Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Protocols On Managing Clinical Waste For Domicilary Treatments

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DAVOhorn, Oct 22, 2014.

1. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Dear All,

What are people doing for the management of Clinical Waste for Domiciliary Treatments.

Talking to a colleague it was stated that District Nurses are being asked to carry Clinical Waste in their own cars , then placing the waste in the appropriate disposal back at Base.

Now as a question how would a clinician be covered for carrying clinical waste in their car?

Should there be a notice on the car that Hazardous Clinical waste is being transported in the vehicle.

Does ones vehicle insurance cover this. What about in the event of an accident Recue Staff come into contact with this waste ?

Or Should the NHS put a yellow bin into each home and then send a man with a van to collect and replace the waste bin?

Apparently it has been suggested that Podiatry Staff may have to do the same.

I would not put Clinical Waste, yellow and red , into my vehicle. Ordinary waste eg nails and debrided tissue can go into domestic bin as per normal use.

An interesting dilemma:deadhorse:

David

2. David Widdowson

David Widdowson Active Member

You can only carry clinical waste if you have a licence from (I think it's called) the environmental waste agency. Those companies that collect clinical waste on contract from surgeries have this licence.
    Podiatrist who go in to homes produce "Domestic waste" that the patient puts in their bin, just like they would a sticking plaster or bandage.
    All the District nurses I know leave any waste with the patient, It would be unlawful to carry it out of the house because it is leaving the domestic setting and entering the public domain.
    That's my understanding but others may have a different opinion
    Regards
    David

3. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

I work p/t in a care home and the district nurses there leave their waste tied up tightly in plastic bags in the patient/residents room. Care staff then transfer this into the 'orange' bin outside which is routinely emptied by a clinical waste company.
    Claire

4. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

:eek:....I mean the district nurses leave their clinical waste....not any other kind!!

5. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

6. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Hi Catfoot,

Blood pus body fluid contaminated tissue, dressings, and other waste eg cotton wool, paper towel which also have been contaminated.

Nail debris and debrided skin is what a normal healthy person could do for them selves so is normal domestic waste.

I think David has put forward a reasonable reply.

David

7. Elizabeth Humble-Thomas

Elizabeth Humble-Thomas Active Member

The area of 'clinical waste' gets me a little hot under the collar. I pay quite a large amount to have a usually rather grubby yellow bin delivered every fortnight. (we clean the bin).Every two weeks a van has to drive int o the centre of town to swap the bin (fuel, exhaust pollution, traffic) In the bin is a bag containing, for example, a few dressings with dried blood/pus on them. Some used sterile rubber gloves, discarded sterile packaging.
    At home though, I could put any number of soiled sanitary towels/tampons, nappies full of stuff, mopped up dog/child vomit, incontinence pads etc., into the normal bin.
    Just saying ....