of interest at times - i.e. Origins). This makes the scenario more daunting & frustrating as I do have this tendency to feel compelled to comment on views/information which are not evidence based (do not stack up against empirical science)... or feel compelled to provide an alternative perspective (rarely expressed) on which I feel better fits the evidence/data/observations we can analyze. Then I need to run my own clinic, fit in some training & get some sleep (just not enough time :mad:).

I do resonate with the above (Dr) Damian Thompson quote. It makes me wonder that this degree of "counterknowledge" is part of a conspiracy theory in itself :rolleyes: (which Dr Thompson would no doubt have views on being his interest in such areas). Developing one's own "'bull****' detection monitor'" is fine... providing one's programming is adequate (i.e. not influenced by... one's prior beliefs, biases, world view... subjectivity). There is a quote in that cited Psyblog page which addresses this issue...
    Thus the potential of reaffirming one’s prior views/beliefs (& subsequent confidence in them) & thus potentially influencing one's “BS monitor”.

Craig, I really do resonate with a lot with what you write... & the passion you have in endeavouring to uphold truth & expose the... well, let's be frank (as you have) - the BS (& it is an appropriate term)... & boy, is it rife... & I think it's growing, it's evolving (pun?) if you will... & the internet has been its greatest medium. That said (having similar views & sentiments), there may be other areas of contention we may have - yet we may have different perspectives on i.e. the pseudoscience in McDougal's book (of which I certainly agree exists), in particular the views that Prof. Lieberman expresses (you can probably guess which part). This brings me to the next point... I do see some potential irony in some above points/quotes (from a certain perspective) as well as the following (based on one particular perspective I share which has been alluded to in the following cited thread i.e. Dr Shermer's history/views).

That's an interesting thread; didn't know it existed. Best I didn't, as if time prevailed I would have felt compelled to comment in which case it may have travelled for well beyond 4 posts (with some passion in the mix). For example, Dr Shermer's writings would certainly not been among my "favourite". I respect the guy & I can certainly see why people resonate with his views (the reasons for which are no doubt related to the above points/quotes). I have critiqued his work (based against sound evidence) before on another forum which didn't go down too well. Now when I indicated "irony" earlier, Dr Shermer's bias & ignorance in certain areas (one of which he was considering majoring in early in his career) is case in point. Anyway, I'll refrain from alluding any further which will inevitably lead to other controversial issues (albeit, still related to the topics discussed i.e. beliefs & pseudoscience affecting evidence based knowledge).

I have two quotes I would like to add which does also throw light on the above issues discussed (including the pseudoscience/barefoot evangelism/internet 'medical' advice issue)...

“If you make people think they are thinking, they will love you... but if you make them think, they will hate you”... Will Durante.

&...

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination"... Mark Twain.

I also wonder if we should consider the principles of Occam's razor (principle of parsimony) in the above mix...

I feel certainly a valid principle to keep in mind on topics such as this (& the side issues that creep in i.e. Origins, heel to forefoot midsole pitch etc...) where, what can be seen as obscure viewpoints/reasoning (i.e. Ad hoc hypothesis) are added in an attempt make one’s agenda (world view) try to fit the data/evidence. Yet sometimes the obvious or simplest hypotheses can be the scariest/daunting for some... due to the potential implications they can invoke.

Sorry for the length (it's the passion ;)).

9. Ricko

Ricko Member

Thanks Craig, it really sounds like a 'line in the sand' tour, coming at a time when we are seeing the pace come back a bit on the minimalist side of things, moreso than just things like vibram sales dropping back, but more broadly with patients wanting to know more about 'efficiency', and less about the language of the extreme. What i see clinically and in the wholesale/retail world now is more of a morphing into 'efficiency' and 'form' for running.

Saucony are betting everything on this with their range now at zero drop to 4mm with flagship shoes in 8mm. Asics have their approach carefully with Gel Lyte 33, Brooks with their 6mm pure project range. The commentary from the brands has changed though hasn't it.

Commentary from the brands along the lines of 'we have learned from barefoot and minimalism to produce.....' Yes, the next generation is upon us...surely they got it right this time! ie, repositioning from the more extreme. See the commentary from Wolverine (Saucony & Merrell) the SGB weekly last week as a case in point.

