Home Forums Marketplace Table of Contents Events Member List Site Map Register Mark Forums Read



Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums, for communication between foot health professionals about podiatry and related topics.

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, earn CPD points and access many other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisments in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Tags: , ,

Adverse effects of homeopathy

Reply
Submit Thread >  Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Google Submit to Yahoo! This Submit to Technorati Submit to StumbleUpon Submit to Spurl Submit to Netscape  < Submit Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12th February 2013, 04:14 PM
NewsBot's Avatar
NewsBot NewsBot is offline
The Admin that posts the news.
 
About:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Zoo, where all good monkeys should be
Posts: 12,809
Join Date: Jan 2006
Marketplace reputation 53% (0)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 550 Times in 450 Posts
Default Adverse effects of homeopathy

Podiatry Arena members do not see these ads
Adverse effects of homeopathy: a systematic review of published case reports and case series
P. Posadzki, A. Alotaibi, E. Ernst
International Journal of Clinical Practice; Volume 66, Issue 12, pages 1178–1188, December 2012
Quote:
Aim:  The aim of this systematic review was to critically evaluate the evidence regarding the adverse effects (AEs) of homeopathy.

Method:  Five electronic databases were searched to identify all relevant case reports and case series.

Results:  In total, 38 primary reports met our inclusion criteria. Of those, 30 pertained to direct AEs of homeopathic remedies; and eight were related to AEs caused by the substitution of conventional medicine with homeopathy. The total number of patients who experienced AEs of homeopathy amounted to 1159. Overall, AEs ranged from mild-to-severe and included four fatalities. The most common AEs were allergic reactions and intoxications. Rhus toxidendron was the most frequently implicated homeopathic remedy.

Conclusion:  Homeopathy has the potential to harm patients and consumers in both direct and indirect ways. Clinicians should be aware of its risks and advise their patients accordingly.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12th February 2013, 04:16 PM
Admin2's Avatar
Admin2 Admin2 is offline
Administrator
 
About:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 3,771
Join Date: May 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 15
Thanked 128 Times in 113 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Related threads:
Other threads tagged with homeopathy
Homeopathy and Sports Injury
Homeopathic Dr's Find That Homeopathic Pills do not Even Have A Placebo Effect!
Draft finding labels homeopathy unethical
Complementary medicine researcher slams homeopathy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17th February 2013, 09:42 AM
Stanley's Avatar
Stanley Stanley is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 494
Join Date: Mar 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsBot View Post

Results:  In total, 38 primary reports met our inclusion criteria. Of those, 30 pertained to direct AEs of homeopathic remedies; and eight were related to AEs caused by the substitution of conventional medicine with homeopathy. The total number of patients who experienced AEs of homeopathy amounted to 1159. Overall, AEs ranged from mild-to-severe and included four fatalities. The most common AEs were allergic reactions and intoxications. Rhus toxidendron was the most frequently implicated homeopathic remedy.

Conclusion:  Homeopathy has the potential to harm patients and consumers in both direct and indirect ways. Clinicians should be aware of its risks and advise their patients accordingly.
If there is nothing in the homeopathic remedies except sugar, then what is the mechanism of causing allergic reactions? What are they allergic to?
Would this be what they call a homeopathic proving?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17th February 2013, 11:13 AM
DAVOhorn DAVOhorn is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lowestoft,Suffolk, UK
Posts: 429
Join Date: Feb 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 105 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

I always understood that Homeopathy was sterile deionised water with a dilution of the active ingredient that was so dilute that not even one atom was left. It was the waters memeory that gave the alleged therapeutic benefit.

I did not think sugar was used in the dilutions.

So if people have had a reaction to Homeopathy it could most likely be an adverse reaction to placebo effect.

So i am even more confused to what goes on with the complimentary therapies as i always believed that they were exclusively Placebo Effect.

David
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17th February 2013, 11:39 AM
Andy A's Avatar
Andy A Andy A is offline
Senior Member
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 58
Join Date: Mar 2011
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

If homeopathy works why dont people fill their cars with water and make them run on the memory of petrol?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17th February 2013, 05:07 PM
Stanley's Avatar
Stanley Stanley is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 494
Join Date: Mar 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
If homeopathy works why dont people fill their cars with water and make them run on the memory of petrol?
Hi Andy,
The reason that is stated as to why homeopathy doesn't work is just the fact that you are stating. There is nothing there. I get that part.
The part I don't get is that there is an allergic reaction.
Why would a patient get an allergic reaction to nothing?
My understanding of homeopathy is that the dilution is then sprayed on sugar pellets. But I don't recall of anyone who died from a very small amount of sugar.
The other interesting thing in this article is that there was one specific homeopathic remedy that caused the majority of problems.
Also looking at the article, the adverse reactions attributed to these remedies are quite severe like malignant melanoma, parasitaemia or necrosis of the pancreas.
Could a placebo cause this?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21st February 2013, 07:16 AM
Simon Spooner's Avatar
Simon Spooner Simon Spooner is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Posts: 7,691
Join Date: Aug 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 434
Thanked 1,023 Times in 753 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Daily mail has this today:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...=feeds-newsxml
__________________
Who? What? When? Why? Yeah? And? So? What?

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21st February 2013, 07:19 AM
Simon Spooner's Avatar
Simon Spooner Simon Spooner is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Posts: 7,691
Join Date: Aug 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 434
Thanked 1,023 Times in 753 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Hi Andy,
The reason that is stated as to why homeopathy doesn't work is just the fact that you are stating. There is nothing there. I get that part.
The part I don't get is that there is an allergic reaction.
Why would a patient get an allergic reaction to nothing?
My understanding of homeopathy is that the dilution is then sprayed on sugar pellets. But I don't recall of anyone who died from a very small amount of sugar.
The other interesting thing in this article is that there was one specific homeopathic remedy that caused the majority of problems.
Also looking at the article, the adverse reactions attributed to these remedies are quite severe like malignant melanoma, parasitaemia or necrosis of the pancreas.
Could a placebo cause this?
Nocebo.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo
__________________
Who? What? When? Why? Yeah? And? So? What?

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21st February 2013, 12:20 PM
Stanley's Avatar
Stanley Stanley is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 494
Join Date: Mar 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spooner View Post
Hi Dr. Spooner,
Thanks for your reply. I had considered Nocebo, but quickly rejected it.
Since you read my post before you answered, I am sure that you noticed that one patient developed parasitaemia.
That is called spontaneous generation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation

I don't believe in spontaneous generation, but I am surprised that you do.
Could you show me some studies that support your position?

Regards,
Stanley
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21st February 2013, 12:35 PM
Simon Spooner's Avatar
Simon Spooner Simon Spooner is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Posts: 7,691
Join Date: Aug 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 434
Thanked 1,023 Times in 753 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Hi Dr. Spooner,
Thanks for your reply. I had considered Nocebo, but quickly rejected it.
Since you read my post before you answered, I am sure that you noticed that one patient developed parasitaemia.
That is called spontaneous generation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation

I don't believe in spontaneous generation, but I am surprised that you do.
Could you show me some studies that support your position?

Regards,
Stanley
I was answering your question that you had asked a couple of times:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
If there is nothing in the homeopathic remedies except sugar, then what is the mechanism of causing allergic reactions? What are they allergic to?
Would this be what they call a homeopathic proving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Hi Andy,

The part I don't get is that there is an allergic reaction.
Why would a patient get an allergic reaction to nothing?
Answer: nocebo effect. I saw that placebo effect had been mentioned, but not nocebo effect- these are not the same and I would not "quickly reject" the nocebo effect in terms of "allergic reactions" observed in response to homeopathy as you have done.

I was not answering your latter questions regarding parasitaemia, but since you've asked:

You can't develop parasitaemia unless you've got a parasite infestation. Pararasites clearly can't come from homeopathy unless a homeopathic solution/ pill contains parasites and/ or eggs- perhaps in this case the homepathic solution did and they even put it straight into their blood-stream (what was the parasite in question?), who knows? Or, if the individual used a homeopathic preparation to "treat" an existing parasite infection.

