Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Physicists probe urination 'splashback' problem

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by mike weber, Nov 6, 2013.

1. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Don't worry ladies. The equipment shown is NOT (emphasis) representative of the average male's - well, equipment! The subsequent waterfall does look highly artistic though, much better than anything by Tracy Emin.

Bill Liggins

2. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Is it splashback that causes the harsh and repeated criticism from mothers and other women or is it dribble? You know, that pool of pee that ends up in front of bowl when other men stand up to pee or forms a little river over the front of the toilet seat if they sit to pee.

I think dribble is a bigger problem and a more difficult one to solve?

Bill

PS Is there an evolutionary role to splashback and dribble? If not I think we men should invent one to save face.

3. W J Liggins

Hi Bill

The obvious evolutionary explanation is that we use a similar technique to the big cats, wolves and other animals to simply mark our territory. Hence the expression P*** Off!

All the best

Bill

4. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

See, my biggest question when aiming is whether the splashback is greater from hitting the water or from angling at the porcelain.

In an attempt not to have the whole world hear me urinate, I generally try to aim at the porcelain as the water creates a huge amount of noise. However, if it hits the pocelain at a steep angle the splashback is considerable. I generally try to aim for the parcelain but at the shallowest angle possible in order that the direction of urine flow is as close to the angle of the porcelain as possible - this will differ greatly depending on the toilet. For instance, in France, where a ledge is provided to allow the user to inspect their faeces, urinating into the porcelain to find an angle that matches the sloping wall can be something of a challenge.

I find that matching the angle of attack (as it were) to the porcelain gives the least splashback and also minimises the decibel level. However, I would like to see some more research on the question of porcelain vs the water.

That being said, since having kids, I do sit down frequently these days and here are my reasons - most of which involve an element of mutli tasking

1. I can sit down and read my emails
    2. I can brush my teeth
    3. I can shave (dry razor)
    4. I can get the kids dressed at the same time
    5. It stops the kids almost being urinated on when they appear at my side seemingly fascinated by the process like it is a completely alien concept to them(as if they do not themselves also have to urinate)

Interesting discussion

RP

5. Orthican

Orthican Active Member

Perhaps we need better entry control. To control the splash a better entry into the vessel is required. Might I suggest a louvered splash sheild to re direct and disperse the stream much like the rain louvers used in place of gutters? One that flips up of course otherwise the secondary reason for use of the same vessel becomes a messy affair.

6. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

Marking your territorial limits is one thing but surely one of the central features of 'splash back' is that you pee on yourself?

Of course it could be that splashback represents the original equivalent of aftershave or perfume. I am sure that at a subliminal level our pee speaks volumes about our genetic make up and our current health. So apart from marking out territory and territorial limits it also enhances,hopefully, in some way, the value of ones central real estate.

It raises many interesting questions.

In the great outdoors do men naturally seek out something vertical to pee against or are they equally happy just to pee on the ground?

If men do tend to seek vertical objects to pee against, is there a preferred distance from the object? Is there a preferred angle?

Is there an optimum 'volume' of splashback?

In the natural state how is the splashback distributed over the front of the peeer (the man who is peeing)?

In terms of volatility how does splashback react when it contacts skin or hair and is then gently warmed and gradually mixed with sweat and dirt?

Might aftershave etc be more effective if it was spread over the front of the legs and the tops of the shoes or feet?

Best wishes,

Bill

7. blinda

blinda MVP

And there was me, assured in the expectation that the purchase of a 'shewee' would simplify my life.

8. W J Liggins

All good questions, to which I would add that we spend far too much on aftershave, deodorants etc. when clearly we would be far more powerful and hence attractive to the ladies if we simply smelled of pee.

I think that this question in particular should go out to pee-er review!

Cheers

Bill

9. wdd

wdd Well-Known Member

The problem is that any old pee won't do. I would think its a little like a jigsaw puzzle. There is not ideal pee. What is needed is the matching male and female pees. Complementrary pees.

So re-stating what you said "....... and hence attractive to that group of ladies whose pee compliments our own".

as the song says, "and they meet, not only by chance".

Best wishes,

Bill

10. jeffhicken

jeffhicken Welcome New Poster

11. blinda

blinda MVP

12. Orthican

Orthican Active Member

Perhaps the best way to eliminate the splashback problem is not to pee in a urinal or toilet. Carpeting does not splash back and the stain is easily stream cleaned away...lol

https://www.buystreamclean.com/