Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Thinking about Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dale92, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dale92

Dale92 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear Podiatry colleagues,

I'm a podiatry student in Edinburgh in Scotland and I'm graduating next year. I want to come to Australia to work for a minimum of three years- I just don't know where to go? Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide? I also have other worries which may seem trivial but I really would like advice if anyone knows anything!
    - I use three inhalers- how is healthcare operated?
    - is there a large problem with bugs/ spiders in oz, as everyone is warning me about them!
    - what is the best city for a young person?
    -
    I would be so greatful if anyone knows anything and can share it with me! Thanks,
    Dale

2. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Lets see, healthcare system is most likely the best in the world but the bug and spider thing, dont give it a second thought.

Its the fact that we have the worlds largest bats, 1.7meter wingspan.
    The worlds largest crocodiles up to 4.8 meters.
    Then there are the sharks that patrol our beaches up to 6 meters.

But as l think back the spiders should rate a mention also- Sydney funnel web or worst still the red back on the dunny seat is a real worry.

But hey come on down under the weather is great!

3. Dale92

Thankyou so much for your reply! Sometimes it's the little (seemingly trivial) things which make you worry! Needless to say I will never google Sydney funnel web spider again!
    Thanks "boots'in all"

4. Donnchadhjh

Donnchadhjh Active Member

Hi Dale,

Where you go really depends on what you want out of life, and what your priorities are - Three years is a good length of time to get a reasonable understanding of how Australia compares to blighty. To spend three years in Australia you will have to get a temporary residence visa (or whatever the government calls them these days).

Personally I have never worked in a city, so I cannot advise you why you should or should not work in one place or another. My view is that Melbourne is similar to Manchester, or Leeds. Sydney is closest you will find to London (but very very tamed). Adelaide is small, but a bit like Edinburgh in that it has an 'alternative' culture based around food, and especially coffee. I have never been to Brisbane, so I can't really compare there.
    I wouldn't just focus on the cities though - Australia is a bloody big place (yes I know you know), but you don't fully appreciate how big it is until you get here and start driving. All of the UK can fit in Victoria, that means that the entire population of Australia could live in Victoria if they wanted to, and the rest of Aus would be vacant!
    The point is there is A LOT outside of your CBD's that is well worth considering; in my opinion a good idea is to look at a states regional centres that have larger populations. e.g. Victoria - city = Melbourne, also consider Dandenong, Geelong, Bendigo, Shepparton, Ballarat, Mildura...

Since coming to Australia I have only worked in 'rural, and remote' regions, and I have to say the job here is just as it is in the UK - its what you make it!

Healthcare is similar to the UK in as far as that it is free at the point of delivery (at the moment) in emergency situations. Depending on the state you move to Ambulance cover is strongly suggested/required. Most GP's charge fees which you can then claim a good portion back from the government. You will have to pay for your prescriptions for your inhalers, and depending on where you are depends on your access to Allied Health professionals.
    Just like the UK there is a bit of a postcode lottery where certain services will be available in certain areas, and other areas they will not - you've just got to remember that postcodes in country Australia are geographically MASSIVE compared to home.

I had a simple policy when I first came to Australia - assume everything can kill you - it means you ask lots of 'silly' questions, but you learn quickly and form your own opinion on whether something is dangerous (fresh water crocs - QLD, and NT is a good example). People go swimming with them frequently.

I hve PM'd you as well.

5. Deka08

Deka08 Active Member

If you haven't been here, it will all be new and, probably, a good experience. I don't think where you go is important, but who you work for. Get a good job, good boss/colleagues, you will find something good in your environment, no matter where you go. Work for a nut/soul crushing a*hole, and the whole of oz will look and feel like a waste land. If you like, find some maternity fills and cruise around the country doing that. Good way to get experience and see the place. Scottish? Join a rugby team - 20 new mates instantly, just add ruck. As for things that kill you, well, exercise caution swimming in rivers north of the Tropic of Capricorn. Swim between flags at the beach. And don't try and keep a snake because he followed you home.
    Crocs get bigger than 5m, Dave. 4.8, make us out to have namby pamby tiny crocs!
    I used to work in The 'Oisa Duncan. Great place.

6. Dale92

Derek the mat cover is a great idea! Thanks for your reply! And you're absolutely right about the place! I'm sure it will all be a new experience! I'm really looking forward to it! And I will remember thT snake advice! Not the same as Scotland where you can adopt every hedgehog you find roming in the garden! Ha
    Thanks again!

7. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Hi Dale,

In 2006 after years in UK NHS I decided that the cure for my Mid Life crisis was to travel halfway round the world to Sydney.

I got a sponsor via this website. I put a post in the Aus section and a large practice made me an offer I could not refuse.

They got me an E 457 work Visa which is a sponsorship visa. This visa importantly guaranteed a salary of $55,000.00 pa.

I was lucky as I had an excellent boss and great colleagues and earned a salary of about $100,000.00 each year over the 4 years I was there.

The shocks I experienced were the appalling Sydney work ethic. Damn they work real hard and long hours and commuting is a way of life. Also I was paying in 2006 $430.00 per week rent for a 1 bed apt in a nice part of Sydney. The cost of living in Sydney is very high.

I met the following spiders: Huntsman the size of my hand, St Andrews Cross , and the White Spot (potentially very nasty).
    Did not see any snakes, but a friend in QLD has an account with his Snake catcher.

On your Visa Medicare will offer Reciprocal Health Care , which is similar but not the same as NHS. Drugs can be very expensive especially as you have a chronic condition. Also you MUST get Ambulance insurance as in Sydney it is cheaper to fly than use an ambulance. Private Health care ins policy is adviseable but not essential.
    Where I lived it was $65.00 to see your GP plus prescription charges.

I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 years in Sydney, and as I say I had a great boss and colleagues.

My favourite place was Hobart Tasmania. Fantastic place loved it .
    Brisbane was fun but a bit like Great Yarmouth in the sun.
    Melbourne did not like. Sydney is enormous and can be fantastic or utterly horrible, so choose carefully. Adelaide very English and very pretty. Very friendly people too.
    Canberra is Milton Keynes with Politicians.
    Perth is pretty and unfriendly. However Fremnatle just down the road is very beautiful and very friendly.

North of Sydney about 4 hours is utterly fantastic , also so is 4 hours south eg Molly Mook, Narooma. The Blue Mountains 2 hours from Sydney is absolutely stunning. I loved Katoomba. If you love cars go to Bathurst.

If I was to go back I would move to either Hobart Tasmania or North of Brisbane say maryborough hervey bay.

In Sydney when you ask the time they reply 7 minutes and 46 seconds past 4. in Tasmania they reply Thursday. seriously Hobart iis one of my favourite places in the world.

A friend moved to Buderim an hour inland from Brisbane and he and his family love it, despite the enormous snakes in the garden.

So go for it, it will be a blast and a great life experience.

But I would reply and say that I prefer UK to Australia.

And do not tell Mr Salmond that you are leaving a soon to be Independent Scotland.

regards David:drinks

8. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

G'day Devo,
    Miss you. Everything you say is true. But Sydney is no more expensive than London. And it has PERFECT weather. Hobart is nice in Summer. (You missed the bit about the wonderful food. Here, and the chance of a cute Asian girlfriend) The idea of travelling around doing locums is a very good one. You need to see the whole country. There are Scots everywhere, refugees from the weather. If you come to Sydney, contact me, you can sleep on my sofa.

9. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Hi Carole,

Glad to hear you are well.

I would rather have an Aussie or European girlfriend, maybe South African or New Zealand.

Thanks for the offer of your settee.

I still prefer UK to Australia.

regards David:drinks