In other words, you can loose your straw-man argument trying to suggest that I somehow believe in spontaneous generation, Stanley. I'm guessing you know where I think you can put that along with the homeopathic pills, for all the good they'll do you.

Talking of pil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOCIP54PIQ
__________________
Who? What? When? Why? Yeah? And? So? What?

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21st February 2013, 12:36 PM
Deborah Ferguson Deborah Ferguson is offline
Senior Member
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 85
Join Date: Mar 2009
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Hi

I've heard of people using homeopathic preparations for malaria prophylaxis ( on the advice of a homeopath !!) rather than conventional antimalarials such as Chloroquine so I guess if the individual develops acute malaria this counts as an`adverse effect`.

Regards

Deborah
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21st February 2013, 12:40 PM
Simon Spooner's Avatar
Simon Spooner Simon Spooner is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: "I'm sick of flags - whatever colour. There's only one flag - the white flag.": Paul Hewson
Posts: 7,691
Join Date: Aug 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 434
Thanked 1,023 Times in 753 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Ferguson View Post
Hi

I've heard of people using homeopathic preparations for malaria prophylaxis ( on the advice of a homeopath !!) rather than conventional antimalarials such as Chloroquine so I guess if the individual develops acute malaria this counts as an`adverse effect`.

Regards

Deborah
Cross-posting. Agreed.
__________________
Who? What? When? Why? Yeah? And? So? What?

"My mission drive is to open up my eyes, 'cause the wicked lies and all the sh!te you say..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NW5S1UTPQ

"Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21st February 2013, 02:00 PM
horseman's Avatar
horseman horseman is offline
Senior Member
 
About:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: southern home counties
Posts: 38
Join Date: Apr 2011
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
If homeopathy works why dont people fill their cars with water and make them run on the memory of petrol?
which is now so expesive I only have a memory of being able to afford a full tank

Last edited by horseman : 21st February 2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21st February 2013, 03:56 PM
Robertisaacs's Avatar
Robertisaacs Robertisaacs is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kent
Posts: 4,285
Join Date: May 2006
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 454
Thanked 897 Times in 523 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
If homeopathy works why dont people fill their cars with water and make them run on the memory of petrol?
Because if you forgot to fill up, the amount of petrol would become smaller and thus more powerful, eventually blowing up your engine when it reached the octane level of jet fuel.
__________________
Robert Isaacs
Specialist in Biomechanical Therapies

small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe

Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

The opinions expressed are those of the author.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robertisaacs For This Useful Post:
Tkemp (4th March 2013)
  #15  
Old 21st February 2013, 04:30 PM
Stanley's Avatar
Stanley Stanley is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 494
Join Date: Mar 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spooner View Post
Cross-posting. Agreed.
Dr. Spooner and Dr. Ferguson,
Thanks for the explanation as to how parasitaemia can be an adverse reaction to homeopathic remedies.
As a result I looked further into it, and you were correct.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1119022/

Regards,
Stanley
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21st February 2013, 04:49 PM
Deborah Ferguson Deborah Ferguson is offline
Senior Member
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 85
Join Date: Mar 2009
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Wink Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Hi Stanley

Think I've been mistakenly elevated - it's Deborah not Doctor

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 3rd April 2013, 03:51 PM
CPedTechie's Avatar
CPedTechie CPedTechie is offline
Member
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Join Date: Mar 2009
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/
__________________
Doug Benoit
C Ped Tech (C)
Biotech Orthotic Design
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 3rd April 2013, 04:26 PM
David Wedemeyer's Avatar
David Wedemeyer David Wedemeyer is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Posts: 854
Join Date: Apr 2008
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 394
Thanked 155 Times in 106 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
If there is nothing in the homeopathic remedies except sugar, then what is the mechanism of causing allergic reactions? What are they allergic to?
Would this be what they call a homeopathic proving?
Stanley it is not merely sugar but dilute quantites of agents many of us have probably never heard of, manufactured by people we've probably never heard of and possibly in countries we'd never visit.
__________________
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance." - Orville Wright

