Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Hallux Malleus

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Anthony Hoffman DPM, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Anthony Hoffman DPM

Anthony Hoffman DPM Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Surgical pearls for a flexible hallux malleus in a 12 year old. Mostly complains of a painful callus on the IP joint. Should I do a FHL release? What are the long term problems with doing a FHL release?

2. I would Have the child wear shoes with larger toe boxes until the growth plates close. Then, if they still want the procedure once the growth plates have closed, I would either do an IPJ arthrodesis or a FHL lengthening procedure so the power of the FHL (ankle joint plantarflexion moment, STJ supination moment, MTJ plantarflexion moment, first ray, 1st MPJ and hallux IPJ plantarflexion moment) is not totally lost.

Sounds like an interesting case. Could you post up photos here since this is not a common clinical scenario?

3. Anthony Hoffman DPM

Anthony Hoffman DPM Welcome New Poster

Here are some xrays. Sorry for the poor quality.

Attached Files:

4. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

5. efuller

efuller MVP

Hi Tony,
    The master knot of Henry is a slip that goes from the FHL tendon to the distal slips of FDL. It is variable. It may go to just the 2nd or the 2nd and 3rd. It's effect can be seen when a subject is trying to plantar flex just the hallux IPJ. When you do this dorsiflex the ankle.

So, cutting and effectivley lengthening the FHL tendon at the toe does not eliminate the pull at the other distal insertions. Post release, you could get a hammertoe of the 2nd and possibly the 3rd from the action of the FHL muscle.

I agree with Kevin's point about conservative measures. If it is still a problem after skeletal maturity you could consider an IPJ fusion.

Eric