Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Criteria for orthotic prescription variables

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by lgs, Aug 20, 2005.

1. lgs

lgs Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi

Can anyone help, can anyone define the following for me & outline their importance. Any help greatly appreciated.

Medial Addition, Lateral Addition, Heel Skive, Heel Contact Point & Orthosis Pitch.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2005
  2. Medial addition: Also known medial expansion. Modification added to medial longitudinal arch area of positive cast to lower medial longitudinal arch height of orthosis.

Lateral addition:
    Also know as lateral expansion. Modification added to lateral aspect of heel cup and lateral aspect of forefoot of positive cast to widen and lower the lateral edge of the orthosis.

Heel skive: Medial heel skive is a varus angulated removal of material from medial plantar heel cup of positive cast to effect an increased varus shape to the heel cup of the orthosis. Lateral heel skive is a valgus angulated removal of material from lateral plantar heel cup of positive cast to effect an increased valgus shape to the heel cup of the orthosis.

Heel contact point: That portion of plantar heel cup of an orthosis shell that is in contact with the supporting surface while the orthosis is resting on that surface.

3. snoopy

snoopy Welcome New Poster

Hi,

Is the 'medial addition' therefore the same as 'medial expansion' on orthosis scripts?

I got a little confused with the terminology as ' Medial Expansion' depth were the terms used when I trained (denoting depth of arch fill). What also confused me was an Item from RX lab which referred to a 'Modified Medial Addition'. Extract pasted below:

'The Modified Medial Addition'

'All functional orthoses should be manufactured over positive models with a Modified Medial Addition added. This will help the orthosis shell to allow first ray plantarflexion during the propulsive phase of gait. The traditional Root functional orthosis has a plaster ‘Medial Expansion’ added to the longitudinal arch
    area of the positive cast which contours the orthosis shell away from foot for comfort. This was introduced especially for patients with a metatarsus adductus foot type who seemed to get shell irritation in the long
    arch. At RX Laboratories, the Modified Medial Addition is used on all positive casts and this differs from the medial expansion in that it is prominent and distinctly defined shaft of plaster added along the inferior aspect of the 1st metatarsal, back to the sustentaculum tali. This attempts to allow adequate first ray
    plantarflexion during propulsion.
    The depth of the Modified Medial Addition is based on the degree of 1st ray plantarflexion measured during the biomechanical examination. This addition creates a distinct and visible longitudinal groove on the dorso-medial aspect of the orthosis shell.'

I would dearly like this clarified!

Many thanks

4. Did you read my posting that was just before yours?

5. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member