David G. Wedemeyer, D.C., C.Ped.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:49 PM
Stanley's Avatar
Stanley Stanley is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 494
Join Date: Mar 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 22
Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wedemeyer View Post
Stanley it is not merely sugar but dilute quantites of agents many of us have probably never heard of, manufactured by people we've probably never heard of and possibly in countries we'd never visit.
Hi David,

Now I am confused.
That was my original thought as to why there were adverse reactions.
The consensus seems to be that there is nothing in these remedies, so the adverse affects are due to the nocebo effect.
Dr. Spooner is more versed than me on the nocebo effect.
However, being a chiropractor, you may know other chiropractors that use them and have a better first hand knowlege about how well it works or doesn't (placebo or nocebo).
I looked at the article, and some of these substances I do know (like Thuja [that is a plant that is in front of my office], Echinacea [ the purple coneflower], Cuprum metallicum [sounds like Copper], Arsenicum sulfuratum [sounds like Arsenic sulfate or sulfide], but most I don't (like ledum or Rhus Toxicodendron and a whole host of others)
I started to look some of them up.
Rhus toxicodendron is Poison Ivy,http://www.healthline.com/galeconten...-toxicodendron and a mother tincture is the plant soaked in alcohol http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...other+tincture
The article shows the adverse effect being wide spread dermatitis and leukocytosis. If a patient ingested poison ivy, I wouldn't be too surprised to see this side effect, so you may be right.


Regards,
Stanley
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 4th April 2013, 08:42 AM
W J Liggins W J Liggins is offline
Podiatry Arena Veteran
 
About:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Warwickshire
Posts: 1,165
Join Date: Oct 2004
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 153
Thanked 327 Times in 227 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

My understanding is that in mainland Europe homeopathic practitioners use various dilute herbal and other 'treatments' in addition to the 'remedies' ie. nonsense dilutions, understood as homeopathy in the UK and the US, hence the malaria noted above.

Just off to have a large glass of water with one tiny drop of St.Emilion - by gum, does it taste good!

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 3rd July 2013, 02:21 PM
Craig Payne's Avatar
Craig Payne Craig Payne is offline
Moderator
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything
 
About:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
Join Date: Aug 2004
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 85
Thanked 797 Times in 549 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

ASA Smacks Down Homeopathy
__________________
Craig Payne
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Follow me on Twitter | Run Junkie | Latest Blog Post: Review of Lieberman et al’s (2010) paper in Nature on Barefoot Running
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 4th December 2013, 02:22 PM
akn102 akn102 is offline
Member
 
About:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Forest
Posts: 25
Join Date: Nov 2005
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

An interesting study but my thoughts are:

This was a very small study
We need comparative studies of looking at success claims of homeopathy
We need to maintain an open mind;

Science is fluid and ever-evolving, it this were not the case we'd still be carrying out the same treatments as they were 100 years ago - with that in mind we should remember that new evidence may come to light and it is surely unscientific to simply disregard something because it doesn't fit our current mould of what we subjectively believe is 'good' science......

A while ago people completely disregarded herbs as medicinal treatment. Yet, if herbs have no effect whatsoever, how is that St johns wort, for example, is cited as blocking the effects of certain pharmeuticals....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 4th December 2013, 02:41 PM
Craig Payne's Avatar
Craig Payne Craig Payne is offline
Moderator
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything
 
About:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
Join Date: Aug 2004
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 85
Thanked 797 Times in 549 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akn102 View Post
An interesting study but my thoughts are:

This was a very small study
It was not a study. It was a higher level systematic review
Quote:
We need comparative studies of looking at success claims of homeopathy
There have been plenty of them. they all showed it does not work
Quote:
We need to maintain an open mind;

Science is fluid and ever-evolving, it this were not the case we'd still be carrying out the same treatments as they were 100 years ago - with that in mind we should remember that new evidence may come to light and it is surely unscientific to simply disregard something because it doesn't fit our current mould of what we subjectively believe is 'good' science......

