Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

articles requested for the effect of functional orthoses on plantar pressure in patients who pronate

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by stephen SA voetarts, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Good day all
    I am currently doing my thesis on the effect that the otrhoses made by students haveon the plantar pressure in patients who pronate excessively and would pls want some articles that could be recomended Thanks in advance

2. Seriously ? you want people to do your research for you.

Good luck , try Google and Google scholar for a start

I could give you in my day story before the internet and libraries but I will not waste any of your time as you have search engines to use

3. No just suggestion of where to look etc why can't I ask for suggestions of artilcles

4. No just suggestion of where to look etc why can't I ask for suggestions of artilcles

5. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

A big chunk of your degree learning process is to carry out your own research, part of which is exploring search engines and reading through refs to find out what is appropriate in your area of research. It can be tedious at times, but that's research for you.

You may ask on forums for references, but if you do that on here you will attract the type of (excellent) advice which Mike has already given.
    Mike, as usual, was very polite.
    He gave you two places to start looking. Google Scholar is particularly good.

Have fun.

6. Brian A. Rothbart

Brian A. Rothbart Well-Known Member

7. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

You won't necessarily want to quote one author either, or use his work as a source for all your refs.

That is all.

8. Thank you may you be blessed

9. Thanks I am exploring al other sources in our university library and their journal databases as well

10. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

Contact Tony Duffin. He did his PhD with me a million years ago on juvenile diabetic feet. Among other things, he looked at plantar pressures and orthoses, Rob

11. You should also be aware of the limitations of the technology and the implications that this has upon the conclusions drawn from research in which this technology is employed.

Spooner SK, Smith DK, Kirby KA.: In-shoe pressure measurement and foot orthosis research: a giant leap forward or a step too far? J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2010 Nov-Dec;100(6):518-29.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21084541

12. Super Pod Student:

First of all, welcome to Podiatry Arena.:welcome:

Before I get into answering your questions, I have a few suggestions for you.

First of all, you will receive many more responses if you give us your real name. Most of us are very busy and we will be more likely to answer your questions if we had your real name and know a little bit about you. Please provide your real name.

Secondly, you should not post messages up here on Podiatry Arena that appear like one of the text messages you send to your friends. This is an international academic forum with many very well-known podiatrists who lecture both nationally and internationally on your subject of interest. You should take the extra time to spell, punctuate and use proper grammar in your messages or you may be viewed by many as just another lazy podiatry student: something that many of us have seen over and over again and not worthy of our time and consideration. I'm sure you don't want that.

Third, when you ask a question of us, please tell us what you have already found about the subject so far in your own research. None of us want to do the work for you if you haven't already done some of the work yourself. Part of being a student is learning how to research a problem. I'm sure your instructors don't want us to do all the work for you.

Now, on to your question. Foot orthoses work by altering the plantar location, magnitude and temporal patterns of the ground reaction forces acting on the foot during weightbearing activities. In doing so, foot orthoses can not only affect the external moments acting across the joint axes of the foot and lower extremity but can also affect the internal moments, internal forces and internal stresses acting within the structural components of the foot and lower extremity.

As Dr. Spooner noted, plantar pressure measuring systems have the problem of not being able to detect medial-lateral or anterior-posterior shearing forces which may obscure the true nature of how foot orthoses perform their many therapeutic functions. Our paper from three years ago goes into this problem of not being able to detect non-vertical forces with plantar pressure measuring systems in great detail.

You may want to also ask your professor what the term "pronates excessively" actually means if indeed these are his/her words, and not your own. Is pronating excessively mean that subtalar joint is pronated from neutral (very, very common), the subtalar joint axis is excessively medially deviated (common), has a calcaneal bisection line that is everted to the ground (not a good indicator of subtalar joint rotational position or subtalar joint axis spatial location) or has symptoms related to excessive subtalar joint pronation moments??

If you want to continue this dialogue, taking my suggestions into consideration, I will take the time to answer your questions. I'm sure that many more podiatrists and podiatry students will likely also find the information valuable for their continued intellectual development.

13. Good day again
    I want to apologise for my poor grammar and spelling in my previous posts. After a few months of not having an internet connection I read over them and felt ashamed by how bad it was.
    Thank you mr Kirby for your suggestions I will truly take them into consideration whenever I post on this forum again.
    Regards
    Stephen J V