Look forward to seeing you in Melbourne then Craig and listening to you 'keeping the bastards honest'....well at least watch you try ;)

10. Ricko

Ricko Member

11. Jon Watson

Jon Watson Member

Craig,

Is it important/recommended to attend a v1.0 before the 2.0?

Thanks,
    Jon.

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    No. They cover different content. 1.0 has been replaced by 1.5 (which is dropping some redundant content from 1.0 and adding content from 2.0)

13. jimmy

jimmy Member

Thanks Craig,

If some of us unable to make these dates, will it be available via portal education?

14. Bing_P

Bing_P Welcome New Poster

If we pay via PayPal, will there be a confirmation email regarding our spots for the bootcamp?

15. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Yes, but I a bit behind in sending them out!

16. Asher

Asher Well-Known Member

Hi Craig,

I'm signed up for Perth.

Do you know yet where it's held - I need to book accommodation and haven't received any details.

Rebecca

17. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

Hi just booked the Brisbane boot camp can you tell me were the venue will be.
    Thanks

18. dsfeet

dsfeet Active Member

boot camp

hi Craig
    could you please let me know the venue for the boot camp conference in sydney Ap ril 6 2013 asap. I have registered and need to book accomodation as live in a regional area. Accom can get hard to get close and costs rise , a venue plz

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  19. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Sorry, still working on finalizing them; just a few more days.

20. dsfeet

dsfeet Active Member

any Venue yet, only 1 week to find accomodation????
    sorry to keep asking but do need to know plz\

21. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

Hiya,
    I want to book melbourne but the site won't accept my Visa. Is it possible for a space to be held for me until next week (payday) when i can use my debit card please?
    Thanks

Tracy

22. JonathanH

JonathanH Member

Hi Craig,

What is the latest regarding time and venue for Sydney April 6th?

23. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  24. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  25. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

Hiya,

Has the venue for the Melbourne bootcamp been finalised yet?
    Got a place- woohoo!

26. Jo BB

Jo BB Active Member

Hi Craig,
    Your Bootcamp sounds enlightening. But it is so secret squirrel! I have a rendezvou but not roll call for ETA for Brisbane tomorrow. Has my pidgin been shot down?
    Cheers,
    JoBB

27. podesh

podesh Active Member

I think 9am start? Cheers esher

28. louise m

louise m Member

Re: Lest we forget

Hi Craig

Knowing that you are now online, can you let me know the venue and time for the bootcamp in Melbourne on Saturday?

I registered online but have no confirmation or details.

Cheers

Lou Marker

29. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Re: Lest we forget

The info was sent the email that you paid with: markerreynolds@bogpond.com

Holiday Inn on Flinders @ 9.00AM

30. louise m

louise m Member

Having just read all the moving tributes to commemorate ANZAC day I realise that the question I just posted is definitely in the wrong thread!

Sorry people to introduce the prosaic into the poetic.

31. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I moved it :drinks

32. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

Hiya Craig,

Thanks for a great Bootcamp.
    Lots to think about and re-reading my notes.

Any idea when you'll be able to get the certificates out? I know you've got a busy schedule.

Thanks again, and looking forward to the next one.
    :drinks

Tracy

33. dsfeet

dsfeet Active Member

Hi Craig, Just a reminder to you that you promised to post lecture notes for the bootcamp in Sydney held just recently as you didn't have them on the day and also could please send a certificate for both myself and Manny Dhillon for attendance for our CPD requirements.

Thanks
    Debbie

34. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

brisbane boot camp april 2013

When do we get out certificates from the Brisbane boot camp?

35. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Re: brisbane boot camp april 2013

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die. ...... hopefully get them done this week!

36. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

Thank you
    I thought you had forgotten

37. Narelle

Narelle Member

Highly recommend this latest instalment of the Bootcamp, but Craig, what about the notes for Sydney attendees?

38. Narelle

Narelle Member

Has anyone received Certificates or notes yet for the Sydney attendees?

39. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Narelle - these were sent way back; will resend yours.

40. Narelle

Narelle Member

Thanks Craig, you can just email them to me, I am looking for the next Boot Camp instalment next year!!