A while ago people completely disregarded herbs as medicinal treatment. Yet, if herbs have no effect whatsoever, how is that St johns wort, for example, is cited as blocking the effects of certain pharmeuticals....
You are confusing "herbs" and "homeopathy".

Homeopathy is a fraud and a scam. It is physiologically impossible for homeopathy to work. Anyone with an 'open mind' can see that.

Now that it is clear that homeopathy is no better than water, the scammers and fraudsters are trying to change the 'rules of science' and say that it does not apply to homeopathy.

Just this AM, there was this etry in the Encyclopedia of American Loons:
Quote:
Even more interesting, he is sort of aware that there is no scientific evidence for his beliefs. So how does he deal with that? Katz wants to allow for “a more fluid concept of evidence” to be applied to CAM. This way modalities he favors, such as homeopathy, that have failed by the generally accepted rules of science can still win – just change the rules “fluid” rules. “I think we have to look beyond the results of RCTs in order to address patient needs today, and to do that I’ve arrived at the concept of a more fluid form of evidence than many of us have imbibed from our medical educations,” says Katz. In other words, when rigorous scientific investigations fail to show the efficacy of his woo, then he wants to be able to change the rules for what counts as evidence – surely, when Katz likes a treatment, then anecdotes, for instance, should count (insofar as those anecdotes support his beliefs, of course). And current science is also close-minded indoctrination becuase it doesn’t agree. “Science does not make assertions about what cannot be true, simply because evidence that it is true has not yet been generated. Science does not mistake absence of evidence for evidence of absence [how many times does that ridiculous nonsense have to be repeated]. Science itself is fluid,” continues Katz, displaying an understanding of science so shallow that it almost beggars belief, concluding that since there is an absence of evidence for homeopathy, it must work.
http://americanloons.blogspot.com.au...avid-katz.html

If anyone is helped with homeopathy, then the affect was purely an expensive placebo.
__________________
Craig Payne
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Follow me on Twitter | Run Junkie | Latest Blog Post: Review of Lieberman et al’s (2010) paper in Nature on Barefoot Running
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 5th December 2013, 03:41 PM
horseman's Avatar
horseman horseman is offline
Senior Member
 
About:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: southern home counties
Posts: 38
Join Date: Apr 2011
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 23
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

If anyone is helped with homeopathy, then the affect was purely an expensive placebo.[/quote]

Don't dismiss the placebo, look at the work at the Radcliffe on pain relief...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 5th December 2013, 04:12 PM
Craig Payne's Avatar
Craig Payne Craig Payne is offline
Moderator
Professor of Life, The Universe and Everything
 
About:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,755
Join Date: Aug 2004
Marketplace reputation 0% (0)
Thanks: 85
Thanked 797 Times in 549 Posts
Default Re: Adverse effects of homeopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
Don't dismiss the placebo, look at the work at the Radcliffe on pain relief...
I would never dismiss the placebo effect - its powerful.

I just object to homeopathy charging a lot of money for water. That is fraud and dishonest.

Here is my daughter testifying just how powerful the placebo is:

__________________
Craig Payne
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
Follow me on Twitter | Run Junkie | Latest Blog Post: Review of Lieberman et al’s (2010) paper in Nature on Barefoot Running
God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things - right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Translate This Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discovery Of New Biological Pathway May Aid In The Redesign Of Certain Diabetes Drugs To Eliminate Or Reduce Adverse Side Effects RSSFeedBot Latest Diabetes Medicine Research & News 0 11th October 2012 03:20 AM
Clarity needed on how and when to report medical adverse events RSSFeedBot American Medical Association News 0 23rd January 2012 12:00 AM
Adverse neural tension LMadeley Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses 9 24th September 2008 06:51 AM
Recognising an adverse drug event NewsBot General Issues and Discussion Forum 1 21st February 2008 03:00 PM
Minimizing Adverse Drug Events in Older Patients NewsBot Gerontology 1 17th December 2007 12:43 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

Finding your way around:

Browse the forums.

Search the site.

Browse the tags.

Search the tags.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 AM.