Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Veteran's small victory in row over toenails

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by admin, Aug 26, 2005.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    As follow up to this story: NHS tells veteran 'get a neighbour to cut your toenails'

From the Yorkshire Post

2. Who wants a wager that once commissioning is introduced, stories like these will be a thing of the past?

3. Stephen Moore

Stephen Moore Member

Elderly and nail care

Mark

I am not a betting man, so ethics wouldn't permit me to take your money :)

Do you really think practice-based commissioning will get rid of this problem? If so in what way?

Practices commissioning social nail care service? If so provided by whom? How funded?

Or

Practices don't commission social nail care services? insisting its up to the patients and/or carers (in this case family and professional carers employed by the home).

Regards

Stephen

4. I can understand your concerns and where you're coming from Stephen, but I respectively suggest you've already answered your own question.
    And yes I do, providing the market is fully opened up, because what you don't see as a priority, others will.

Best wishes

Mark

5. C Bain

C Bain Active Member

The Market?

Hi Stephen,

Quote:- 'Practices don't commission social nail care services?'

My interest is in not whether Practices commissioning Social nail care Services. But whether the end product will be no general practice because the patient who is our market has, putting it crudely made an exit and gone elsewhere? (Pays less money you know to whoever in fees!).

A whole host of professionals and technicians waiting in the wings, perhaps!!!. The consequences of devaluing the bread and butter of Chiropody perhaps? Down grading it from a medical to a social treatment in the NHS. not a good idea for us? If that is really what is happening? Will it devalue the profession! Perhaps what is left will return to, "I know who they are but podiatrists? I thought my doctor did that?

Regards,

Colin.

PS. An aside, years ago in England it was made an unlawful act for a police officer to go on strike, (A criminal offence!)! The Uniformed Brigade were split into three parts,

1. The Police did not take the money but accepted a rent allowance! Granted because government wanted to keep control of where a police officer lived. As a result in the late Twentieth Century a police officer got another months wages in back taxes each year.

2. The Firemen took the money and lived in, to a certain extent. I'm not sure of the actual drop back in wages as a result but I believe they dropped two month in wages by the late part of the Twentieth Century, A lot with a second job?

3. The Ambulance men ended up no where by the end of the Twenty Century with regards to pay when compared to the other two! Authority did not care where they lived!

Granted there were other reasons for their disparity in wages other than the place of abode! The argument was that one division of the old Brigade was more skillful with more responsibilities than the other? But could I detect the fear of revolution and ending up like Russia today really have had something to do with it?

Someone might ask what has this got to do with Podiatry? My answer is devalue the job description and someone might just devalue you??? Government, Civil Service, officialdom or likewise (Academia perhaps?), do not need to learn new tricks, they have Centuries of experience at applying old ones!!!

PPS. Funny the PS.'s are getting longer than the actual posting again, but I hope of useful interest to some in focusing the mind!? (Yes I know I'm breaking the rules with "!?", but it can be fun whilst expressing oneself outside of normal to me boring English! I've finished, I think?

PPPS. Now, you were saying Stephen?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005