Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Fingernail avulsion with phenolisation

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by indiesagar, Aug 16, 2013.

1. indiesagar

indiesagar Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi guys,

Just had in my clinic, a 35 yo male patient with learning difficulties, who has a ingrowing distal fingernail.
    Ive never done a finger nail before, ive done over 2000 nail ops but not a finger. Is the process the same ? ive been looking online and theres little or no info on this procedure.
    do i inject at the base of the finger and phenolise as normal

Any advice would be greatly appriciatted.

many thanks

Indie Sagar
    Chorleychiropodypractice.co.uk

2. blumley

blumley Active Member

Are you legally covered to do this as a podiatrist? I wouldn't be so sure of it.

would a referral to his gp not much more appropriate

regards

ben

3. blumley

blumley Active Member

Are you legally covered to do this as a podiatrist? I wouldn't be so sure of it.

would a referral to his gp not much more appropriate

regards

ben

4. plevanszx1

plevanszx1 Active Member

my understanding is that you may perform on the hands those procedures that you are able to perform on the feet such as wart destruction and nail procedures etc. whether you would wish to phenolise a finger nail is another matter. in accident and emergency departments they have been known to remove the finger nail and trim it and then replace i have been told by the A&E consultant i worked with. i became annoyed when a junior doctor tried this procedure on a toe nail which did not work.
    that was the explanation i got from his consultant when i wrote a letter of complaint to him

5. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

If it is in your scope of practice, you perform the procedure on the finger nail as you would a toe nail.

Steven

6. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

My lady did hundreds, mainly for the burns unit, before the patient went into their pressure suit. The procedure is the same. In my day - about a million years ago, the legal situation was straightforward - if the procedure is the same as a pedal one then cover is ok. Rob

7. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

Yes I've done a few. No real difference in the procedure however I have never performed the procedure other than in theatre and with antibiotic cover. Dialysis patients do have finger nails that need rapid removal due to fluctuating oedema levels and are a portal of entry for nasty infections, you don't always need to do matrix phenolisation they frequently will settle without. I would say however with really high risk patients I used to opt for a total removal not partial as no incision was needed. Just a few thoughts to consider.