Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Kindly help - plantar pressure distribution

Discussion in 'Biomechanics, Sports and Foot orthoses' started by anv273, Jul 13, 2014.

1. anv273

anv273 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I am a masters student currently working on a project which involves foot pressure mapping.

Could somebody please tell me the percentage distribution of weight on different regions of the sole of the foot?

The regions are
    Heel , 1,2,3,4,5 Metatarsal heads and Hallux

2. N.Knight

N.Knight Active Member

Re: Kindly help

Surely this will be different in everyone, so many variables , stiffness , weight, pathology, plantar flexed 1st ray etc.

Then what is the best distribution?

What is your research question?

3. anv273

anv273 Member

Yes. It depends on a lot of factors. I will explain my requirement.

I am interested in static analysis of foot pressure distribution. i.e in a barefoot standing position.

Consider the case of a person with an average body weight. Say 70 kilograms (154.3 pounds)

How will be the body weight distribution on his foot? i.e What percentage of the total weight will be acting on his heel region?

Same in the case of other regions

4. anv273

anv273 Member

And this is in the case of a healthy person.

5. Griff

Griff Moderator

6. efuller

efuller MVP

I've looked at a lot of standing pressure maps. They are not all the same. What are you going to use the pressure distribution for. Is an average of several appropriate?

Eric

7. anv273

anv273 Member

I want to record the peak pressure recorded at the various points on the sole.

(Great toe, Metatarsal heads and Heel)

I want to analyse the variation of pressure distribution in standing for normal and diabetic subjects.

8. efuller

efuller MVP

Have you reviewed the literature. I think this has been done.

One problem with looking at peak pressures is that different measurement systems can give you different values. One reason for this is different sensor sizes.

Another issue you might have is identifying specific anatomic landmarks. One pressure measurement system has the ability to automatically calculate pressures in areas determined by percentages of length and width of the foot print. Feet with increased first and second intermetatarsal angle will be wider with a bigger gap between the first and second metatarsal heads. So, one percentage of width may not accurately delineate the area that you are interested in across all feet. Actually, that may make an interesting study. How, much error would be created if you used the same percentage for all feet as opposed to creating a percentage for each foot.

Good luck
    Eric

9. anv273

anv273 Member

Sir, Theoretically how are the different pressure areas determined w.r.t percentage of length and width of foot? Could you please explain it mathematically?

10. efuller

efuller MVP

I'm not sure I understand you question. Are you asking how the pressure within an area is determined or how the areas are determined?

If it's how the areas are determined.....
    You, the operator of the system, use the provided software and arbitrarily select a percentage of foot length as what you think the length of a particular body part should be. You could look at several x-rays of feet and look at total length of the foot and then arbitrarily decide on an anatomical landmark that delineates the beginning and end of an area that you want to study and then figure where that is relative to total length to give you a percentage. You could do this for several feet to create an average. Or you could do it for each foot.

Eric