Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

High heel footwear related injuries presenting to emergency departments

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by NewsBot, Jan 22, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The Age are reporting:
    High heels a painfully low point for hundreds
    Full story

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. I now tell my female patients who continue to insist on wearing high heel shoes that they should definitely continue wearing these types of shoes....because........"You know, I still have a mortgage to pay!".....;)

This type of comment generally gets the attention of these ladies better than saying that high heels are harmful for your feet.....that one they've heard all their lives and so it always goes in one ear and out the other.....:confused:

4. NewsBot

Articles:
  5. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Apologise in advance for saying such on a Podiatry forum - but yea, high heels are bad for your health... small amount of wear time might get you (i.e. a fall)... larger amount is bound to get you in some shape or form (research papers in this thread i.e. ankle, knee, spine trauma)... eventually. Even men can fall victim - so much for that other thread (in more ways than one).

There's plenty of video footage (i.e. YouTube) of models falling with them on runways... let alone other surfaces:

[​IMG]

6. NewsBot

Articles:
    An exploration of emergency department presentations related to high heel footwear in Victoria, Australia, 2006-2010
    Cylie M Williams and Terry P Haines
    Journal of Foot and Ankle Research 2014, 7:4 doi:10.1186/1757-1146-7-4

7. efuller

efuller MVP

Yesterday I had a 94 yo women walk into the office wearing bright red 4" spiked heels. She also had a mean equius and couldn't get her heel to the ground while barefoot. Gets severe calf pain when she doesn't wear heels. Never say always.
    Eric

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Epidemiology of High-Heel Shoe Injuries in U.S. Women: 2002 to 2012
    Justin Xavier Moore, MPH, Brice Lambert, MSPH, Gabrielle P. Jenkins, MSPH, Gerald McGwin Jr., MS, PhD
    Jnl Foot Ank Surg; Article in Press

9. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Well, with the evidence piling up on this thread, as well as the following thread: Effect of shoe heel height... let's hope it lays to rest the misogynistic claims (& the endorses thereof on this forum) targeted at those who voice concerns over the safety & health issues surrounding high heel shoes... on what should be a medical based Podiatry forum!

10. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

High heel related injuries are as varied as are the high heels themselves, never argue with a lady in heels!

Attached Files:

11. Phil3600

Phil3600 Active Member

12. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

That is what my husband says ;)

13. NewsBot

Articles: