Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

How pseudoscience tries to fool you

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by NewsBot, Sep 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
  2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

There is no evidence based science that humans have an indwelling spirit or soul. We then must be pure physical matter and when we die, we become nothing but dust.

Skepticism is healthy, but I do believe there are things that science has yet to prove because we are much more than than our physical body and our powerful minds.

Steven

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Agreed, but I think many are not clear exactly what skepticism is. Skepitcal Raptor defines it as:
    I am a member of the Skeptics Society and listen to the Skeptics Guide to the universe on my longer runs! ... as they say in that "your escape to reality".

5. Dr. Steven King

Dr. Steven King Well-Known Member

Aloha,

I must admit that wanting something proven true is a slippery slope that all innovators must traverse delicately. Especially when there is financial gain or prestige involved.

Here is one of my favorite rebuttals to slippery slope science...

http://ramblerandom.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/fight-em-phiten/

How should we approach this "science" ?
    From Podiatry Management Webizine this week

"Earthing and grounding footwear has recently gained recognition from many in the medical industry. Dr. Roy Lidke, podiatrist and physicist, tends to agree regarding the massive healing potential in earthing. Dr. Lidke explains, “The greatest benefits of earthing lay in the potential for free electrons. Atoms and molecules do not like to be unbalanced - having a single electron in the outer shell of their structure."
    “Oxidative stress,” Dr. Lidke goes on to say, “is related to cell damage in the inflammatory process and can eventually lead to cell death," Lidke added. Luckily, grounding can provide the electrons for the atoms and molecules to alter these free radicals.
    Source: BioPortfolio [9/5/13]

Mahalo Craig for wearing crampons of solid science.

A Hui Hou,
    Steve

6. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
  7. akn102

akn102 Active Member

"There is no evidence based science that humans have an indwelling spirit or soul. We then must be pure physical matter and when we die, we become nothing but dust. "

Yep but on the other hand there can't be any 'evidence based science' because as of yet neuroscience has failed to ascertain where precisely on your brain your consciousness exists and therefore cannot comment or carry out any evidence based science. So we have no evidence either way. I highly recommend reading The Spiritual Brain or any work by Christian De Quincey! You can only measure (science) what you know about; you can't deny the existence of something because you can't find it!!!

8. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

QUOTE=akn102;326652

Yep but on the other hand there can't be any 'evidence based science' because as of yet neuroscience has failed to ascertain where precisely on your brain your consciousness exists and therefore cannot comment or carry out any evidence based science. So we have no evidence either way. I highly recommend reading The Spiritual Brain or any work by Christian De Quincey! You can only measure (science) what you know about; you can't deny the existence of something because you can't find it!!![/QUOTE]

My personal belief is that our body is just our vehicle for our spirit to explore, create, and learn from the greatest teacher of all, Life. Our spirit is beyond 3D so the rules and laws of the 3D linear world cannot apply. Our spirit has consciousness of the world and that awareness resides not in the brain but is rather decoded there. Our brain is simply the hardware and when it is unplugged, it is dead, but our consciousness follows our spirit and remains alive. Only my belief.

Steven

9. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Our brain is simply the hardware and when it is unplugged, it is dead, but our consciousness follows our spirit and remains alive. Only my belief.

Fine; and this is the difference between science and faith. My belief is that we had better do what we can to make some improvement - however small - in this existence because when we die, we die and can then have no effect.

All the best

Bill

10. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles: