Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Fungal Nails - Canespro

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Blue123, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Blue123

Blue123 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

If any patients contact and me and say they have a fungal nail and can I get rid of it for them my first reaction is 'I wish I never answered the phone' or to inform them of nail surgery which 9 out of 10 dismiss...

Now one of my patients decided to go to boots and use Canespro, basically a urea ointment, and although it hasn't made a difference in 2-3weeks as they promised - 4 months later it appears to be at least 40% better...Coincidence???

Has anyone else had success with this urea based approach and would other cheaper urea products do the same job following that method?

2. donz1968

donz1968 Member

Hi Blue123

I have recommended this treatment to a patient after it was mentioned in one of the talks at the Primary Care Conference last month. It's meant to break down really dystrophic mycotic nails.

If you think about it, I'm not sure that it will destroy the dermatophytes as they are tenacious little things so it will be interesting to see how the nail progresses in the future. I'm with you though when you get that phone call!

Keep us informed.

Donna

3. Mike Plank

Mike Plank Active Member

Canespro does not treat Fungal infection directly. It breaks down the infected nail plate so it can be removed and then a suitable nail antifungal can be applied such as curanail etc. It speeds up treatment time by the antifungal treatment being applied to the deeper active fungal element. It also is more aesthetically acceptable for the patient. It is working well for one of my patients.

Mike

4. Mfreedman

Mfreedman Member

I've just had a patient return after using Cansepro for the last 3 weeks. Nails were very mycotic and dystrophic, the urea Rx has broken down almost all of the affected nail which he has cleared away with a plastic implement which comes with the Canespro. I would say it does look like all of the mycotic nail has been removed - it certainly looks a lot more impressive than most of the other topical Rxs available. The nail bed still looks quite mycotic, scaly and rough, so he is going to use Daktarin cream on this for a few weeks and we will reassess then. I was quite impressed with the 3 week result with the Canespro though.

5. blinda

blinda MVP

If the pt has taken the effort to avulse the nail plate with a urea preparation, then why not recommend a fungicidal instead of a fungistatic (which is the action of miconazole) anti-fungal?

6. Mfreedman

Mfreedman Member

Thanks Blinda, fair point!

7. I have has good results with cannespro for really thick and badly infected fungal nails but find it isnt great for mild fingal nails. It really just strips the nail away allowing the nail bed to be exposed so you can treat it with an antifungal (I use daktarin cream or lamasil spray and advice them to apply it twice daily for 4 weeks after finishing the cannespro treatment). But its still not the wonder treatment I would like